Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/22/2017 07:53 PM CDT
1) Provide a (very high cost) way to restore the recharge lifespan to an item (and extend the idea to scroll life with Infusion (714)). This must be done before an item 'greens'.

2) Alternatively, get rid of 'greening' items, and up the costs of recharging an order of magnitude or two.

3) Create a special potion / process to handle 'non-standard' (merchant recharge) items (Curtis' idea in another thread).

4) Allow the mana pool to be tapped during the recharge process so a single charge can completely fill an item (rather than multiple orb rubs, a single one).

5) Allow the wizard to 'enchant' a very expensive orb gem that will improve various properties or facets of the recharge process (reduce failed rubs, double mana throughput, prevent greening, etc.)

6) Bonus round - allow 517 to be used in the 'binding' process for enchanting for collapsing multiple steps into a single cast.

Doug
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 07:15 PM CDT
1) Provide a (very high cost) way to restore the recharge lifespan to an item (and extend the idea to scroll life with Infusion (714)). This must be done before an item 'greens'.

2) Alternatively, get rid of 'greening' items, and up the costs of recharging an order of magnitude or two.

3) Create a special potion / process to handle 'non-standard' (merchant recharge) items (Curtis' idea in another thread).

4) Allow the mana pool to be tapped during the recharge process so a single charge can completely fill an item (rather than multiple orb rubs, a single one).

5) Allow the wizard to 'enchant' a very expensive orb gem that will improve various properties or facets of the recharge process (reduce failed rubs, double mana throughput, prevent greening, etc.)

6) Bonus round - allow 517 to be used in the 'binding' process for enchanting for collapsing multiple steps into a single cast.

Doug

Begin personal opinion section

I'll be honest, I've stopped pursuing wizard-centric personal pet projects due to the amount of vitriol, hostility, and consistently contradictory desires floating around on these boards. I lead with the previous statement to insure that no expectations are raised about my intentions on this subject, even if I ask probing questions on it.

That being said, I'm responding to this post because it touches on one of my tabled projects.

Let's start with something simple. In the above items you guys ask for a "special potion." When adding something like this, my goto is alchemy as it could be inserted as a higher tier potion as a reward for those that have made it through the alchemy process. Yet in the past week I've seen countless statements to the affect of "fix it, but don't force us to rely on alchemy QRLHLJKAD#!$(&!!!" That generally leaves me with limited options for distribution of "special potions." They can be merchant items (limited via silvers, simucoins, raffle, special events), random treasure items, or dropping the "special" and in turn power of the item and sticking it in a town store. There have been complaints about merchant releases and alchemy, so the venues for distribution dry up pretty quickly when those are eliminated. Feel free to suggest alternatives to those distribution methods.

Some would make the argument that all magic items should be rechargable, and handling anything through potions are just bandaids, that the spell should be rewritten to "bring it into the year 2017." This starts the division. You've one side asking for a small boon, then another side that complains boons don't go far enough - and those voices tend to grow louder as releases progress.

When (collective) you can't agree on the basic problems and direction, we (GMs) make the decisions on how to fix (or not fix) items.

So, I'm curious if we (collective) can just reach a consensus on the very basic elements of 517.

Can we all agree that...
-Nothing should last forever (No perm general distribution rechargables)
-517 should be useful to all 17+ level mages to some degree
-Recharging items should not be free and should have some costs (beyond just mana) associated with it

If we can reach agreement on the basics, maybe we can have a conversation about it, until that and civility return to these forums it's just added noise (in my opinion).

End personal opinion section

-Viduus
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 07:24 PM CDT

>fix it, but don't force us to rely on alchemy QRLHLJKAD#!$(&!!!" That generally leaves me with limited options for distribution of "special potions."

lots of alchemists would be happy to see alchemy used more :) with the guild boost items and Wednesday guild nights, this shouldn't even be an issue anymore. It sucks to have put the effort into the original requirements of alchemy only to have things not released because people complained on the boards. That's not cool.

Of course when things are released via alchemy it ends up requiring some absurd ingredient and once again the time and effort put in doesn't mean much, so yeah, some sort of middle ground should exist.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 07:34 PM CDT
>> lots of alchemists would be happy to see alchemy used more :)

This.

>> Of course when things are released via alchemy it ends up requiring some absurd ingredient and once again the time and effort put in doesn't mean much, so yeah, some sort of middle ground should exist.

And this! (referencing recent elemental pre-temper potion alchemy requirements).

Make the effort to make something via alchemy somewhat equal to the resulting reward.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 07:39 PM CDT
There seem to be contradictory desires because some seem to want this game to descend into as much tedium as possible, while others enjoy the direction of other profession upgrades that are focused on quality of life. I am especially concerned these days with quality of life for the non-scripting player, particularly when it comes to combat. This is the year 2017 in this text game we're playing, so I personally prefer to see the positive direction of development that other professions largely enjoy vs. nerfing most things for wizards and introducing more tedium as a way of adding "flavor".

>you guys ask for a "special potion."

One guy asked for a special potion. I personally am against potions or excessive spell component requirements of any kind. This is what sorcerers argued against for years with their spells and why Ensorcell was such a positively received spell implementation. That's what many people are referring to when we discuss what we wanted out of bringing Enchant Item up to 2017.

>Feel free to suggest alternatives to those distribution methods.

I disagree with special potions, so I disagree we need alternative distribution methods.

>Nothing should last forever (No perm general distribution rechargables)

We actually can agree on this, because that's what ripping off the band-aid with the change to GS4 entailed. Reversing that would only lead to even more item and power creep, plus dependency on outside spells that would be inevitably balanced into combat as nerfs.

>517 should be useful to all 17+ level mages to some degree

I don't agree. Plenty of spells aren't useful at the time one initially learns them. That's the whole point of gaining experience, and post-cap experience in particular. See 714.

>Recharging items should not be free and should have some costs (beyond just mana) associated with it

I don't disagree with costs, but I disagree with requiring some tedious and rare potion to do it. The bigger problem is that 517 by definition is limited to a much smaller spell selection, generally treasure system generic drops, as it's far rarer to find mage rechargeable spells of other kinds than it is to find any given spell in a scroll collection.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 08:04 PM CDT
I'm not unhappy with the current system in a general sense. A couple things I think that would be nice add-ons from my perspective.

- Add alchemy potions that allow you to boost your ability (allow you to add more charges than you can otherwise with your current skill / training). Don't make these super easy to make but don't go the route of greater essences (with 4 dropping over 2 weeks?) either.

- Allow for a way to take a blank imbeddible and via 420-Magic Item Creation, set the spell into the item using the alchemy potion of the appropriate spell (with minimal charges). This makes all those alchemy potions that each profession can make useful / valuable and broadens the spell availability for 517-Charge Item (which you would use to charge the item once it had been created via the special usage of 420).

>> Can we all agree that...
>> -Nothing should last forever (No perm general distribution rechargables)
>> -517 should be useful to all 17+ level mages to some degree
>> -Recharging items should not be free and should have some costs (beyond just mana) associated with it

I'm good with all of these items. 517 is useful to 17+ mages today much the same as 930 is to 30+ mages. Which is to say, of limited usefulness but it improves with additional training.

On the third point - I'm fine with the current requirement but I think it provides a barrier to a lot of younger wizards because they have no way to directly identify the requirement component (an orb gem). Enhancing 405 to detect this or providing some other means for the wizard to identify a base requirement for their spell would be a positive thing in my mind. Note: For me personally this is a non-issue today, I just hand my wife's bard a sack of 50 gems at a time and ask her to make as many of them as possible into an orb gems. Then I'm set for awhile. But early on I didn't even bother with this spell because it was too much of a PITA to track down an orb gem. Just my perspective - you can certainly argue that my wizard could have been more outgoing / interested in seeking out bards and bugging them to check gems for me, etc.

Also, adding some additional information into this archaic spell such that it keeps track of the charges added, let's you determine your target cap, etc would be a welcome and wonderful addition (the first point because I have to use a 3rd party script to track this for me today and the second point because items need to have the EXACT same number of charges in order to stack in a player shop).

I'm not particularly interested in Doug's proposed suggestions 1, 2, 3, and 6 (I'm not opposed to them either).

The other two points:
>> 4) Allow the mana pool to be tapped during the recharge process so a single charge can completely fill an item (rather than multiple orb rubs, a single one).

This would be a nice quality of life improvement and could maybe be worked into allowing the wizard to set the target by determining the mana to be added.

>> 5) Allow the wizard to 'enchant' a very expensive orb gem that will improve various properties or facets of the recharge process (reduce failed rubs, double mana throughput, prevent greening, etc.)

I'd be interested in discussing what sort of enhancements might be possible / available along these lines. :-)

-- Robert

Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 08:27 PM CDT
I have no interest in Doug's proposed suggestions 1-5 as again it's spell component heavy, increasing in cost, or goes against GM Viduus' point about item permanence. While I would like #6, I am fairly certain this would be considered OP, and IMO it doesn't solve the many problems that currently exist with Enchant Item. We might be asking too much out of one spell with that ask.

>Allow for a way to take a blank imbeddible and via 420-Magic Item Creation, set the spell into the item using the alchemy potion of the appropriate spell (with minimal charges). This makes all those alchemy potions that each profession can make useful / valuable and broadens the spell availability for 517-Charge Item (which you would use to charge the item once it had been created via the special usage of 420).

We already can 420/325 every spell that's approved, so this would only allow for the inclusion of the few empath potions plus greater access to the few Major Spirit potions. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble just for access to Adrenal Surge on a practical basis.

>Also, adding some additional information into this archaic spell such that it keeps track of the charges added, let's you determine your target cap, etc would be a welcome and wonderful addition (the first point because I have to use a 3rd party script to track this for me today and the second point because items need to have the EXACT same number of charges in order to stack in a player shop).

I'm all for quality of life improvements along these lines.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 10:46 PM CDT
Thanks for running with this, Viduus. Understand and appreciate the personal opinion / reservation.

Can we all agree that...
-Recharging items should not be free and should have some costs (beyond just mana) associated with it

No qualms here. I would suggest a QoL effort that allows a wizard (the better trained, the more reliable) to be able to track an item's progress towards total deterioration. And, add it to scrolls / 714. In case a 'improve the life' concept were ever possible, I would think this is a prereq.

>>In the above items you guys ask for a "special potion."

A brief explanation, perhaps. I don't care if it's alchemy, or not - my reason for calling it a 'special potion', though is because I recognize alchemy as a delivery vehicle, and also recognize that some players really enjoy this vehicle. And so far, there's exactly zero compelling reason for the Elf to undertake alchemy. Please don't read this as I don't get alchemy at all - I have other pures who have completed alchemy, just no wizards. But it does mean that the Elf finds zero attraction to it. Someday, something will be discovered that will cause him to rethink and perhaps pursue. But - it needn't be done through alchemy either (that's the 'process' portion), in my view.

>>Feel free to suggest alternatives to those distribution methods.

Here are a couple thoughts on 'process' (as opposed to alchemy / potion only).

- training points spent via a pure-only mechanism. Call it whatever works (pure cman spell specialization, increased training only offered at the special school of Elven magics). Tier the additive spell effects, and have multiple visits with multiple training point expenses. Don't just make it a 'increases each 10 levels of training in Elemental XX circle', make it a discrete and sought-for training event. Broader potential applicability than just this spell, for a bonus. ;)

- one-time silver expense at an NPC (think 10's of millions of silver, maybe?) to learn a nuance of the spell heretofore unknown.

- Deeper Spell Knowledge enhancive - grants the base spell to all, but in the hands of (or on the person of) a character that already knows the base spell, unlocks a tier or two (or 6?) of ability with that spell. Again, broader potential applicability than just this spell, for a bonus. [See what I did there?]

Personally, I like choice - I see nothing wrong (other than Dev time investment) in all four (potion, training point, buy-to-win, D-SK), and give players their choice of distribution mechanism. Even allow (as players' characters age) us to switch up and pick / choose what might be advantageous to us in the moment.

As a brief aside - I think most of the commentary about 'tedium' has to do with lack of choice and feeling forced. That latter suggestion around choice might help hedge that fairly substantively. Not sure, though.

Doug
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/23/2017 10:58 PM CDT
Can we all agree that...

I agree with the above as they make sense.

My personal opinion is that 517 requires more hoops to jump through than 925 which doesn't make much sense to me. I'd just like 517 to be a bit more straightforward like 925.

I suggest the following changes:
1. Remove the Orb Gem requirement and be able to use any gem of a specific value; let's up the minimum threshold to say 2,000 silvers plus as even low level characters come across gems of this value. (I don't feel wizards should have to seek out another profession to create special gems for this spell)

2. Reduce the number of casts to prepare the orb. It's just tedious to have to cast 517 over and over at the gem until it is "flickering in color and humming tones of enchantment." I could live with this if it followed a straight forward rule that a 2000 silver gem required 2 casts, a 3000 silver gem required 3 casts, etc. I'd also like to see a straight forward rule that a 2000 silver gem can charge 2 items, a 3000 silver gem can charge 3 items, etc.

3. Reduce the number of rubs with the item requiring charging. To me this is more tedium again. I'd prefer a single rub to max out the number of charges dependent on the value of the gem or allow us to specify the number of charges or use a different command to add 1 charge per use.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 07:52 AM CDT
I personally don't have any beef with Alchemy. It's one of those tedious tasks of the guilds that some people really, really (I'd even say, borderline love) like and others really, really hate.

If you take a base function of a spell and require potions from alchemy to be the key component to utilize the spell, then that screws over a lot of people.
Anyone that doesn't do alchemy, they're SOL on two ends:
1) they don't do alchemy (granted they could learn, but usually they haven't because they're most likely in that group that really, really hates the guild skills) so they can't simply make use of the spell because they lack the ability without knowing alchemy
2) they must rely upon others that have taken the time to get through alchemy - which can be very tedious when it comes to tracking down necessary ingredients and costs that you may have to pay to get things made

This is one of the huge faults, in my opinion, with the addition of being able to enchant flaring items. Not to mention the fact that greater essences are extremely rare to find and usually the person that could use them has to buy them at a high cost and it's just not worth it.

IF alchemy is to be tied to the spell, then make it be a boost to the spell, but not a requirement. Alchemy could do a bunch of things:
Allow orbs to last longer
Reduces cost of mana to recharge items by X%
Increase the amount of mana an item can hold by X%
Reduce the difficulty of recharging spells outside a wizard's realm by X%
I'm sure there are other things people could think of that alchemy could be used to boost how 517 works. But please, do not build any spell off absolutely requiring alchemy to be needed to utilize the spell at any level.

-Drumpel
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 09:02 AM CDT
I have no personal interest in doing anything at all related with Alchemy. (Although I do enjoy selling off the n'ayanad crystals, at 3K+ a pop.)

However, I believe that the system offers a rich diversity of "things it could be possible to do", and by simply adding different ingredients / concocting different recipes / expanding upon those capabilities, it can be turned into something actually desirable.
Many of the resultant trinkets are really quite good, but few people produce enough of them to make them readily available, so they never get used on a regular basis, so there's little demand for them, so nobody produces them. See "tedium" argument.

I also think that adding more things that Alchemy CAN do will make it more desirable for folks to have, leading to more people generating things, leading to them being more regularly available.
To that end, I wouldn't mind if it could produce more of the Arcane trinkets that already exist, but seem to be quite rare random drops.
(Basically, any of the items that generate Arcane spells. I think I have seen ONE of the firestorm thing, one time, ever; and one of the rust particles (?) or whatever it was.
The gold coins happen every so often, but I find a lot more of them in the pawn shop than I do in treasure. Those, by the way, I would pay a pretty penny to pick up from a player-run Alchemy shop. Illoke Mystics have killed me once, severely wounded me once, and massively inconvenienced me [by stripping off Elemental Targeting [once], Elemental Barrior [once], Elemental Defense III [once], and Sonic Runestaff [twice]] several times.)

I totally agree with adding something to Detect Magic/405. I would go so far as to make the grot t'kel potion drinkable, and give it a duration during which any gem the imbiber casts at is able to be determined whether or not it can be an orb. OR just add in an EL:<whatever> requirement, such as what happened with Air Lore already added to the spell. Or hey! You could just add it to the existing Air Lore benefit...

Most likely it's been a decade and a half since I did a Recharging session, but I would have no qualms about using a pre-grot potion in the same manner that a pre-temper potion is done for Enchanting <shrug> I can no longer speak to the ease or difficulty of acquiring orb gems, because as the player of a Bard as well I have what amounts to an embarrassing number of them, and generally make at least one accidentally every night. (Most of which--uncut rubies, pink or blue sapphires, any pearl other than tiny [which start off being orbs]--get sold, because they are below my personal threshold of 8k value, which is the lowest I keep for giving to a Cleric to become a Chrism gem.)

I also completely agree on the tedium involved with actually DOING the charges, though that may be ameliorated somewhat by my Mage now being, ohh, must be a good 3 or 4 levels [heh] higher than the last time I did any Recharging. Just moving the mana around was a giant pain in the tuckus, and usually the orb lasted a lot longer than my mana supply did. (Or maybe I just need to use crappier gems.)
Or maybe a higher-quality gem requires less mana, because you've got a better conduit. Less resistance; like using purer copper in an electrical wire. 2k gem is bare minimum; 3k gem only requires 98% of the mana; 4k gem 96% of the mana, 5k gem 94%, 6k 92%, 7k 90%, 8k 88%, 9k 86%, 10k 84%, 11k 82%, 12k+ 80%.
Between some of the nice rocks in the Summit cubes, and Purification/1004, I've gotten to 11k already. I would imagine that higher level Bards may be able to safely take their stones further still, and there's always gem-cutters.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 10:53 AM CDT
Can we all agree that...

So, assuming this is a reasonable baseline of assumptions... so far (for the most part) so good... Also keeping in mind that you don't always get what you ask for.

What are your expectations for how long an average rechargable should last? Assuming you start with a 40 charge item on the first successful session, how many additional charges do you think is reasonable to push out of it?

What are your expectations for baseline usefulness? Obviously the value in things like scroll infusion and charge item come in being able to charge up spells you don't actually know, but what are the expectations for tapping into those abilities? Should it be limited to extreme post cap, level 17s, somewhere in the center? It would probably be helpful to list these expectations as something along the lines of... I expect a level 17 to be able to reasonably charge aqua/gold wands to X charges. I expect a level 50 mages to be able to reasonably charge 103 items to X charges. I expect a fresh capped character to reasonably charge small statues to X charges. I expect a mutant (extreme charge item trained) build capped mage to charge 215 items to X charges.

I'm hearing that you don't like reagents tied to base functionality of spells, but there seems to be an expectation/openess to have the option to pay more to offset penalties. As an example, let's say that a fresh level 17 can dump 20 charges into most wizard wands without special training. Is it reasonable to have a potion that mage can buy to extend his capacity to 30-40 charges, or would you view those potions as base functionality requirements?

And as a reminder... I'm not actively working on charge item (so don't make assumptions), I'm simply looking to establish a discussion for baseline expectations on it.

Viduus
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:02 AM CDT
My only real problem with 517 is that rechargeable items are rare and only hold one spell, while any fresh scroll can be charged and usually have multiple spells.

I think that having both item degradation and the chance for greening can be a bit much. I wouldn't mind seeing one of them go away. Items still wouldn't be permanent were we to lose one of those.

But anyway...

>Can we all agree that...
>-Nothing should last forever (No perm general distribution rechargables)

Sure.

>-517 should be useful to all 17+ level mages to some degree

I'd like to see all spells be useful from the start, but still get better as you level up.

>-Recharging items should not be free and should have some costs (beyond just mana) associated with it

As long as it's kept within reason, sure. I'm not sure what sorcerers spend to charge a scroll but somewhere in that same ball park shouldn't be a problem.

>alchemy

I don't think alchemy or any artisan skill should be a requirement for any profession to use their own skills/spells effectively. Profession skills like this should only have training requirements. At most, a potion being involved should grant a some sort of boost but never required to achieve the same end result. If a potion were required for merchant rechargeable stuff, I wouldn't mind that since we can't normally charge those anyway. If any potions are going to be required, they should come from the wizard guild shop.

And the 405 buffs that were already mentioned.

~ Methais
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:08 AM CDT
>What are your expectations for how long an average rechargable should last? Assuming you start with a 40 charge item on the first successful session, how many additional charges do you think is reasonable to push out of it?

No less than they currently last. The last thing I'm looking for out of any potential update is another secret nerf, like the tempering times.

>What are your expectations for baseline usefulness? Obviously the value in things like scroll infusion and charge item come in being able to charge up spells you don't actually know, but what are the expectations for tapping into those abilities? Should it be limited to extreme post cap, level 17s, somewhere in the center?

The difference between the usefulness of scroll infusion and charge item is the access to outside spells. Outside circle mage rechargeables rarely drop or are replaceable outside of the generic treasure system wands and Arcane circle spells. I would expect it to be limited similar to how scroll infusion is, where when you initially learn the spell, you aren't going to successfully infuse/charge much of anything outside your own circle. I expect to be able to optimize access to spells with minimal risk of excessively degrading (more infuses)/locking the scroll or greening the item at the same around fresh cap level.

>I'm hearing that you don't like reagents tied to base functionality of spells, but there seems to be an expectation/openess to have the option to pay more to offset penalties. As an example, let's say that a fresh level 17 can dump 20 charges into most wizard wands without special training. Is it reasonable to have a potion that mage can buy to extend his capacity to 30-40 charges, or would you view those potions as base functionality requirements?

I don't have an expectation to have the option to pay more to offset penalties. I actually believe penalties should be tied to experience and training, as otherwise if you can access everything upfront, particularly on a utility level, there is no reason to progress in this game. For reference, I like everything about the way 714 works vs. 517. I enjoy the flexibility of being able to infuse or fill one spell or scroll at will, instead of having to summon up another pure orb gem plus potion specifically for the occasion.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:16 AM CDT
This is a tangent, but artisan skills like alchemy are more or less DragonRealms skills. Add time-based absorption to them and crank up the cap, add a couple degrees of complexity, and they are nearly identical. Some folks enjoy this system; others don't. There is a degree of realism to it, but it also may involve begging/farming for components and babysitting a script. Improving a skill in DragonRealms often allows you to train a few other skills at the same time, either incidentally or intentionally, so there's a greater perceived reward. And, there's also the IC argument: some characters don't make sense toiling away in a workshop (even wizards).
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:18 AM CDT
I really dislike the grind heavy nature (= tedium) that we've been introducing into GemStone in many areas, imported from DragonRealms. I would greatly appreciate a stop to continuing this trend. It's not what I view as entertainment, or what I enjoy about GemStone. If I liked it, I would be playing DragonRealms instead.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:32 AM CDT

>I don't think alchemy or any artisan skill should be a requirement for any profession to use their own skills/spells effectively.

Alchemy is a professional guild skill, not artisan
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:33 AM CDT
>I'm hearing that you don't like reagents tied to base functionality of spells, but there seems to be an expectation/openess to have the option to pay more to offset penalties. As an example, let's say that a fresh level 17 can dump 20 charges into most wizard wands without special training. Is it reasonable to have a potion that mage can buy to extend his capacity to 30-40 charges, or would you view those potions as base functionality requirements?

I like the idea of elemental lores. I like the idea of alchemy.
I don't like when spells are designed to force them upon you to get a useful spell out of it as a result.

Spells 520 and 917 and even 909 are good examples of how a base spell is useful and then you can compound upon the spell with proper elemental lore ranks, mana control ranks or even alchemy (should it fit the idea of the spell). 917 is useful as long as you have decent wizard spell ranks, you don't need Fire, Water or Earth lore ranks to get good use out of it. If you decide to train in those lores, they can benefit spell in one way or another.

I wouldn't want to see alchemy or lores a required element of a spell just to make it functional for normal use. Have, as you suggested (reasonable to have a potion that mage can buy to extend his capacity to 30-40 charges), a way to boost the functionality of the spell.

>What are your expectations for baseline usefulness? Obviously the value in things like scroll infusion and charge item come in being able to charge up spells you don't actually know, but what are the expectations for tapping into those abilities? Should it be limited to extreme post cap, level 17s, somewhere in the center? It would probably be helpful to list these expectations as something along the lines of... I expect a level 17 to be able to reasonably charge aqua/gold wands to X charges. I expect a level 50 mages to be able to reasonably charge 103 items to X charges. I expect a fresh capped character to reasonably charge small statues to X charges. I expect a mutant (extreme charge item trained) build capped mage to charge 215 items to X charges.

Having a level 32 wizard that's 2x HP, he still requires the use of a 2-4 uncharged and duped wands or 1 fully charged wand (which he may not deplete the charges during the hunt) to complete a hunt when going from empty to full mind.

At his level, it would be nice to see that he could easily fully charge any gold/aqua wands and even crystal/blue/metal wands.
If there was a way through alchemy or buying a potion from the alchemist shop that could reduce mana costs when charging - awesome. Or maybe a potion that adds 50% of the mana you put into.
We'll say you have an empty gold wand (holds 40 charges) and it would take 240 mana to fill. We'll say the wizard has 100 mana and rubs the orb, with the potion used it would give a free 50% extra mana (which would be 50 mana) for a total of 150 mana (25 charges instead of 16). On the down side, the orb will only last long enough for 3-4 rubs or maybe every time the orb is rubbed the extra mana it provides drops by half and after 4 rubs the potion wears off.

As for spells outside of the wizard's realm, I think it would be nice (something more inline for capped/post-capped wizards could achieve) if Mental mana control and Spiritual mana control ranks would also aid in mana costs reduction for spiritual spells and mental spells. Just an added boon maybe.

There are possibilities for including alchemy or potions from the alchemist that can really benefit the spell (and other spells). Just please don't make them a requirement to make use of a spell or to make a spell somewhat useful. Keep spell 917 in mind - it's a great spell without lore. If you train in the proper lores the spell can be even better.

-Drumpel
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:43 AM CDT
I'll add that not every spell requires lores. 714 doesn't, and I wouldn't want 517 to either. Adding in lores is the first way to making a spell largely inaccessible until well post-cap.

When looking at what wizards largely like about recent spell releases though, see 520 or 917. Lores should be purely a bonus, not a requirement. Also, with a 4-way split, at least 2 lores should be able to substitute for each other for the same function.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:53 AM CDT
<<Adding in lores is the first way to making a spell largely inaccessible until well post-cap.

Can you explain this? I'm currently level 40 and have had no trouble being fully 2x in lore. Now to be fair, I like the concept of lores, so I've prioritized it over stuff like triple training spells, but I feel completely fine and viable in my choice.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:53 AM CDT
I would like blank Rechargeable items a HELL of a lot more if we went back more to our roots in RoleMaster: at 20th level/Lord, spellcasters gain the ability to create items in that list. (With our system, I would probably do it as "50 level spell research in a list", which theoretically someone could do at 23rd level.)
Yes, even the semis, and even the Squares, because they can--sure, 'eventually'--get to that level of knowledge.

Feel free to have it still require a grot, OR make a different potion for each Realm. Want a Hybrid spell? TWO potions (OR make a total of 6 potions, one for each Realm and one for each Hybridization).

But yeah, the point about finding all-list spells on scrolls, and <not that> in items, is a huge one.

Don't want your Paladins spitting out those Dauntless and Vigor items on their own? Fine.
Require the cast of Item Creation/420 to be as-is, but then permit the 'imbed' line to work from anyone. Now those pesky Paladins have to find someone to prepare their item for them up front, before doing their Dauntless or Vigor item or whatever.
Or require the creation of an other-Realm spell to eat an orb gem, or whatever.

Routing back to the discussion of Alchemy, I'm all for it--including creation of beneficial things for the doers of it--so long as I am not required to participate. I know that there are SOME people out there who like it, or who tolerate it, or who just do it because it's there, or whatever. If they want to charge a price for something they've done, that I'm willing to pay, I'm willing to let them enjoy both doing it & spending my silvers. If I don't feel a need for the item, I just won't buy it.
In the same manner that since I don't feel a need for that skill, I just won't do it.

(Likewise with musical instruments, on my Bards. Or Societies, on everyone but the oldest characters who were already in 'em. Or darts. Or Siegery. Or Spirit Beasts. Or Guilds. Or any of the other "train stuff up" progressions that we've had added.)
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:54 AM CDT

>Can you explain this? I'm currently level 40 and have had no trouble being fully 2x in lore.

you are training correctly (meaning intended design) and others are not
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:55 AM CDT
>Alchemy is a professional guild skill, not artisan

Most guild skills are also improved by repetition, though they use a point system to increase instead of the "ah ha" chance of an artisan skill. They are both closer to DragonRealms than GemStone's concept of a trainable skill, like first aid.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 11:58 AM CDT
>What are your expectations for how long an average rechargable should last? Assuming you start with a 40 charge item on the first successful session, how many additional charges do you think is reasonable to push out of it?

I don't know the numbers on 714, but I'm pretty sure they max at 20 charges and degrade from there, so probably something similar to that. Scrolls having multiple spells vs. rechargeables only having 1 should make up for the 40 charges vs. 20 charges thing.

>What are your expectations for baseline usefulness? Obviously the value in things like scroll infusion and charge item come in being able to charge up spells you don't actually know, but what are the expectations for tapping into those abilities? Should it be limited to extreme post cap, level 17s, somewhere in the center? It would probably be helpful to list these expectations as something along the lines of... I expect a level 17 to be able to reasonably charge aqua/gold wands to X charges. I expect a level 50 mages to be able to reasonably charge 103 items to X charges. I expect a fresh capped character to reasonably charge small statues to X charges. I expect a mutant (extreme charge item trained) build capped mage to charge 215 items to X charges.

I don't really have any suggestions for that, but I do think that standard wizard wands (iron/silver/aqua/gold/metal) should be very easy to charge even for a level 17 wizard. Mana isn't as much of an issue as it used to be, but it's still an issue at lower levels.

~ Methais
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:03 PM CDT
>Alchemy is a professional guild skill, not artisan

I don't think alchemy or any professional guild skill should be a requirement for any profession to use their own skills/spells effectively.

~ Methais
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:04 PM CDT
<<I don't think alchemy or any professional guild skill should be a requirement for any profession to use their own skills/spells effectively.

Are you ok with it being an enhancement / unlocking additional functionality?
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:09 PM CDT
>Can you explain this? I'm currently level 40 and have had no trouble being fully 2x in lore. Now to be fair, I like the concept of lores, so I've prioritized it over stuff like triple training spells, but I feel completely fine and viable in my choice.

You sacrifice a lot of quality of life in hunting via more Harness Power and access to spells before you learn them all by going 2x or even 1x lore pre-cap.

>you are training correctly (meaning intended design) and others are not

Thanks for telling us what the "correct" way to train is. There is no correct way to train, intended design or not. I argue that the intended design for wizards is flawed with the 4 way split and high thresholds requiring more of wizards to get similar levels of effectiveness out of their spells vs. other pures.

Pre-cap, I would choose to train in 3x spells where possible and 1.5x HP before picking up any lores. This is again personal choice, but for most spiritual spells, lores are always a bonus to enhance the effectiveness of spells rather than required for baseline functionality.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:15 PM CDT
>> >> >Can you explain this? I'm currently level 40 and have had no trouble being fully 2x in lore.

>> you are training correctly (meaning intended design) and others are not

I suspect the original design intent was for Wizards to train 1x in lores up to cap. Do you have a reference to something that says otherwise? 2x Lore training by design seems rather steep, not to mention that the current lore benefits don't really warrant it in most cases (opinion, mine).

-- Robert

Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:18 PM CDT
<<Pre-cap, I would choose to train in 3x spells where possible and 1.5x HP before picking up any lores. This is again personal choice, but for most spiritual spells, lores are always a bonus to enhance the effectiveness of spells rather than required for baseline functionality.

But there are trade offs there you're choosing to make, which is fine. But you were saying requiring lores makes it inaccessible until post-cap. Basically, do you think multiple training paths should be viable? Unless I'm going to run into some kind of brick wall at some point (which I doubt), I feel completely viable in my choice. You mention 1.5 harness power, that would give me more mana, but I can (and do) utilize my lores effectively to save mana. Tonis bolt + 906 followup is often very effective. Minor Steam is an extremely mana-efficient raw damage spell (the crits are worse, but the spell is an excellent choice vs non-corporal.) I'm currently training to Major Acid, which I expect to be great against bandits. (I even have a MOC rank for it!)

tl;dr- I'm having a lot of fun with lores well before cap. No problem if you don't want them, but I don't think it's fair to call them "inaccessible."
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:24 PM CDT
I should also explain that I don't know or care if I'm a maximally-optimized level 40 hunter. I feel like a very capable hunter, I'm having fun, and I'd be sad if functionality was stripped from lores because other people choose not to train them until cap. With that said, I completely agree that spells should be generally useful without lore (or with very little lore) and that lore should provide cool bonuses / maximize the spell. But from what I can see, that's exactly what the current design philosophy is. The only spells I can think of that don't really properly function without lore is 907 and 908, but you need very little lore there to make them good. (Like even 4 ranks starts to make them attractive.)

(i.e. Choosing not to train lores as I have should also be viable, but from LadyFleur and others just said, it is.)
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:25 PM CDT
>> What are your expectations for how long an average rechargable should last? Assuming you start with a 40 charge item on the first successful session, how many additional charges do you think is reasonable to push out of it?

Many common items cannot be reasonably brought to 40 charges even at cap today (small statues, quartz orbs, ruby amulets(!)) . So is this a reasonable base assumption for the discussion or are we assuming that charge item 2.0 would make allowances for this?

>> What are your expectations for baseline usefulness? Obviously the value in things like scroll infusion and charge item come in being able to charge up spells you don't actually know, but what are the expectations for tapping into those abilities? Should it be limited to extreme post cap, level 17s, somewhere in the center? It would probably be helpful to list these expectations as something along the lines of...

I think the current system works pretty well in this regard. More training allows for more charges to be added. Scaling the number of charges that can be added based on the power of the item (spell level) is reasonable. I'd like to be able to do more at cap though (e.g actually achieve 40 charges on more powerful items).

>> I'm hearing that you don't like reagents tied to base functionality of spells, but there seems to be an expectation/openess to have the option to pay more to offset penalties. As an example, let's say that a fresh level 17 can dump 20 charges into most wizard wands without special training. Is it reasonable to have a potion that mage can buy to extend his capacity to 30-40 charges, or would you view those potions as base functionality requirements?

Maybe cap charges at 20 with no gem or special reagent. Using a gem or inexpensive reagent (5k-10k) allows for charging multiple items up to as high as 40. Training would also be a factor in either case.

Potions: Potions are time consuming and generally not worth the value of the items required to make them. So if the reagent were an alchemy potion it should be with common / easily obtained ingredients or it should add additional features / capabilities over and above the base spell such that the effort is worth the final result.

>> And as a reminder... I'm not actively working on charge item (so don't make assumptions), I'm simply looking to establish a discussion for baseline expectations on it.

Happy to have the conversation. Thanks for helping to frame it.

-- Robert

Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:28 PM CDT
>But you were saying requiring lores makes it inaccessible until post-cap. Basically, do you think multiple training paths should be viable? Unless I'm going to run into some kind of brick wall at some point (which I doubt), I feel completely viable in my choice. You mention 1.5 harness power, that would give me more mana, but I can (and do) utilize my lores effectively to save mana. Tonis bolt + 906 followup is often very effective. Minor Steam is an extremely mana-efficient raw damage spell (the crits are worse, but the spell is an excellent choice vs non-corporal.) I'm currently training to Major Acid, which I expect to be great against bandits. (I even have a MOC rank for it!)

Lores for Charge Item specifically would make it inaccessible until post-cap as by definition, Charge Item is heavily dependent on one's mana pool.

Of course multiple training paths should be viable, and are, but I disagree with lore requirements for wizards requiring more sacrifice and resulting in more sub-optimal performance and results than any of the other spiritual pures enjoy. I think people are aspiring too low or have no idea of the tradeoffs that wizards have to make now vs. what the other pure professions enjoy.

"Viable" is not what I consider fun though. Specifically with respect to Charge Item, I would not want it to be dependent on lores in any way, as Scroll Infusion is not. I'm looking for parity among professions when it comes to the same kind of utility and combat tradeoffs we make.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:42 PM CDT

If I'm 1.5x in Harness Power, that's another 35 mana at level 70 (to pick an arbitrary experienced-but-pre-cap number), or about a 17% increase. I'm sure that would make it better, but I can't imagine any sane implementation of the spell that would make it worthless with 17% less mana, right?
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:45 PM CDT
>Are you ok with it being an enhancement / unlocking additional functionality?

I'd be ok with it providing a boost. Additional functionality, probably not, but it would depend what that is and how big of a difference it would make. What did you have in mind?

~ Methais
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 12:53 PM CDT
Many common items cannot be reasonably brought to 40 charges even at cap today (small statues, quartz orbs, ruby amulets(!)) . So is this a reasonable base assumption for the discussion or are we assuming that charge item 2.0 would make allowances for this?

I phrased this incorrectly. What I was looking for is an actual number for expected total charges that you guys feel is a reasonable number. Be that 40, 80, 160, etc, what do you guys feel is reasonable over the lifetime of a rechargeable, and why?

Viduus
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 01:00 PM CDT
>If I'm 1.5x in Harness Power, that's another 35 mana at level 70 (to pick an arbitrary experienced-but-pre-cap number), or about a 17% increase. I'm sure that would make it better, but I can't imagine any sane implementation of the spell that would make it worthless with 17% less mana, right?

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure this line of discussion is productive because currently, lores aren't required and success in using 517 is based on many factors and other skills. You may enjoy your current setup, but all I'm saying is I don't want there to be new requirements added to access the base functionality of the spell or any intended improvements along the lines of Enchant Item. As it stands now, 517 does not require lores for its base functionality, just as 714 does not. I would not want that to change.

Instead of the Enchant Item update, I like the Mage Armor and Earthen Fury implementations of lore usage (none required with mana substitutes for access to specific functionality OR interchangeable lore types). But again, any potential update would need to be no less than the spell currently is, or I wouldn't want it touched anyway.

I feel like the disconnect between enjoyability of lores for pre-cap and post-cap wizards is that those post-cap know what we lost, which was a lot, especially on an offensive combat basis. I don't feel that the lore implementations to date, with the exceptions of 520 and 917, make up for the sacrifices.

>What I was looking for is an actual number for expected total charges that you guys feel is a reasonable number. Be that 40, 80, 160, etc, what do you guys feel is reasonable over the lifetime of a rechargeable, and why?

I feel that it's difficult to pinpoint a hard total number specifically because we don't know what it currently is. The one and only item I've personally tracked for its full useful lifetime was a 513 imbedded jewelry item. The lifespan of the current mage rechargeable depends also on the loresung value of the item/gem in question, which in this case was 10k. I managed to put 817 total charges in the item throughout its useful life, keeping in mind I'm a min-maxed post-cap wizard the entire time (I think). So when I say I wouldn't want the spell's functionality or effectiveness to be less than it currently is, that's what I'm talking about. Obviously 513 is a native wizard spell and the difficulty of recharging outside spells also shortens the effective lifespan of a MR item, so this isn't data that is readily available to most players.

I'll also add that despite commenting on proposed ideas for 517, which I'm doing so no one says later this is what everyone asked for without exception, I have little interest in prioritizing an update for 517 over a true combat fix to 525 or a post-cap, single target instant kill that would result in the same daily hunting quality of life that the other pures enjoy.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 01:10 PM CDT
The entire Elemental Lore discussion reminds me of something that I've been saying for years. It started... well, actually, around 20 years ago, when GM Romulus was taking HUGE amounts of flak for implementing Sorcerer spells that required Spell Aim, or Mana Control, or something else.
Which--at that time--Sorcerers of the day hardly ever noticed or trained in at all, until way up in levels and they didn't have anything else to spend points on, really. (Note: at that time, no level caps.)

Maybe they learned their response style from Ophion, but the large number of GMs who replied, and the point that Romulus kept getting back to, was, "You [the profession] can multi-train in the skill. You should have some."

The dialogue between LadyFleurs and Curtis brings this out, to me. "I am doubled in Lore, and it's easy to work with. I'm level 40." versus "Lores are primarily post-cap, and add flavor."

I said back then, and at various points over the intervening years--particularly during when the GS4 re-write was going on--that the GMs should:
1) make a Design Decision, about what the skills are & mean and what their costs are & mean, and what their expectations are about that profession having those skills at those costs
and then they should
2) TELL THE PLAYERS what those expectations are.

Something like what I wrote up, for example:
"If you can triple in it, then the assumption is that you will be singled in it; you may commonly double in it; you might (by choosing to specialize) triple in it. This is a core capability of your profession, and you will be assumed to be a mutant beyond the pale of intended design if you do not at least single in it."
"If you can double in it, then the assumption is that you will dabble in it [.5x or more]; you may commonly single in it; you might double in it."
"If you can only single in it, then the assumption is that your profession doesn't care diddly about the skill; you might dabble in it [anything up to 1x] but will never be any damn good at it."

Really would solve much of the conversation about Lore, though, huh? "We can double in it. We are assumed to be .5x or more in it, depending on personal flavor, and that's where spell design would be aimed."

I note for the record that "core successful Sorcerer training" is now a hell of a lot more diverse than "triple in Spell Research".
I further note for the record that not a single instance of any of the Design Teams that have come and gone over that time, have ever once said anything more substantial about skill training that what was coming up in Romulus' threads about his new Sorcerer spells.
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 01:12 PM CDT
>> What I was looking for is an actual number for expected total charges that you guys feel is a reasonable number. Be that 40, 80, 160, etc, what do you guys feel is reasonable over the lifetime of a rechargeable, and why?

Thanks for clarifying! I think I have two buckets I would put things into:

Bucket 1 - common treasure found items (e.g. quartz orbs, blue crystals, small statues, ruby amulets, heavy moonstone cubes, etc.)

I'm good with these items being chargeable up to 40 uses when fresh (with the appropriate skill) and then not being able to be charged again and decaying once the last charge is expended.

Why: These are commonly available items / easily replaced. The benefit of charging is convenience (quality over quantity).

Bucket 2 - Jewelry / Imbedible drops from the treasure system (with or without a spell) / imbedible items purchased at events

I think the newly introduced system for merchant rechargeable items seems workable even if a bit complex / wonky at first glance (each round of recharge and the item decays some so that the charge cap is lessened. Uncommon potions or merchant service could be available to restore item to 40 charge cap. So, outside of an intervention with an uncommon potion or merchant service these items would theoretically last for a few hundred uses but in practice would probably be discarded once the charge cap had dropped to some lower number).

I think item greening on top of limiting charges based on skill on top of reducing the item max charge cap over time is a bit much and would prefer to see the two options without the item greening feature (or conversely leave the possibility of greening the item but don't reduce max charge cap over time). Between these two options I would prefer to eliminate the greening as the more player friendly option as the useful life of the item will then be known.

Why: These items are fairly uncommon already in the treasure system (e.g. getting a mage rechargeable Heroism item) so I'd like to see a longer life on these items when they are discovered (but not an immortal life).

-- Robert

Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 01:15 PM CDT
"I'd like to see a longer life on these items when they are discovered (but not an immortal life)" -- Robert Evenstar(?!?)

Sssooo... "You choose, a mortal life." </Liv Tyler>
Re: Charge Item (517) Improvement Ideas 04/24/2017 01:19 PM CDT
>> Sssooo... "You choose, a mortal life." </Liv Tyler>

Indeed! Both personally and for rechargeable items! I'll leave the immortal life for the X/per day items.

-- Robert

Prev_page Previous 1 3 4