407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 06:08 AM CDT
I'm wondering if Estild or another dev GM would chime in on a minor point with 407.

In some circumstances, it is possible that 407 gives absolutely no messaging.

Here is a normal case without success:
2015-04-20-4.log-You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Unlock spell...
2015-04-20-4.log-Your spell is ready.
2015-04-20-4.log->cast my chest
2015-04-20-4.log-You gesture at a simple thanot chest.
2015-04-20-4.log-The chest vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
2015-04-20-4.log:The scintillating light fades from your hands.
2015-04-20-4.log-Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Here is a case with no messaging (i.e. the chest does not vibrate or fly open, etc):
2015-04-20-4.log-You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Unlock spell...
2015-04-20-4.log-Your spell is ready.
2015-04-20-4.log->cast my chest
2015-04-20-4.log-You gesture at a simple thanot chest.
2015-04-20-4.log:The scintillating light fades from your hands.
2015-04-20-4.log-Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

There was no trap on this chest that I am aware of; certainly if there was one, we did not make any attempt to disarm it. I note that my young wizard attempted to pop this centaur box 44 times before giving up, and I passed it off to my near-capped sorcerer, who also took two attempts to pop it. Even in this case, the lack of messaging for Unlock occurred exactly once (attempt number 22, if you'd like to know).

My inference, previously stated on my guide (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Popping_boxes#Messaging_4), was that this could happen under the situation of an extreme fumble or failed attempt, and was thus the only feedback mechanism at all from 407 (ie: I consider it a feature).

However, Doug was skeptical about my claim at first (though, I hope now with my replies on the guide discussion and update to the guide itself, he will be satisfied with my claim). He wrote:

>I'm curious where this line comes from >> Very poor attempts or fumbles sometimes result in no messaging at all << There is only one known case where messaging will not occur as far as I know. When a trap is magically disarmed, but the roll indicates that the trap would have been triggered, the box will not vibrate. That line will be skipped. I believe someone registered it in the bug database (but of course, cannot confirm). I can tell you by direct experience, however, that it does happen in those conditions. I've never seen it happen in any other condition, however, with all the boxes I've popped.

If possible, I would like to know under what circumstances Unlock (407) can result in no messaging. So far we have at least two proposals:

1) A very poor attempt, nothing to do with any traps.
2) A poor attempt which could have triggered a trap which is disarmed.

Are both of these right? Are they bugs? As for the first one, if it is in fact possible as my experience indicates, I do not consider it a bug but a feature. Regardless, this situation is rather rare.

I admit it could be some weird case where lich or my FE are eating the line. But my experience showed this only happened with quite difficult boxes and a large array of attempts. I am also not accustomed to lich or FE eating other lines of my game feed, and I'm pretty certain I experienced this in Warlock as well, possibly before I was even using lich.

Owing to the basically blind aspect of Unlock (no rolls are shown, virtually no feedback), it is really hard for players to get an idea what's going on here, even if we did further testing. Hence, my post.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 09:45 AM CDT
>>However, Doug was skeptical

I'd have preferred it suggested that I was curious, rather than skeptical (still am!) Since our exchange, I've been watching for this exact case, and have yet to see it. I appreciate you sharing it, Daid.

One thing I know - it isn't a Lich problem; I've was tracking this well before I started using Lich.

Doug
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 10:34 AM CDT
It's a bug. It means the trap should have been set off, but didn't for some reason. If you see this happen, please BUGITEM the box in question, then post here again so I can investigate. I need to see the properties of the box in question to help track down the problem.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 10:53 AM CDT
Maybe because its a plated box and plates act like traps in some ways, but they don't go bang?

I've seen this several times and almost all the boxes I pop are plated.
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 11:07 AM CDT
It definitely happens with plated, too - so I agree with you, Rath. The only trap I cannot recall seeing this message on is the sulpher bag - for what I hope are very obvious reasons. I'll manually disarm a few and then pop them to see if it happens there, as well.

Estild - want us to save the boxes for your review? Or will the bugitem capture everything you need?

Doug
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 11:17 AM CDT
Doug
Estild - want us to save the boxes for your review? Or will the bugitem capture everything you need?

You don't need to save them. BUGITEM will provide all the information I need.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 11:24 AM CDT
>>BUGITEM will provide all the information

Excellent! I suspect my (very few and very old) entries of yore were under 408 bug - but I'll switch up to box bugitem. Thanks!

Doug
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 12:01 PM CDT
Doug
Excellent! I suspect my (very few and very old) entries of yore were under 408 bug - but I'll switch up to box bugitem. Thanks!

Yeah, technically, this is a bug with the spell, but without being able to see the box's trap/lock properties, it will be difficult to track down the specific issue. BUGITEM will take a snapshot of all the properties and includes it on the report so I can easily reproduce the box for testing.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 01:17 PM CDT
>>However, Doug was skeptical

>I'd have preferred it suggested that I was curious, rather than skeptical

"Skepticism" suggests a higher level of intelligence than "curiosity" to me, for what it's worth.

>It's a bug. It means the trap should have been set off, but didn't for some reason.

Weird. (I'm assuming this is the same thought from a dev GM side, too. I have some confidence some of these boxes are not trapped etc. I killed myself a lot of times writing my guide!)

I will keep a keen eye out for this and BUGITEM as I can!

I would have further requests (since as I said I found this to be a feature), but I'll leave that to my impending constructive suggestions for elemental lore review.

^_^

Thanks for the interest and replies, everyone! I've been working hard for a long time with the goal of a "perfect" popping boxes guide. I know it cannot be perfect, but I can set my aim high, yeah?

Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 01:21 PM CDT
The SAD SAD part is Kaldonis didn't 416 this particular box.

But we can narrow the traps down by knowing it's not a trap that's set off by 407?!?

Anyway, definitely gonna keep popping with my new wizard to replicate this.

Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 05:53 PM CDT
>>"Skepticism" suggests a higher level of intelligence than "curiosity"

Heh. You're very kind, Daid. Perhaps overly so. :) Thanks!

Doug
Re: 407 lack of messaging 04/24/2015 10:34 PM CDT
>Heh. You're very kind, Daid. Perhaps overly so. :) Thanks!

Don't feed the trolls!

Re: 407 lack of messaging 05/17/2015 10:45 AM CDT
Hey, Estild - just submitted my first bugitem for this.

Interesting point to note, it was plated (no real surprise there) and of course, I didn't waste the mana on 408. So while I've been laboring under the premise it's a bug with 408, with Daid / Rath's inputs I'm pretty close to switching up my opinion on this.

I'll probably be submitting a 408-specific bugitem here shortly. . . I need to find a needle trap!

Timidly,

Doug
Re: 407 lack of messaging 11/02/2015 08:39 PM CST
Thanks for the bug reports, DAID and Doug. It helped me track down two separate issues which was causing this problem. It should now be resolved. If you see any more, just let me know.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 407 lack of messaging 11/03/2015 10:11 AM CST
Excellent! Thanks, Estild, for digging in and laying this particular bug to rest. I wonder if we reward GMs for killing the 'oldest registered surviving defect'? This has to be close to the top of that list!

Doug
Re: 407 lack of messaging 11/03/2015 04:13 PM CST
Great! I was hoping the bugitem "another box for Estild" wasn't getting too irksome.

Thanks for looking in to this. Makes me happy to have initiated the discussion, even if my initial theory was wrong.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p