535-Haste 01/15/2017 01:59 PM CST
My wife's wizard made a level and apparently crossed over some spell benefit threshold with Haste by training an additional rank of MjE.

Every time she tried to refresh the spell it threw back an error message (I didn't capture it) and failed to renew the spell. Finally she Stopped the spell and recast it after which she was able to refresh it going forward.

Given this is a self cast spell can we simply have the spell refresh / update to the new and improved benefit when the current cast of 535-Haste is better than what is presently cast on the wizard?

That aside - problem resolved but seems like more of a bug than a 'feature'.

Thanks!

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: 535-Haste 01/16/2017 12:12 PM CST
If I understand the post correctly, the wizard had haste running already but may have trained up enough to boost the benefit. Thus when trying to refresh it is fails.

While I can see how it may be perceived as a potential bug, but I think it is intentional that it works that way. Reason being is that the haste effect stores your bonus for haste when it is cast initially. Thus so long as the bonuses are the same the spell can be refreshed/stack duration.

Now if you want to argue that it should simply "update" that bonus, and stack duration at the same time... I can see what we can do about that.

Also, just to clarify the error, it was the error you get when you already have haste running messaging of sorts? I have run into this on occasion myself, and I simply blamed the bard in the group for running their brand of group haste interfering with my wizard's. Stop 535, and recast always did the trick to fix it.

~Contemplar~
Re: 535-Haste 01/16/2017 01:19 PM CST
>> If I understand the post correctly, the wizard had haste running already but may have trained up enough to boost the benefit. Thus when trying to refresh it is fails.

Correct.

>> While I can see how it may be perceived as a potential bug, but I think it is intentional that it works that way. Reason being is that the haste effect stores your bonus for haste when it is cast initially. Thus so long as the bonuses are the same the spell can be refreshed/stack duration.

>> Now if you want to argue that it should simply "update" that bonus, and stack duration at the same time... I can see what we can do about that.

That is the argument that I am putting forth and what I am requesting. :-)

>> Also, just to clarify the error, it was the error you get when you already have haste running messaging of sorts? I have run into this on occasion myself, and I simply blamed the bard in the group for running their brand of group haste interfering with my wizard's. Stop 535, and recast always did the trick to fix it.

Yes. This is where Wizard cast haste is already running. The message received was "You magic clashes with that which is already there." (she was kind enough to dig it out of her logs.)

Stop 535 and recast of haste did correct the issue.

Thanks for looking into this!

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: 535-Haste 01/16/2017 01:58 PM CST
Does anything else update like that when your bonuses change?
(I would have selected Targeting & Barrier as my examples, but the last time I leveled and learned 2x Spell Research [== +1 to each of them, on the even rank for Targeting and the odd rank for Barrier], I ate an Earthen Fury so all my spells dropped off/had to be recast anyhow.)

I've always been in the habit of stopping/re-casting anything where a bonus can have changed, simply to force the system to give me the new effect.