Prev_page Previous 1
HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 03:16 PM CDT
Hi everybody!

Getting some Air & Water love into today's shipping extravaganza with both 410 and 435! Knock those stupid flying things out of the sky and just flat out make your E-Waves stronger! Yay! Okay, seriously, I'm excited but how long can I keep this going? What do you think?!

== MECHANICS ==

At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Air these spells are now transformed into a spherical wave which can affect flying targets. In addition, the target's maneuver defense against these spells is now reduced at a linear progression based on Elemental Lore, Water skill.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 03:21 PM CDT
>At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Air

Yay! Finally some Air love. Thanks Konacon - and I definitely missed your crafty intros even if I didn't like the new that followed.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 03:26 PM CDT
First off this is an awesome change.

Second off, any chance you would divulge some information on what you mean by linear progression? Perhaps contrasting it to how level is applied? Something like... every X ranks of lore increases the success rate as if the caster was 1 effective level higher? I'll water your lawn if you do!

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 03:31 PM CDT

Best air lore change so far, I'd say. And bards actually see benefit too (not that I care, but I saw some moping about).
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 03:32 PM CDT
> Second off, any chance you would divulge some information on what you mean by linear progression? Perhaps contrasting it to how level is applied? Something like... every X ranks of lore increases the success rate as if the caster was 1 effective level higher? I'll water your lawn if you do!

I can't exactly give you this, but I'll try to give some more information where I can. What I mean is that it does not use a seed, and is based on skill rather than ranks. I'll keep thinking about a better way to explain this, but at the moment this is the best I've got.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 03:58 PM CDT
Thank you for being willing to give it some thought. I am mostly just looking for any information by which to judge the effectiveness of the lore.

As things stand the spells could use a D:10000 and the increase could be 1 every 150 skill (that is linear) and everything you have said would hold.

And no, that isn't an accusation that the effect is that tiny. I'm just trying to point out how little value 'it's better' has without any other context.

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 04:24 PM CDT

I agree with Tal.

However, ewave is pretty level dependent with a cliff effect (i.e. 5 levels over you it works almost every time, then get the sixth level and it fails quite a bit). So, if the lore effect is substantial, it should be noticable if you find a creature that resists, train in lore, see what happens.

But I agree with Tal that there just should be some more information here. Tal explained the reasons why very well, too.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 04:33 PM CDT
Hey Konacon, both this and 413's improvements are well done. Thank you for those.

Question: Does the added effectiveness of water lore apply to the critter cast versions of this spell? If so, what level of increased difficulty should we expect seeing from creatures casting Minor/Major E-wave near/at/post cap?
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:17 PM CDT
Not that I'm complaining, but ewave was already as much a one trick pony as any spell out there. I suppose its place in the minor circle means more players can use it, and setup spells have enough trouble as it is, but it's kind of odd that now ewave will be able to knock down flying enemies but call wind won't?
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:28 PM CDT
> And no, that isn't an accusation that the effect is that tiny. I'm just trying to point out how little value 'it's better' has without any other context.

How about we try this (In terms of water lore benefit):

- 10 ranks roughly cancels out the benefit gained from Spirit Barrier (102).
- 30 ranks is stronger than the benefit gained from Wall of Force (140).

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:31 PM CDT
102 and 140 effect Ewave avoidance?

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:38 PM CDT
> 102 and 140 effect Ewave avoidance?

Ugh, my brains. This is what I get for trying to keep being helpful after the releaseathon. No, they don't. But if they did, those comparisons would hold! Um...

- 20 ranks is a little bit stronger than the benefit provided by Empathic Focus. (This one really does help against E-Wave.)

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:39 PM CDT
Hey K, is the jury still out on whether critters are getting the E-wave boost?
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:39 PM CDT
I noticed my 435 working against griffins and I was think WOT?!?!?!????!!!!!!111111

And then I read this. Very cool release.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:41 PM CDT
> Hey K, is the jury still out on whether critters are getting the E-wave boost?

I make no promises as to what happens 5 minutes from now, tomorrow, or what have you. Right now critters are, in fact, considered 0.5x trained in Water Lore.

*puts on his tomatocoat*

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 05:55 PM CDT
I understand and appreciate the response, K. My intent wasn't to draw attention to the issue so as to incite change, just to confirm whether it is initially one way or the other.

As for my take on it ... As long as it was carefully considered how this change would affect every profession across all levels, then so be it.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:01 PM CDT
>I make no promises as to what happens 5 minutes from now, tomorrow, or what have you. Right now critters are, in fact, considered 0.5x trained in Water Lore.

Thanks for the extra hidden nerf for those greater water elementals the future nerfed wizards are already going to have far more trouble hunting than the average pure.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:07 PM CDT
>I make no promises as to what happens 5 minutes from now, tomorrow, or what have you. Right now critters are, in fact, considered 0.5x trained in Water Lore.
Thanks for the extra hidden nerf for those greater water elementals the future nerfed wizards are already going to have far more trouble hunting than the average pure.

It does seem highly unfair that creatures get every benefit we get, but we get none of theirs.

Compare our 917, 915, 514 to theirs, they get a far superior version.

We should either gain all the benefits that creatures get to spells, or they should not gain the benefits we gain from lores.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:17 PM CDT

I think the maneuver spells are more a function of encumbrance than anything. Creatures are never encumbered and probably 1x-2x trained in all relevant maneuver-dodging skills.

I think they should get a randomized encumbrance penalty.

Or just improve PC boil. It's so much worse than thorn growth it's not even funny. Why do semis get the best spells? I find that confusing.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:18 PM CDT
Konacon, thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what to post for info on the wiki. I'll take as much (or as little) as your willing to give for that cause.

Two small questions...
Is every rank impactful towards success (1012 is stated to be that way with air lore, so in theory it is possible) or is it based around cut-offs and trunicated remainders?

And a generic question because it came up elsewhere. Are all critters exactly .5x in lores or are their outliers for that pattern? Feel free to ignore this one if it would impact you answering the first part.

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:29 PM CDT
Am I the only one who doesn't fine boil extremely threatening?

89, in the confluence, and I actually prefer hot side to cold because boil is significantly less of a threat to me than call wind. Can it hurt? Sure. But it is rarely even hunt ending in its damage. I haven't been one shotted by a boil in ages.

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:30 PM CDT
> My intent wasn't to draw attention to the issue so as to incite change, just to confirm whether it is initially one way or the other.

I'm happy to answer the questions and I don't want to keep anything hidden from anyone. Honestly I know that a fair number of these questions are coming when I release each spell. The reason I don't include all that information in the original release is to keep the releases from each having like 10-20 lines of "Note: In -this- case, it works like this" as I try to guess what everyone is going to be curious about.

> Is every rank impactful towards success (1012 is stated to be that way with air lore, so in theory it is possible) or is it based around cut-offs and trunicated remainders?

It is based around cut-offs, but every rank until 40 (When skill starts increasing by 1 per rank) is impactful towards success. After that there are some ranks that will not be impactful. However, I can tell you there is a definite difference in a 40 water-lore rank E-Wave and a 100 water-lore rank E-Wave. There are no diminishing returns to it.

> And a generic question because it came up elsewhere. Are all critters exactly .5x in lores or are their outliers for that pattern? Feel free to ignore this one if it would impact you answering the first part.

There are no special cases for this. All critters are 0.5x in lores for both E-Waves (I can't speak to every spell in the game though).

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 06:55 PM CDT
I am suddenly sad for huge water elementals but thanks for the answer!

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 07:30 PM CDT
Am I the only one who doesn't fine boil extremely threatening?
89, in the confluence, and I actually prefer hot side to cold because boil is significantly less of a threat to me than call wind. Can it hurt? Sure. But it is rarely even hunt ending in its damage. I haven't been one shotted by a boil in ages.
Tal.

Maybe? With haste up I tend to recover from callwind/ewave rather quicker than even a moderate stun caused by being boiled. Also I've noticed call wind will often outright fail whereas my ability to dodge boils is probably ~60%.

I've definitely been killed by boil several times but never by call wind.

Though in my own hunting I find Call Wind quite useful and boil not at all, so... not sure what to make of all that.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 07:53 PM CDT
I probably get hit by more of both than the average due to the level difference.

For boil to kill me all by itself (I am not accounting for the stun getting me killed) it would probably take 2-3 casts hitting me on average and thats a death by hp loss. We're talking around 50 mana to do all of 130 damage. That's not even accounting for misses.

That seems about as poor as the player version to me.

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 08:27 PM CDT
>Right now critters are, in fact, considered 0.5x trained in Water Lore.

With all of the changes to these spells and the lores that buff them, aren't critters getting a tad more buff than players are allowed to get?

I mean, 100 level creature has 50 trains in lore across the board. Not an easy task for a 100 level player.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 08:47 PM CDT

yeah I wonder if they should only be getting .25x lore for elementals since it's split four ways?
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 09:21 PM CDT
They've got a really strong union and skillful lobbyists.

___
ASGM of Events and Festivals
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 09:48 PM CDT

If only wizards were so lucky ;p
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/12/2015 11:56 PM CDT
Cool release.

I'm assuming this would apply to, I dunno, a hanging tree viper as well?

FLYING SNAKES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMs8Cu8PNKM

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/13/2015 01:00 AM CDT

I know it's reaching but I'd kinda like to see Call Wind get this natively. It's always bugged me that HARD WIND strong enough to blow things off their feet didn't affect flyers.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/13/2015 11:42 AM CDT

>ot that I'm complaining, but ewave was already as much a one trick pony as any spell out there. I suppose its place in the minor circle means more players can use it, and setup spells have enough trouble as it is, but it's kind of odd that now ewave will be able to knock down flying enemies but call wind won't?

you think that is weird, implosion will not knock down flying critters - meanwhile it is impossible to fly in a vacuum.... so what air are the wings pushing down in order to stay aloft? Like Chewbacca living on Endor, this does not make sense.
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/13/2015 12:35 PM CDT
>They've got a really strong union and skillful lobbyists.

I need to contact their rep and invite him/her to be our next negotiations rep for more monies!
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/15/2015 02:08 PM CDT
At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Air these spells are now transformed into a spherical wave which can affect flying targets. In addition, the target's maneuver defense against these spells is now reduced at a linear progression based on Elemental Lore, Water skill.

Question regarding this: is the wave (410 or 435) also supposed to knock flying creatures out of the air? Right now, all I am seeing on flying creatures is the damage from 435 hitting them, and likely, the RT (although I can't directly tell, the evidence does seem to suggest that flying creatures are getting the RT). Flying creatures (at least war griffins) are not, however, being knocked out of the air. Is this WAI, or is it an error?

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/15/2015 02:10 PM CDT
> Question regarding this: is the wave (410 or 435) also supposed to knock flying creatures out of the air?

No. This was my bad on not being more specific. It's supposed to allow it to affect the flying creatures, but not actually change the fact that they're flying.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/15/2015 02:13 PM CDT
>> No. This was my bad on not being more specific. It's supposed to allow it to affect the flying creatures, but not actually change the fact that they're flying.

From a game balance perspective, I totally get this. From a logic standpoint, it makes... very little sense. The creature is "knocked the the ground and pinned by elemental energy" in the air... while still flapping...

Brain hurts...
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/15/2015 02:36 PM CDT
Agree with Balekia on the loogic of it should work that way, but thanks for the answer.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/27/2015 07:06 PM CDT
>> At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Air these spells are now transformed into a spherical wave which can affect flying targets. In addition, the target's maneuver defense against these spells is now reduced at a linear progression based on Elemental Lore, Water skill.

Hey Konacon! How's the lawn looking these days?

I was wondering if you might expand on how much the target's maneuver defense can be impacted by the linear progression reduction? Meaning if the target doesn't have much maneuver defense to begin with does the bonus stop once you reach 0 or can this theoretically cause a defender to have negative maneuver defense?

Asking it differently (in case this is clearer), how much impact would 50 ranks of elt lore, water have on casting this against a (like level) player character with 0 Combat Maneuver training (lots, small, negligible)?

Same question against a player character with 50 ranks of CM training.

Thanks!

-- Robert

Fluke in the programming, or just your average everyday Konacode? ~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 09/28/2015 11:31 AM CDT
> I was wondering if you might expand on how much the target's maneuver defense can be impacted by the linear progression reduction? Meaning if the target doesn't have much maneuver defense to begin with does the bonus stop once you reach 0 or can this theoretically cause a defender to have negative maneuver defense?

More ranks in water lore will always be more effective.

~ Konacon
follow up ? for Konacon on HSN: ELR - Elemental Waves (410 & 435) Updated! 12/27/2015 12:57 AM CST

Hey Konacon ...

Couple questions about ewave.

Does 435 have a better chance of knockdown than 410 ... or is that extra mana just getting you the chance on injury? If so, how would the increased chance of knockdown from 435 compare to that "empath spell metric" or "the first 20 ranks of water lore". Are we talking about that much better chance, half that much better chance, etc.?

My other question is about the effects of water lore, and whether an aspect of the elemental lore preview was implemented, or not. That aspect was "Training in Elemental Lore, Water increases the effectiveness of this spell, granting a bonus to its maneuver check.... [t]his bonus is twice as effective as the bonus to Elemental Wave (410)." Also, does the example metric of the "empath spell" apply equally as well to 410 or 435?
Prev_page Previous 1