Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 08:02 PM CDT
Its probably not random but likely similar to how 319 and 716 are implemented with a hidden roll of some sort.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 08:06 PM CDT

I love that the spell has base elemental effects instead of requiring attunement and/or a certain number of ranks in a lore in order to have any effect. More like this and thanks!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 08:33 PM CDT

SUCCESS == The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it absorbs the magic.
FAILURE == The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it attempts to absorb the magic.

I didn't mean to imply there was a guaranteed result on the water and lightning aspects of 520 on the wiki. They are subject to a hidden roll. You have a really high chance of being successful, but you will occasionally fail to have those effects trigger as they are part of combat and do factor a set of criteria into success. So, you probably won't prevent that level 200 beast from dispelling you, and you probably won't be able to stun it with a retaliation strike.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 08:42 PM CDT
> I didn't mean to imply there was a guaranteed result on the water and lightning aspects of 520 on the wiki. They are subject to a hidden roll. You have a really high chance of being successful, but you will occasionally fail to have those effects trigger as they are part of combat and do factor a set of criteria into success. So, you probably won't prevent that level 200 beast from dispelling you, and you probably won't be able to stun it with a retaliation strike.
>Viduus

That's pretty disappointing. Preventing the dispel has only happened once that I've seen so far. Are you going to share what goes into the success portion?

Dispel is a significant problem for a class that relies on spells for defense. Being able to prevent a dispel attack every 30 seconds was a huge benefit. It has failed to prevent the dispel attack 5/6 times during my use. I've noticed the other benefits, specifically fire and air, aren't random, why are the other lore effects random?
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 08:52 PM CDT
Without a guaranteed result for water and lightning I think you're guaranteeing they will be rarely used.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 09:05 PM CDT
>>That's pretty disappointing. Preventing the dispel has only happened once that I've seen so far. Are you going to share what goes into the success portion?

The situation you described at first glance seems like it could have merit for being a bug. Assuming the creatures doing it aren't special, you aren't severely over-hunting (20+ levels), and a few other factors you should be blocking dispels more often than you reported.

I was planning on looking in on you after I cleared out some issues, to see if it's just bad luck, the formula needs tweaking, or something else is going on.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 09:12 PM CDT
In other news...

Mage armor is no longer imbeddable. Mage armor is considered a signature defense spell of mage class and tailored specifically to them. As such, it will have reduced availability moving forward.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 09:25 PM CDT
This spell is definitely looking like a great new addition, so a big thanks to everyone involved! I also love that each lore based effect can be accessed regardless of training, and only sees improvement from lore training. This is definitely the direction that many of our spells should go.

Just out of curiousity, and maybe it's known but I've never heard, but is there a hard cap on the amount of padding one could achieve? It looks like a fully decked out earth mage could potentially achieve a base 10 points with an additional 26 points while stunned, for a total of 36 points of padding while stunned with 250 earth lore ranks. Throw some HCP armor and maybe sunfist into the mix, and you're suddenly sitting at 56 points of padding, which is currently off the charts.

Isle Snack Muncher
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 09:38 PM CDT
>Mage armor is no longer imbeddable. Mage armor is considered a signature defense spell of mage class and tailored specifically to them. As such, it will have reduced availability moving forward.

Thank you very much for this update.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 09:55 PM CDT
It would be helpful if whoever's editing the Wiki doesn't overwrite the accurate GM information with inaccurate data. The earth lore table, in particular, is completely incorrect.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 10:23 PM CDT
One tiny bug:

Changing the aspect to or from air doesn't update the Stormfront encumbrance bar to reflect your changed encumbrance level. The bar stays where it was until you do something that involves an encumbrance check, like standing up or typing "encumbrance".
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 10:27 PM CDT
Changing the aspect to or from air doesn't update the Stormfront encumbrance bar to reflect your changed encumbrance level. The bar stays where it was until you do something that involves an encumbrance check, like standing up or typing "encumbrance".

I'll look into it.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:22 PM CDT
I have to say that after spending a good chunk of my day Friday struggling to put together a basic wiki page that I have a new appreciation for the work the authors do on it. It seems like a labor of love to keep it visually appealing, accurate, and consistent with the rest of the site.

I was actually hoping that someone would clean up my page a bit. If some of the information is changed in the process of improving it, it's not a huge deal to go back and correct any inaccuracies.

I'll plan to review it once the work in progress is removed, so no need to panic over it changing.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:38 PM CDT
As nice as this bug is, it seems that the fire aspect is currently allowing the stance benefits to apply regardless of CHANNEL status.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/06/2016 12:26 AM CDT
>Changing the aspect to or from air doesn't update the Stormfront encumbrance bar to reflect your changed encumbrance level. The bar stays where it was until you do something that involves an encumbrance check, like standing up or typing "encumbrance".

I really disliked Stormfront when it first released and I thought the Wizard front end was so awesome! Fast forward a bit and I use Stormfront now and I have for years.....why didn't anyone tell me they had an encumbrance bar on it? Seriously....what the heck?

Now I have it up on all my characters! Nice!

-Drumpel
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/06/2016 01:35 AM CDT
Small thing to note with the wiki, when creating or editing pages it's often a huge time saver to grab templates off of other pages and then edit them to the correct values. Getting it all up to snuff (and formatted to where it's fit to be viewed) can take some time. Past that we do sometimes have people working to complete pages without a thorough understandings of whatever specific systems are included. Patience please.

This particular page isn't something I've contributed to meaningfully, but I've had my hand in enough of them to realize how much effort it can take.

Tal.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/06/2016 01:09 AM CST

Is the water focused version working as intended? I have 93 ranks of water lore on this mage, I had another mage of equal level dispel me and this is what happened.

>
xxxxxx intones a phrase of elemental power while raising her hands...
J>
xxxxxx gestures at you.

A shifting, prismatic aura coalesces around you, then vanishes in a brilliant flash!

The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it attempts to absorb the magic.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding you suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
You notice that things have returned to their normal speed.
The layer of raw elemental energy surrounding you dissipates.
You feel less confident than before.
J>
The watery look of the raw elemental energy surrounding you fades.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/06/2016 04:31 AM CST
A shifting, prismatic aura coalesces around you, then vanishes in a brilliant flash!
The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it attempts to absorb the magic.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding you suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
You notice that things have returned to their normal speed.
The layer of raw elemental energy surrounding you dissipates.
You feel less confident than before.
J>
The watery look of the raw elemental energy surrounding you fades.

This was a failed attempt at blocking the dispel, indicated by the messaging. It could probably be written to be a little more clear that it was a failure though.

I can understand why it the effect isn't guaranteed, but would it be possible to have failed absorption attempts NOT trigger the cooldown?
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/06/2016 05:27 AM CST

The issue was that the mage doing the dispelling was equal level and not a huge level gap. Also I'm yet to have this block a dispel from ANY monster.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/06/2016 01:57 PM CST
>You'll likely get 98% AS from Forward stance with 231 Fire vs 90% with 15. That's a big defensive boost for a minor offensive hit.

I don't consider a 40 point offensive hit minor at all. That's half of a maximum enhancive boost negated right there just for defense.

>I think the greatest difference in offensive usefulness for Fire Aspect will come when you're channeling in guarded.

I agree with this, but this is currently of minimal value given 519 is almost equally ineffective even when channeled in offensive with 2 open-hands now vs. any other offensive method of attack.

>tables

I'm confused where in the fire lore setup, you have room for combat mastery?

>It's not about the DS. It's about everything but the DS, and the stuff that really matters: evade, parry, (and block if you're a shield/staff post-cap build) maneuver defense, and CML defense all also get boosts in higher stances.

In my view, if you're looking for offensive benefits in a less than offensive stance, you're doing it primarily for the DS benefits.

>Rank 5 of Cunning Defense is 12 CM Points for +3 CML defense. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd be absolutely blown away if a 10% stance change didn't give a 1x CM postcap wizard more than 3 CML defense. (And the increase will only increase further with enhancives.)

You can't get more offensive than offensive, so if you're in offensive and have +3 CML defense, you'd still be better off than being in a non-offensive stance, trying to get offensive abilities, and sacrificing those extra +3 CML defense points for Combat Mastery. In other words, those Rank 5 Cunning Defense points come from Cunning Defense or nothing at all. The only reason you'd be in a less than offensive stance and use Combat Mastery to achieve offensive stance benefits is because you want the DS.