Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:44 PM CDT
That was I say that was a JOKE, son. </Foghorn Leghorn>

(I was playing off your quote of me saying, "3 percent" and you then saying "okay, 3 percent" to me saying something--relevant to a thread in another topic about documentable changes due to player feedback and interaction--with my personal count now being SIX [with emphasis], to you then saying, "okay, 6 percent.")

It's a lot less funny when it has to be explained. :(
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:44 PM CDT
>> Okay. The base failure chance of 418 has been changed to 3%.

Nice! Since there has been some discussion about how deadly this spell can be when there is a failure, would anyone care to comment on the factors that go into determining the failure severity/results?

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:46 PM CDT
> I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

Quite serious. No shenanigans here.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:47 PM CDT
<< Nice! Since there has been some discussion about how deadly this spell can be when there is a failure, would anyone care to comment on the factors that go into determining the failure severity/results? >> -- Robert

The rumors have always been that it helps to kneel and wearing head armor.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:47 PM CDT
>> I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Can you update the saved post page if you are? I tacked the 5% into the first post. I can't keep up with this anymore.

Maybe you should consider waiting for 24 hours or something after the spell is released/announced. It might be easier/create less work for you.

Also, I hadn't noticed any updates on 415 so I went ahead and posted an update for that last night.

-- Robert

> It's a lot less funny when it has to be explained. :(

Just making sure things are on the same page. At this point I'm afraid that I'm going to see that quoted somewhere and hang my head in sadness.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:49 PM CDT

>Maybe you should consider waiting for 24 hours or something after the spell is released/announced. It might be easier/create less work for you.

actually no, then I have to go back to the thread and search and the forums are terrible for that.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:54 PM CDT
> "The base failure rate of 418 has been changed to 6%." -- GM Konacon

I... I don't think this is what I said. Is it?

~ Konacon

DAMNIT- WHY DIDN'T WE ASK FOR ZERO?
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 03:54 PM CDT
> DAMNIT- WHY DIDN'T WE ASK FOR ZERO?

Right?! That'll teach ya!

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:02 PM CDT
<<<2) I'm glad you enjoy hunting these areas the way you do. Is it too much to ask that the rest of us be able to enjoy the spell, too? I don't happen to like standing around waiting for things to come to me.>>>

I don't understand your objection. The spell just got a mana regenerating feature that actually does go with you. What are you asking for, specifically? What do you expect the spell to do differently? Not everyone will find every spell useful. I don't use the spell often, but when I do, appreciate having it. Now it has added utility for those well-trained in water lore. You're no less able to "enjoy the spell" than you were before the update, and also have the option of getting more from it if you're willing to invest some TPs. It seems like a net gain, to me.

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 04:03 PM CDT
>> > DAMNIT- WHY DIDN'T WE ASK FOR ZERO?

>> Right?! That'll teach ya!

>> ~ Konacon

Can I have a fire breathing warhorse?

-- Robert

Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:07 PM CDT
<I don't understand your objection. The spell just got a mana regenerating feature that actually does go with you. What are you asking for, specifically? What do you expect the spell to do <differently? Not everyone will find every spell useful. I don't use the spell often, but when I do, appreciate having it. Now it has added utility for those well-trained in water lore. You're <no less able to "enjoy the spell" than you were before the update, and also have the option of getting more from it if you're willing to invest some TPs. It seems like a net gain, to me.

I'm asking that when we review these spells we ask the question: If this spell is indeed underutilized, what can we do to address that? I suppose you could say not every spell is going to be useful to every person, but it seems like a cop out. There are very good reasons why this spell is not particularly useful, and while I am not asking that the lore tie-in necessarily address those issues all on its own, I am asking that we change the base functionality of useless spells to make them useful. "Useless" being rather subjective, I can see why you don't understand. But certainly you can see how the spell could be more useful? Why it fails to be as useful as it could be?

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 04:19 PM CDT
Thanks for adjusting the failure rate.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 04:19 PM CDT
> Thanks for adjusting the failure rate.

Happy to do what I can!

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:25 PM CDT
<<<I'm asking that when we review these spells we ask the question: If this spell is indeed underutilized, what can we do to address that? I suppose you could say not every spell is going to be useful to every person, but it seems like a cop out. There are very good reasons why this spell is not particularly useful, and while I am not asking that the lore tie-in necessarily address those issues all on its own, I am asking that we change the base functionality of useless spells to make them useful. "Useless" being rather subjective, I can see why you don't understand. But certainly you can see how the spell could be more useful? Why it fails to be as useful as it could be?>>>

I think it's perfectly functional as it is, and the new water lore element gives it even greater utility. While I understand your feeling that it's "not particularly useful," I simply disagree. I think it's rather powerful, even more so now. A few ranks of water lore won't make it especially appealing. But a character heavily invested in water lore would see a fairly substantial mana gain over several pulses. Furthermore, the elemental lore review wasn't really meant to redesign spells, but to add lore functionality. To this end, this update seems quite thoughtful.

I don't think it's a cop-out to say not every spell will be useful to every person. People have different styles of play, and that's a good thing. I always like to existing spells and find creative ways of making them useful, rather than expecting the GMs to change the spells to suit my style of playing.

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:26 PM CDT
>>You're no less able to "enjoy the spell" than you were before the update, and also have the option of getting more from it if you're willing to invest some TPs. It seems like a net gain, to me.

Perhaps you're only addressing Taverkin with "you" in this instance. You're certainly not referring to me and likely not referring to any character level 60ish and below. Unless you have an atypically high training in EMC, or a very near-capped wizard with typical training, it's very likely that your character's failure rate has increased. Frankly, it's unlikely that many (any?) characters have seen a decrease in failure rate.

Before the update, I enjoyed what appeared to be the minimum failure rate. I may have had one or two failures across 3 characters in around 3 years. As I already posted, my new failure rates are as follows:

Level 78 wizard: 75/4 + 78/2 + 20 = 77%
Level 80 sorcerer: 60/4 + 40/2 + 11 = 46%
Level 100 rogue: 35/4 + 25/2 + 15 = 36%

I didn't include my bard or other wizard. They're 50 and 45 respectively and I don't use 418 with either of them. I'm certainly not more likely to use it now, either.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:29 PM CDT
<<<Perhaps you're only addressing Taverkin with "you" in this instance. You're certainly not referring to me and likely not referring to any character level 60ish and below. Unless you have an atypically high training in EMC, or a very near-capped wizard with typical training, it's very likely that your character's failure rate has increased. Frankly, it's unlikely that many (any?) characters have seen a decrease in failure rate.>>>

Now that I will agree concerns me. But I haven't actually gotten far enough through all this to investigate, so...I'm reserving comments until I see the net effect. Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't put this to the test yet. If your failure rates are accurate, then that's truly alarming. We'll see....

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:29 PM CDT

>Level 80 sorcerer: 60/4 + 40/2 + 11 = 46%

is .5x training in EMC typical?
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:40 PM CDT
As a brief reminder to the GM team - a straight forward request for the prior 418 success formula was posted shortly after launch. I'm interested in seeing it myself.

And I'd hate to have that request get lost in the clutter - especially now that it seems a bit more urgent.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:49 PM CDT

<Some will say that it's fine as is. But again I ask the question: Why do we insist on having so many spells that are so very limited in scope? And to further limit them by matching a relatively high level of risk to a low level benefit? What is the point? Shouldn't the ELR be more about finding ways to turn underutilized spells into useful spells that players enjoy using? --Taverkin

Yeah, I completely agree with this sentiment. This spell is incredibly limited in scope: a swarmy hunting ground where you want to hunt in only one room. And even then, the benefit is pretty marginal. So for this we are expected to risk debilitating injury or death? Where is the logic here?

Why can't we have these spells updated to fit with the current design philosophies? I don't see ensorcelling taking 8 months of locker time and risking item ruination. Enchanting should be more like that.

God knows wizards haven't seen an update in a decade (other than 430, which is another classic example of risk>>reward design). Now is the time to get these things fixed.

<Now that I will agree concerns me. But I haven't actually gotten far enough through all this to investigate, so...I'm reserving comments until I see the net effect. Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't put this to the test yet. If your failure rates are accurate, then that's truly alarming. We'll see....

Those numbers are pulled from the formula in the first post. My lv44 wizard has about 50% chance of failure. Ask me how often I plan to cast this lemon of a spell.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:56 PM CDT
>Is .5x training in EMC typical?

For sorcerers, yes. A typical split is .5x for spiritual and elemental lore. 1xing both is likely somewhat common, but that's fairly expensive. I doubt most other pures 2x mana controls.
Holy crap. Okay, I did that math and ran some personal (subjective tests).

According to the new formula...and this appears to pan out in practice...

My very well-trained 79th level wizard only has a 79.75% success rate.

For my 80th level sorcerer, it's only 66.25%(!).

For my 73rd level bard...it's a pathetic 38.75%(!!!).

None of these characters are mutants. They're all very reasonably trained.

Is it intended that being able to use this spell is a post-cap goal???

I now find myself siding with Taverkin and others (which is a pretty significant statement!!). I'll never use this spell with such lousy failure rates and high chance of injury. My lowest failure rate is 20%. It's just not worth it.

Now I'm really curious, along with Doug, what the previous success rate was? There's no way it could have been this bad.

~ GtG
<I don't think it's a cop-out to say not every spell will be useful to every person. People have different styles of play, and that's a good thing. I always like to existing spells and find <creative ways of making them useful, rather than expecting the GMs to change the spells to suit my style of playing.

Well, the thing is it isn't really about MY style of playing. It's more about the average user. Obviously, my evidence is anecdotal, but I feel very confident in saying that the vast majority of players do not find regular use for this spell. I don't think it's a mystery why that is: it can kill you, it drains significant amounts of mana in addition to injury/death upon failure, and provides a rather small amount of additional mana over time.

Consider that the base cost of the spell is 18 mana. In order for the 10% boost to your pulse to restore that amount you already need to be somewhere around level 50 (depending upon EMC, harness power, and starting mana stat). So you cast, then you wait.

Next, consider the success rate. EMC/2 + MnE/4 + aura stat. For most wizards at level 50, this will mean <75% success rate. And remember, a failure drains a bunch of mana and causes injury and possibly death. To say nothing of the way basing it off this equation rather than the previous level-based success roll now renders this spell far less useful to anyone who doesn't train heavily in EMC and MnE.

At the high end, where success rate is not an issue, mana is likewise less of an issue. Waiting around for an extra 45 mana per 2 minutes isn't all that helpful when my average kill costs about that much mana to begin with!

Finally, consider that the spell provides no benefit on node. So where do you use this spell? It's a bad bet in hunting for the reasons described above in addition to the fact that you now limit yourself to standing in one room or having to try and return to that room to catch the pulse. The only regular use I can think of at this point is the warcamp situation, where the area is very small and gen rate is very high, and there is a benefit to remaining at the entrance to begin with.

It would be so easy to make changes to this spell that broaden its appeal. Again, you're welcome to disagree that it's necessary, but in that sense what is "necessary"? Is it necessary that monks be enjoyable? Or is it enough that a player exists who enjoys the class? How do we determine what is necessary from a game design standpoint? I would argue the defining characteristic of successful design is player utilization. Do players find the design rewarding/enjoyable enough that they typically participate/utilize the ability or system in question? If that doesn't matter to you, I don't think we can see eye to eye on any discussion of game design.

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:57 PM CDT
>is .5x training in EMC typical?

If you'll focus in on the actual issue and not a minor detail that you've sought out to poke at, I'll respond to this.

The actual issue is as follows: The failure has consequences disproportionate to the benefit, the spell has ridiculously minimal utility, and the failure rate was essentially increased across the board (at best staying the same). The spell was already lame. Now it's harder to cast. Is there a mechanical balance reason for this adjustment?

My use case was as follows: Increasing mana regen in rooms that probably should otherwise be a node (Icemule sorcerer guild workshop). Basically for doing imbed batches. Pretty much no other reason. If these workshops were nodes, I would never even have a reason to use this spell. So what is the reason for this failure rate? There is a sense of logic to the skills involved, but it's as if value and mechanics were not even considered.

As to your criticism of my training which was phrased in the form of a question: I'm 1x total in mana control with my level 80 sorcerer, 0.5x EMC, 0.5x SMC. If I were 1x EMC (is that typical enough for you?), my success rate would be 66%. I'd still say it's terrible. If I was 2x EMC (to whom is this typical as a sorcerer?), the success rates would be in line with what I was accustomed to previously.

Ask yourselves this question: "What is a reasonable failure rate in terms of game balance?"
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:59 PM CDT
>>Why can't we have these spells updated to fit with the current design philosophies? I don't see ensorcelling taking 8 months of locker time and risking item ruination. Enchanting should be more like that.

Alright you ruffians! This is the Minor Elemental topic, not the traditional topic of whining and moaning. I swear, Tav, if the current wizard posting style tends any more towards whining sorczards of the 2K's, I'm personally going to blame you! The Elf might have to play 'punt the halfer' like he used to with that giantman warrior ages past.

Dignity, gentle people of the wizened wizardly profession, dignity.

And don't compare Ensorcell to Enchant, without comparing the striking differences and weaknesses, too.

I'll appreciate what improvements Enchant might get - but comparing a spell that creates a permanent and long term always available effect at 25 mana to one that creates a lesser permanent and long term sometimes might fire effect at 35 mana is just. . . well, it just isnt!

So, dignity, calm, wizardly reserve.

Sheesh!

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 04:59 PM CDT
<<<Finally, consider that the spell provides no benefit on node. So where do you use this spell? It's a bad bet in hunting for the reasons described above in addition to the fact that you now limit yourself to standing in one room or having to try and return to that room to catch the pulse. The only regular use I can think of at this point is the warcamp situation, where the area is very small and gen rate is very high, and there is a benefit to remaining at the entrance to begin with.>>>

I could get on board with giving the spell some sort of functionality on a node, although that begins to tread upon Bard territory with 1018. But with current failure rates, the point is moot. I'm never going to be casting it anyway.

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:01 PM CDT
>Now I'm really curious, along with Doug, what the previous success rate was? There's no way it could have been this bad.

Level was probably the most important factor. When I capped my rogue I had 18 MnE, around 100 mana for 410, and no other magical skills to speak of. I tested out 418 and cast it a good 30 times without any failures.

I know I've had 1 failure recently but I don't think I've had another in the past few years regularly using it around 1/week.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:03 PM CDT

>I'll appreciate what improvements Enchant might get - but comparing a spell that creates a permanent and long term always available effect at 25 mana to one that creates a lesser permanent and long term sometimes might fire effect at 35 mana is just. . . well, it just isnt!

to be absolutely fair, although I'm tired of the complaining before it happens, there is the permanent CvA change on staves and armor/shields.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:04 PM CDT
<I now find myself siding with Taverkin and others (which is a pretty significant statement!!). I'll never use this spell with such lousy failure rates and high chance of injury. My lowest <failure rate is 20%. It's just not worth it.

But...every spell isn't useful to every player.

KIDDING! I'm kidding! Don't kill me!

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:06 PM CDT
>About tabletop rpgs

Early Dungeons & Dragons and Rolemaster were both pretty unforgiving in their mechanics. You could end up rolling a wizard with 1 or 2 hp who would then die tragically from a papercut. The challenge of these mechanics was translated over to a variety of video game rpgs, Gemstone included. You could argue that the difficulty of early video games was a way to stretch them out. I just read an article talking about King's Quest in this way a few days ago. King's Quest is the sort of game where completely arbitrary decisions made the game unwinnable - start over, try again. With early Gemstone designed around 20 levels, maybe some of its difficulty operated the same way. Those old games were fun though; I still play them sometimes.

>About the usefulness of 418

Maybe Taverkin hunts like I do: belled to saturated on a node in 5 minutes or your pizza is free. He can do that. I can do that. It can be fun and mechanically beneficial to do that. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine too many spell changes that could make me better at that version of our game. If I could develop my own Gemstone spell right now, it would be something based around character development because I'm not worried about hunting. In the words of Thalior, "These is easy!" Then the fire mage ate him.

>Level 80 sorcerer: 60/4 + 40/2 + 11 = 46%

A level 80 sorcerer would probably have the 1x training and a higher aura bonus; a 70 - 80 percent chance at success. I could see this spell being useful in the aqueduct; I used the much-hated Torment (718) in that same area with some positive results. I think there are a few level windows and situations where Mana Focus (418) could be useful, as my earlier list suggests.

>Conclusion

At postcap, 418 isn't especially useful and there are changes that could make it more useful. I agree. I could also list off some problems I have with the sorcerer base list and its lores.

Still, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the GMs when they take on something like the ELR and will keep hoping for something to make me want to invest in those lores. And if it doesn't work out that way - well, that's the way the golem crumbles. I'll put my critique on the boards and look forward to the next thing.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:06 PM CDT
<<<KIDDING! I'm kidding! Don't kill me!>>>

RUN.

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:08 PM CDT

>I used the much-hated Torment (718)

You take that back right now!! I <3 Torment
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:10 PM CDT
>>there is the permanent CvA change on staves and armor/shields.

Equivalent of (ultimately) 10 TD for the masses. And very nice of the sorcerer to share with those masses, too.

Good point that it's always on, though - I sit corrected, whiskey poised. . .

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:10 PM CDT
>You take that back right now!! I <3 Torment

I tried hunting with it the other day for kicks. It killed stuff.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:13 PM CDT

I'm not trying to get ensorcell nerfed, but it's worth noting how design philosophy has changed over the years. Acting like the mana difference matters *at all* is a specious argument at best. Who the hell is having their ensorcelling limited by their manapool not being able to generate the 35 mana?

The value of enchant vs ensorcell is completely dependent on if you value TD or DS more, I wouldn't say one is clearly superior over the other.

But that is neither here nor there, it was strictly an example of the change in the times. Ensorcell would never have been designed this way back when enchanting was being coded, and enchanting would never be made now the way it is currently coded.

That's what makes this so disappointing. This was a golden opportunity to make the spell usable and instead they made it worse. I find this extremely disheartening as I was hoping to see changes to 930 and 925 to move them into the current decade in terms of risk vs reward. I now feel I will be drastically disappointed.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:26 PM CDT
>The value of enchant vs ensorcell is completely dependent on if you value TD or DS more, I wouldn't say one is clearly superior over the other.

That's the value on the consumer end. On the provider side, you have to kill 1000 critters a week to ensorcell while enchanting can be done without actually playing the character.

>That's what makes this so disappointing.

I don't think these Mana Focus changes will be a good predictor of what happens with 925 and 930. I'm not trying to go around defending the GMs or development decisions. They don't need that and I don't want to. But, I'm saying, wait and see - just a little while longer.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:28 PM CDT
I'm wondering if the Minor Elemental circle isn't "allowed" to be given as strong of lore-based benefits as Major Elemental and Wizard spells. That's at least what we're all hoping for, right? That the improvements to Wizard specific spells will have a much greater impact than those being made to the Minor Elemental circle.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:32 PM CDT
<Early Dungeons & Dragons and Rolemaster were both pretty unforgiving in their mechanics. You could end up rolling a wizard with 1 or 2 hp who would then die tragically from a papercut. The <challenge of these mechanics was translated over to a variety of video game rpgs, Gemstone included. You could argue that the difficulty of early video games was a way to stretch them out. I <just read an article talking about King's Quest in this way a few days ago. King's Quest is the sort of game where completely arbitrary decisions made the game unwinnable - start over, try <again. With early Gemstone designed around 20 levels, maybe some of its difficulty operated the same way. Those old games were fun though; I still play them sometimes.

I remember King's Quest! I think what annoyed me most about those games was the way they intentionally utilized the primitive graphics and interface to design challenges within the game. For instance, walking down the mountain path from the wizard's house in King's Quest III. Was it really necessary to put a boulder blocking a portion of the path knowing that the game is 2D and you have no way to pan the camera around to see behind the boulder? Or how you needed a guide to tell you what objects were because the graphics were so pixelated and with no PnC interface you actually had to know the name of the object you're trying to manipulate in order to make any progress! Frustrating!

Still, I think there's a distinction to be made between arcade-style games, games like King's Quest, and tabletop RPGs. Arcade games punished you so that you couldn't hog the machine all day on one quarter. King's Quest punished you due to the limitations of the computers at the time. Tabletop RPGs, on the other hand, were unforgiving, I think, because the intention is that your choices have serious consequences. To play D&D the way we play GS would be ridiculous: "Hey, DM, cut the crap and roll us up some ogres! I want more treasure!" But by the same token, playing GS the way we would play D&D doesn't always make for a good translation.

<Maybe Taverkin hunts like I do: belled to saturated on a node in 5 minutes or your pizza is free. He can do that. I can do that. It can be fun and mechanically beneficial to do that. In <fact, it's hard for me to imagine too many spell changes that could make me better at that version of our game. If I could develop my own Gemstone spell right now, it would be something <based around character development because I'm not worried about hunting. In the words of Thalior, "These is easy!" Then the fire mage ate him.

Not all spells necessarily need to be relevant to hunting, but my problem with 418 specifically is that I have difficulty finding use for the spell at all and this update made it even worse, perhaps not for me, but for lower level characters certainly. I would have preferred they find a way to make it more broadly useful, especially if they wish to justify the training requirements and risk for using the spell.

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:45 PM CDT
<That's the value on the consumer end. On the provider side, you have to kill 1000 critters a week to ensorcell while enchanting can be done without actually playing the character.

I don't think pocket wizards are really a benefit to the game, personally. More a side-effect of the design. But then again, forcing players who don't want to play those characters to subject themselves to an endless grind isn't exactly a thrilling prospect, either. Although I would point out that you don't need to kill 1000 monsters per week. That's the maximum. If, for instance, you wanted to drag it out for, say, a comparable enchantment - how about T1-T5 vs. 4x-7x? - then you would only need 450 kills per week. Does that seem more reasonable?

I may be biased. I actually play my wizard, so I would definitely prefer a hunting-based system like ensorcel to enchanting. I really hate enchanting. I always forget to check my tempers and end up taking longer than necessary. It's just a boring system with far too much time inbetween. And the failures are about as fun as drilling a hole through your head.

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:48 PM CDT
As a bard I don't have much use for the spell but does anyone who uses it regularly have a rough idea on how often the failure is fatal?

Tal.