Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 09:43 PM CST
Elementalists skilled in Elemental Lores have the ability to temporarily boost magical weapons!

If the caster is ATTUNED to an element, the spell will use that element for the flare type, otherwise, the cast is a random flare type. Additionally, a minor critical weighting boost is added to the flares when the caster is ATTUNED to an element while casting on a weapon.

For those that love formulas, the gruesome details are: 400s spells known times 3 plus 20 equals the number of charges. Seed 3 EL:XXX ranks equals the plus magic weapon that can be E-Bladed. XXX is the elemental lore type with lightning being the greater of EL:Air or EL:Water ranks.

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 09:51 PM CST
As a follow up with some information:

The spell's duration was changed from (caster's level * 4) to (20 + MnE ranks * 3). Attacks, as well as successful parries now deplete a charge. Weapons without an existing special ability (flares or weighting mainly) can now be affected by the spell, including those that are already enchanted. To affect an enchanted weapon requires a seed 3 summation of the caster's attuned element per +1 (plus, enchant) of the weapon. For example, to eblade a mithril (+5) weapon would require 25 lore ranks. To eblade an imflass (+12) weapon would require 102 lore ranks. And to eblade vultite (+20) would require 250 lore ranks. For casters attuned to lightning, it will use their Elemental Lore, Air or Water (which ever is higher) to calculate their respective lore ranks. If the caster uses their actual attunement and not a random element (i.e. a fire mage casts 411 to grant fire flares), the flares from their cast are also more potent (higher floor for minimum damage).

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:00 PM CST
Does the 411 change also include using the DS reduction from the 502 on target's if the element of the self-cast 411 matches the vulnerability of the target due to 502?

... not sure I said that right, but you know what I mean.

~Whirlin
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:00 PM CST
Does this work with arrows for ranged?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:05 PM CST
Does this spell still work in part or in full if the weapon is used by someone other than the one who cast the spell?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:06 PM CST
>Does the 411 change also include using the DS reduction from the 502 on target's if the element of the self-cast 411 matches the vulnerability of the target due to 502?

>... not sure I said that right, but you know what I mean.

Totally don't know what you mean, but no. 411 has nothing to do with 502 to my knowledge.

>Does this work with arrows for ranged?

Yes, ranged ammo can be e-bladed as well.

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:09 PM CST
>Does this spell still work in part or in full if the weapon is used by someone other than the one who cast the spell?

The enhancements are applied to the weapon itself. So yes, one will still derive the same benefit from the spell on the weapon, no matter who wields it.

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:10 PM CST

>Totally don't know what you mean, but no. 411 has nothing to do with 502 to my knowledge.

Training in an Elemental Lore will cause targets to incur a DS penalty to successive bolt spells when the bolt's damage type matches the magic element surrounding the target AND the caster has ranks in that lore. This penalty also applies to weapon attacks if the weapon has been enhanced with the Elemental Blade (411) spell of the same element.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:11 PM CST
Eblading a plain jane weapon gives it a +20. Does eblading a normal mithril weapon give it a +25, plus flares?

Just want to make sure I understand it entirely.

Also, can you eblade holy metals, such as eonake (aside from the fact it would take 250 ranks to do so)?

-Drumpel
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:12 PM CST
>Does the 411 change also include using the DS reduction from the 502 on target's if the element of the self-cast 411 matches the vulnerability of the target due to 502?

>... not sure I said that right, but you know what I mean.

>Totally don't know what you mean, but no. 411 has nothing to do with 502 to my knowledge. <--dumb me

I am informed I was in error here. Yes, 502 does interact with 411. My apologies.

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:17 PM CST
>Yes, ranged ammo can be e-bladed as well.

Disregard, somehow I had 902 on my mind.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:17 PM CST
Are we anywhere close to being able to change the elemental attunement of characters? I have a fire attuned character with a lot of air lore who would like to utilize this spell.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:19 PM CST
>Eblading a plain jane weapon gives it a +20. Does eblading a normal mithril weapon give it a +25, plus flares?

>Just want to make sure I understand it entirely.

>Also, can you eblade holy metals, such as eonake (aside from the fact it would take 250 ranks to do so)?

-Drumpel

That is correct. E-blading ora should only take 75 ranks though. <grin>

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:20 PM CST
Oh, and BTW, this spell update is really awesome. Good job!
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:21 PM CST
CABSIN
Are we anywhere close to being able to change the elemental attunement of characters? I have a fire attuned character with a lot of air lore who would like to utilize this spell.

Yes, the method to reset your elemental attunement will be available in the very near future.

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:21 PM CST
Does this have any negative effects on e-blading master fletched arrows? Will a wizard require 25 ranks in lore to e-blade these arrows going forward?

And thanks for the update on 502! It may have been implemented since the start of 502, but was never quite sure... need a reattunement before I'll know!

~Whirlin
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:27 PM CST
This would be much better as a seed 1! It would still require enhancives to eblade a 4x weapon.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:35 PM CST
Will it be possible to use eblade (411) and the new 902 change (yet to be implemented) on the same weapon?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 10:41 PM CST
Do MIU/AS ranks count as MnE ranks for the purpose of duration?

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 11:19 PM CST
Now this looks like a good spell update.

Drauz
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 11:29 PM CST
Droit
Do MIU/AS ranks count as MnE ranks for the purpose of duration?

It wasn't before, but now is. Every rank counts for 1.5 charges.

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 11:46 PM CST
>It wasn't before, but now is. Every rank counts for 1.5 charges.

So at 101 MIU ranks, I'm looking at 171 charges per cast. Not thrilled about a 60% decrease in duration, but I guess it could be worse.

Does 411 still have somewhat reduced flare rates compared to normal flaring weapons?

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/19/2016 11:47 PM CST
Can enhancive weapons be ebladed so long as the bonus is within the requirement lore ranks of the caster?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 12:09 AM CST

Couple of things:

>To affect an enchanted weapon requires a seed 3 summation of the caster's attuned element per +1 (plus, enchant) of the weapon. For example, to eblade a mithril (+5) weapon would require 25 lore ranks.

You have to be attuned + same lore training to use the spell on magical weapons?

2. on a plain runestaff:

>411 my rune
You gesture at a crystal-set rosewood runestaff.
A bolt of energy leaps from your hand to the runestaff which seems to absorb the energy. After a few moments the runestaff begins to shine with a brilliant luminescence.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

>735 my rune
You gesture at a crystal-set rosewood runestaff.
Necrotic energy materializes around your rosewood runestaff and sinks onto it like an ethereal film.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>l my ru
The runestaff is surrounded by a scintillating red light.

The temporary ensorcell is not accounted for in the look
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 01:33 AM CST
<The spell's duration was changed from (caster's level * 4) to (20 + MnE ranks * 3)>

Why was the duration dropped so drastically?
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 02:59 AM CST

>This would be much better as a seed 1! It would still require enhancives to eblade a 4x weapon.

100% agree.

I like the idea of creating value in non-vultite weaponry, but that is still achieved with seed 1.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 03:30 AM CST
<<Why was the duration dropped so drastically?>>

Its power was drastically increased probably.

Drauz
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 07:22 AM CST
>You have to be attuned + same lore training to use the spell on magical weapons?

No. You do not need to be attuned to cast this spell at magic weapons. You do need the required elemental lore for the type of flare being cast. When attuned to your element you will always cast that type of flare. Otherwise, when attune random you will need the required lore for whichever random element is cast.

I hope that makes more sense! ;-P

>The temporary ensorcell is not accounted for in the look

Thank you for bringing this up. I will take a look at this later. (Can't right now because I gotta get to work!) <flee>

~Contemplar~
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 07:49 AM CST
Elemental Blade is not always useful, but it's still a relevant spell. Its power has now been somewhat increased, but the seed 3 seems to take away significantly from the practicality and appeal of the update. In fact using the summation chart of any seed means only post-capped wizards can do measly vultite, which is the bare minimum enchant anyone would use after a couple weeks.

Maybe something as simple as +1 enchant per 6 ranks in a lore could be ebladed for flares. This would allow a wizard with 300 ranks to give flares to a 10x weapon, and would still require 120 ranks to do vultite (which is a pretty serious investment if you ask me).

The summation chart almost seems like something appropriate to permanently add flares to an item. Clearly that would require some sort of limitations (like Enchant Item and Ensorcell), but 250 lore ranks to give a plain old vultite weapon several hundred swings of fire flares sounds more like a parlor trick than something that will see a large amount of use.

The present version seems mainly useful for arrows and helping characters within their first week, basically.

I love the idea of this update, and I understand the GMs didn't roll a die to choose "summation seed 3". Perhaps my imagination is lacking for how this is foreseen as an especially useful improvement as it stands.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 07:54 AM CST
Naturally, hitting the "Post" button triggered my brain to figure out explicitly why I was scratching my head over this update.

With no lore of any kind, we can take a 0x weapon and make it temporarily 4x with flares.

Now with the update, anyone with 250 ranks in a specific lore can give a 4x weapon flares.

...more work for the same exact result (except for sanctified weapons) ... pretty big "meh"

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 08:22 AM CST

>With no lore of any kind, we can take a 0x weapon and make it temporarily 4x with flares.

>Now with the update, anyone with 250 ranks in a specific lore can give a 4x weapon flares.

>...more work for the same exact result (except for sanctified weapons) ... pretty big "meh"

>Daid

I am pretty sure the new version would change that 4x weapon to +40 with flares for the duration of the spell. That seems noteworthy to me.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 08:31 AM CST
Daid, I think you might be ignoring the enchant increase. You give a 4x weapon weighted flares and make it 8x for a couple hundred swings. The value added is that 3x and lower weapons are now potentially worth something since you can find a qualified wizard or over-trained elementals to temporarily increase the enchant of your weapon and add hard hitting flares.

That is serious value added.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 08:51 AM CST
Right, the ability to create an 8x flaring weapon from plain 4x weapon isn't something we're willing to just to grant to anyone.

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 09:04 AM CST
>Daid, I think you might be ignoring the enchant increase.

>Right, the ability to create an 8x flaring weapon from plain 4x weapon isn't something we're willing to just to grant to anyone.

OH!

I see. Okay. For some reason I just thought we are adding only flares with this new eblade.

Okay, I retract my objections. This is pretty rad. Sorry I should have asked for clarification in a different way.

Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 09:50 AM CST
Daid, you also seem unaware that wizards can only 2x lores. So that elusive 8x weapon with flares from a vultite weapon is only available to someone with +50 to a lore in enhancives.

>You have to be attuned + same lore training to use the spell on magical weapons?
No. You do not need to be attuned to cast this spell at magic weapons. You do need the required elemental lore for the type of flare being cast. When attuned to your element you will always cast that type of flare. Otherwise, when attune random you will need the required lore for whichever random element is cast.
I hope that makes more sense! ;-P
>The temporary ensorcell is not accounted for in the look
Thank you for bringing this up. I will take a look at this later. (Can't right now because I gotta get to work!) <flee>
~Contemplar~

This bit has me confused. Are you saying without an attunement, the spell 411 cannot be cast unless you happen to have the lore ranks for the unknown lore requirement that cast of 411 will take? So, we'll need to recast 411 multiple times until we come upon the flare type that we have lores for? Or will 411 somehow know that we have a certain lore (without attuning) and hone in on that lore?

It doesn't seem very user friendly if we have to recast 411 over and over until we land upon the lore type that we have trained (without attuning).
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 09:57 AM CST
>Daid, you also seem unaware that wizards can only 2x lores. So that elusive 8x weapon with flares from a vultite weapon is only available to someone with +50 to a lore in enhancives.

Ah well, I didn't actually check. But I was misunderstanding the whole thing so it gave me the wrong perspective. Thanks for pointing this out.

Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 10:04 AM CST
So, we'll need to recast 411 multiple times until we come upon the flare type that we have lores for? Or will 411 somehow know that we have a certain lore (without attuning) and hone in on that lore?
It doesn't seem very user friendly if we have to recast 411 over and over until we land upon the lore type that we have trained (without attuning).

If this is the way the spell functions, maybe the attunement "benefit" should be phantom lore ranks in your attuned element (50 would be nice! So you don't need enhancives) and the current attunment "benefit" (When attuned to your element you will always cast that type of flare.) will happen without attuning.

Casting 411 over and over until you get lucky and happen to match up with your trained lore does not sound fun, or functional. I'm not sure why all of the new additions, from ELR to channeling bolts require us to get lucky for them to actually work.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 10:09 AM CST
PC1234
This bit has me confused. Are you saying without an attunement, the spell 411 cannot be cast unless you happen to have the lore ranks for the unknown lore requirement that cast of 411 will take? So, we'll need to recast 411 multiple times until we come upon the flare type that we have lores for? Or will 411 somehow know that we have a certain lore (without attuning) and hone in on that lore?

The element that is used for Elemental Blade (411) has not changed (since the GSIV implementation). When you cast the spell, if you're not attuned or have your attunement is set to random, it will randomly pick one of the 5 elements to use. If you are attuned to a specific element, it will use that element. Regardless of that setting, the ability to affect an already enchanted weapon is determined by your Elemental Lore ranks in the element that is used when 411 is cast. So if you are not attuned or have your attunement set to random, yes, you will have to repeatedly cast 411 to get the desired result. Or you can set your attunement and just cast once.

GameMaster Estild
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 10:11 AM CST

A lighter with the flint worn out comes to mind.
Re: ELEMENTAL BLADE (411) UPDATE! 01/20/2016 10:12 AM CST
>>So, we'll need to recast 411 multiple times until we come upon the flare type that we have lores for?

This one. Confirmed.

>>It doesn't seem very user friendly if we have to recast 411 over and over until we land upon the lore type that we have trained (without attuning).

Agreed. But - it isn't very game friendly to not attune, either. There's a very long and rich history associated with attuning, and not being attuned isn't supposed to grant us any benefits - in fact, it's not supposed to happen. One of these days, we'll all be 'forced' to attune.

Right now, we're simply being encouraged between this and 425.

Doug
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4