HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 10:19 AM CDT
Hi everybody!

I've been sitting here for the past ten minutes trying to come up with something clever to write about this update, but so far nothing has come to me. It's like I -know- something is just sitting up in that brain of mine, locked away and possibly booby trapped from my conscious. Ever had that happen to you? It's like at some point of continually trying to unlock those ideas you just wish you could know if it was even worth the effort. I mean, what if you spend hours trying to get into that mind of yours and then you find out there was nothing in there in the first place?! (This is usually the case for me.)

Now if my brain was a lockbox, Piercing Gaze would let me do JUST that! How perfect! But what if I'd been trying to pop that box and Lady Luck had just never seen fit to toss the dice my way and give me a success? I wouldn't know if it was just bad luck or if I was just bad at popping boxes. Well, to this I say, "No more! We will no longer be bound by the old ways! The time for change is now!"

So, given all of that, Piercing Gaze has been updated with the possibility to provide the caster with some messaging indicating their relative chances of success at 407 or 408'ing a locked box! Here are some specific details that you may be curious about:

- The percentage chance of 416 showing you the messaging for the your 407/408 to succeed is (SKILL in Elemental Lore, Water / 10).
- The messaging for 408 to work will only be displayed if the caster has discovered the trap.

As always, questions, comments, praise, and criticisms are more than welcome.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 10:55 AM CDT
In an effort to pierce the veil of confusion...

>> - The percentage chance of 416 showing you the messaging for the your 407/408 to succeed is (SKILL in Elemental Lore, Water / 10).

Is it fair to say that any time staff says SKILL they mean Current Bonus? I am guessing there must be some code on the back end which refers to Current Bonus as SKILL and this is the reason it is used by NIRs. From the player perspective we have Current Bonus and Current Ranks so whenever SKILL is used it creates the potential for confusion and misunderstanding (at least on my part).

>skill
SomeWarrior (at level 41), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 180 80
Combat Maneuvers...................| 186 86
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 186 86
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 143 43
Physical Fitness...................| 186 86
Dodging............................| 157 57
Harness Power......................| 74 16
Survival...........................| 143 43
Perception.........................| 143 43
Climbing...........................| 130 35
Swimming...........................| 120 30
First Aid..........................| 143 43

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3
Training Points: 0 Phy 114 Mnt (114 Mnt converted to Phy)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

269 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2016.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.

Thanks!

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 10:58 AM CDT
Robert
Is it fair to say that any time staff says SKILL they mean Current Bonus? I am guessing there must be some code on the back end which refers to Current Bonus as SKILL and this is the reason it is used by NIRs. From the player perspective we have Current Bonus and Current Ranks so whenever SKILL is used it creates the potential for confusion and misunderstanding (at least on my part).

Yes, skill is the same as bonus. It does make more sense to refer to it as bonus; I'm not sure how/why we started referring to it just as skill.

GameMaster Estild
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 10:59 AM CDT
Yes, you gain 5/4/3/2/1 skill per each ten (10) ranks; all ranks over forty (40) provide only one extra (+1) skill.
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 11:00 AM CDT
> Is it fair to say that any time staff says SKILL they mean Current Bonus?

As far as I'm aware, this is a fair thing to assume.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 11:01 AM CDT
It always used to be expressed as ranks or skill, Estild.

I'm guessing that the reference to "bonus" started approximately right about the time two different columns were used, one for current and one for Enhanced.
(So, I'm going with "The GS4 Conversion" as the time frame.)

Before that, those were the only two effect values you had. Now, you can have spells (Paladin, Monk) or items providing one or the other or both.
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 11:01 AM CDT
Estild
Yes, skill is the same as bonus. It does make more sense to refer to it as bonus; I'm not sure how/why we started referring to it just as skill.

This is my thread!

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 11:04 AM CDT
Konacon
This is my thread!

Get off your lawn?!

GameMaster Estild
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/25/2015 11:08 AM CDT
I invented lawns!

</Snickers>
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:30 AM CDT
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to hop in and say that I've changed the Water Lore chances for this spell slightly in favor of making the chances more likely.

> - The percentage chance of 416 showing you the messaging for the your 407/408 to succeed is (SKILL in Elemental Lore, Water / 10).

This is now incorrect. The percentage chance for 416 to show the water lore messaging is now (SKILL/Current Bonus in Elemental Lore, Water / 4).

Stupid past Konacon. You're a dirty liar.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:34 AM CDT
Dirty? Someone's dirty?

Good thing you have all those Water ranks to help your Minor Water, eh?
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:42 AM CDT
>>Just wanted to hop in and say that I've changed the Water Lore chances for this spell slightly

Thank you for the update to increase the value.

But this got me thinking - and I guess I'm going to ask a question point-blank:

Is it either planned (near term) or envisioned (long term) to change the way 407 and 408 can continue to be attempted in the hopes of extra-lucky (open ended roll?) success?

My example - the Elf might get a box with a top tier lock (say -1500 if such a beast exists), and with no traps he might spend 350 mana or more on it, but continually casting at the box ultimately can cause it to be opened. The upper bound is the wizard's patience.

What I'm seeing with the 'possibility to open' (416) and the 'modding down to a certain floor' (407) is the increasing possibility to change that upper bound - for example, to say 'and if your skills don't reach the magic number, no amount of magical effort is going to be successful for you.' With the long-running pc locksmith versus npc locksmith discussion ongoing, I could see this type of approach being considered.

A mistaken approach, in my view, just so we're clear, but one that could be tried none the less. So I thought I'd ask. Appreciate the clarification.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:43 AM CDT
> Good thing you have all those Water ranks to help your Minor Water, eh?

Don't you get snippy with me! I will turn this car right around and also add MORE water lore into this game!

Next up: Every bolt spell (Including Balefire, don't think I forgot about you, sorcerers!) now has a chance to do water damage with an additional (albeit very rare) chance to create a water puppy pet that follows you around and does cute things. This effect lasts for up to 15 seconds.

Also, get off my lawn!

... which needs watering.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:52 AM CDT
Doug
But this got me thinking - and I guess I'm going to ask a question point-blank: Is it either planned (near term) or envisioned (long term) to change the way 407 and 408 can continue to be attempted in the hopes of extra-lucky (open ended roll?) success?

You are WAY out of line!

Naah, we cool. It's tough to answer this question because it's hard to know what will come in the future. That being said, as far as I'm aware there are currently no plans to change the way that 407 and 408 work.

Now that I've said that, I can predict that I'm going to be destroyed by Estild in some unique and unexpected way because there ARE plans to change it and I just haven't been paying attention.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 09:00 AM CDT
>>Now that I've said that, I can predict that I'm going to be destroyed by Estild in some unique and unexpected way because there ARE plans to change it and I just haven't been paying attention.

Heh, well - you have the water puppy to defend you, right?!

I appreciate it, and believe me when I say I know how plans can change even overnight. But for my part, knowing that it isn't that way at this present moment in time (but could change tomorrow) is very welcome. Thank you for owning that lawn.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 08/26/2015 09:01 AM CDT
"Also, get off my lawn!

... which needs watering." -- Konacon

Good thing you've got a puppy! (I hear they're great at doing this.... :)
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 09/30/2015 04:15 AM CDT
Seems like I found a possible bug here, or with the 408 updates. Note that sometimes I must continue to probe for the trap despite that I've already seen it, and that the trap is never corroded, despite 10 ranks of water lore. I put in bold the times it starts probing for traps when it should be attempting to disarm. Also, every disarm attempt should corrode. Only minor editing has been done, and the time frame is successively quick. My suspicion is it might be from the 416 messaging telling me my apparently poor chances to unlock (though, it was pretty easy to open...maybe I'll discuss that in another post once I have more experience with it).

>cast my box
You gesture at an engraved fel box.
You gaze at the box and see. . .
An engraved fel box which contains:
Some silver coins (in)
A stylish crushed silk mantle (in)
Looking closely into the keyhole of the lock, you spy a small vial of liquid and a tiny hammer device which has been bent from striking range of the vial.
You detect that you have a very poor chance of magically unlocking it.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>incant 404
A salty sea breeze stirs as you chant an old sailor's ditty, invoking Disarm Enhancement.
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You become calm and focused.
[ Disarm Enhancement: +0:02:03, 0:03:24 remaining. ]
>prep 408
A salty sea breeze stirs as you chant an old sailor's ditty, invoking Disarm.
Your spell is ready.
>cast my box
Now to isolate the offending mechanism and disable it...The box vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
The focused look leaves you.
>incant 404
A salty sea breeze stirs as you chant an old sailor's ditty, invoking Disarm Enhancement.
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
[ Disarm Enhancement: +0:02:03, 0:02:03 remaining. ]
You sense that your attunement to the minds of others is fading, and that it will cease in about a minute.
>prep 408
Your spell is ready.
>cast my box
You begin to probe the box for unusual mechanisms...The box vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
>incant 404
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
>prep 408
Your spell is ready.
>cast my box
You begin to probe the box for unusual mechanisms...The box vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
>prep 416
A salty sea breeze stirs as you chant an old sailor's ditty, invoking Piercing Gaze.
Your spell is ready.
>cast my box
You gaze at the box and see. . .
An engraved fel box which contains:
Some silver coins (in)
A stylish crushed silk mantle (in)
Looking closely into the keyhole of the lock, you spy a small vial of liquid and a tiny hammer device which has been bent from striking range of the vial.
>incant 404
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
>prep 408
Your spell is ready.
Your senses are no longer as sharp.
>cast my box
Now to isolate the offending mechanism and disable it...The box vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
>incant 404
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
>prep 408
Your spell is ready.
>cast my box

Just to confirm, here is another trap, where it corrodes as expected, and doesn't make me probe over and over.

You gaze at the chest and see. . .
A simple maoral chest which contains:
A checkered chiton shell (in)
A heavy quartz orb (in)
Some silver coins (in)
Peering closely into the lock, you spy a tiny translucent scarab wedged into the lock mechanism. The scarab's shell is etched on the back with a large eye that seems to shift lazily about.

You gesture at a simple maoral chest.
Now to isolate the offending mechanism and disable it...The chest vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
You feel that you have slightly corroded the trap on a simple maoral chest.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 09/30/2015 12:29 PM CDT
>Looking closely into the keyhole of the lock, you spy a small vial of liquid and a tiny hammer device which has been bent from striking range of the vial.

My locksmithing knowledge may be a bit faded, but that trap looks like it is already disarmed.

~Contemplar~
Re: HSN: ELR - Piercing Gaze (416) Updated! 09/30/2015 07:29 PM CDT
Hahahaha.

How did that get in my locker.

Thanks!

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p