Prev_page Previous 1
Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 11:09 AM CDT
Time Stop (550) has now been released and is a new capstone Major Elemental spell available to wizards. When activated, it will remove a base 60 seconds of roundtime from the caster and reduce the duration of negative effects by the same amount (e.g. stuns, Bind (214), etc). It can be activated while in roundtime and while under most status conditions (stunned, webbed, immobile, etc) with the STOP TIME command. Starting out, it may be used once per day and uses resets at midnight ET. Training in Elemental Lore, Earth unlocks an additional use per day at 40, 115, and 190 ranks. Training in Elemental Lore, Air increases the amount of roundtime that is removed and the amount of time that is removed from negative effects by (1.5 * seed 1 summation of their EL:A ranks) seconds (e.g. at 28 ranks, it removes an additional 10 seconds; at 55 ranks, it removes an additional 15 seconds, etc). At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Water, the spell will automatically release an Elemental Wave (410) in the room, with additional lore training past that making it more difficult to resist. At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Fire, the spell will automatically release a fire Elemental Wave (similar to 435 but without the roundtime) in the room, with additional lore training past that making it more difficult to resist. Having 50 ranks in both EL:W and EL:F causes it act exactly like a fire Major Elemental Wave (435). In either case (or when both effects are combined), the wave is significantly more difficult to resist than the base 410/435 spell alone.

Credit to goes GameMaster Konacon for working on the code for this release.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 11:30 AM CDT
Good spell! I especially like the 'significantly more difficult to resist' comment.

Thanks, Estild and Konacon, for bringing this spell to the wizard profession.

Doug
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 11:36 AM CDT
What was the command to cast Time Stop without having the wave come out?
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 11:40 AM CDT
DEANSMITH
What was the command to cast Time Stop without having the wave come out?

STOP TIME NOWAVE (or WAVE if you want to force it to release the wave while in town (if justice is on)).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 12:31 PM CDT
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/spelllist.asp?circle=2#550
Still 'unnamed'

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/spelllist.asp?circle=5#950
Still 'unnamed'
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 12:35 PM CDT
KRAKII
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/spelllist.asp?circle=2#550
Still 'unnamed'
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/spelllist.asp?circle=5#950
Still 'unnamed'

We no longer update the spell database on the website. Players should use the wiki. I'll have it updated in the next few days.

...as always, Allereli already beat me to it for 550...

https://gswiki.play.net/550

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 01:02 PM CDT
Then this page should come with a written redirect to the GSWiki:
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 01:02 PM CDT
And, announcement re-written to include, you know. Line breaks after full sentences, and crap like that.

GS4-ESTILD
Time Stop (550) on 09/09/2016 12:09 PM EDT #2142

Time Stop (550) has now been released and is a new capstone Major Elemental spell available to wizards.

When activated, it will remove a base 60 seconds of roundtime from the caster and reduce the duration of negative effects by the same amount (e.g. stuns, Bind (214), etc). It can be activated while in roundtime and while under most status conditions (stunned, webbed, immobile, etc) with the STOP TIME command.

Starting out, it may be used once per day and uses resets at midnight ET.
• Training in Elemental Lore, Earth unlocks an additional use per day at 40, 115, and 190 ranks.
• Training in Elemental Lore, Air increases the amount of roundtime that is removed and the amount of time that is removed from negative effects by (1.5 * seed 1 summation of their EL:A ranks) seconds (e.g. at 28 ranks, it removes an additional 10 seconds; at 55 ranks, it removes an additional 15 seconds, etc).
• At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Water, the spell will automatically release an Elemental Wave (410) in the room, with additional lore training past that making it more difficult to resist.
• At 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Fire, the spell will automatically release a fire Elemental Wave (similar to 435 but without the roundtime) in the room, with additional lore training past that making it more difficult to resist.
● Having 50 ranks in both EL:W and EL:F causes it act exactly like a fire Major Elemental Wave (435). In either case (or when both effects are combined), the wave is significantly more difficult to resist than the base 410/435 spell alone.

Credit to goes GameMaster Konacon for working on the code for this release.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 01:05 PM CDT
The final/combined FireWater paragraph should contain a 'to', as in "...causes it TO act..."

I've updated my archived copy, but not re-posting here. :)
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 01:38 PM CDT
KRAKII
Then this page should come with a written redirect to the GSWiki:
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/

I'll request it, but that's really only needed for people who know the URL or bookmarked it. We already had it removed from the navigation menus on play.net.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/09/2016 02:40 PM CDT
Shows you how often I hit the 'Home' button, neh? :)

And yet, if you "spell" in <either of> the Search box(es) on the Home page, it is the top listing (then followed by each of the circles).
I think most people would be more prone to use a search box ON that page, than to click on the Wiki (and then search there on the Wiki).
But I may be projecting.

Next: if you are on the GemStone page and logged in, when you click on the "GemStone Wiki" button, you go directly to the Wiki page... on which you are NOT logged in.
1) I would suggest it spawn a new window, so that you can control your GemStone site login status as you wish; and
2) You should wind up on the Wiki page already logged in, if you started that way from Play.Net.
Re: Time Stop (550) Krakii thread 09/09/2016 02:53 PM CDT

A lot of the onsite stuff is so out of date, they should just remove it. The Wiki should be the source for all detailed stuff. If I'm informed right, you have done a lot of work on the Wiki and a lot of your stuff has been ported over, thanks for your dedication to your fellow players Krakii.
Just an elf about town...
Re: Time Stop (550) Krakii thread 09/09/2016 03:01 PM CDT
Nope, I was just the ornamental figurehead for KrakiiPedia.
(I think it was actually a Wizard who posted that name; he was heavily researching <something> and mentioned that he was "pouring over the tomes in Krakiipedia" to find out.
I was able to give him the answer, document where it came from, and correct his spelling [to 'poring'] all in a single post.
Naos wrote me and asked if I would have a problem--seriously? why the hell would I?!?!--using the name for real. I was pickled tink.)
Re: Time Stop (550) Krakii thread 09/09/2016 03:13 PM CDT
Heh, I'm pretty sure your namesake site was the most visited for many years.

Re: Time Stop (550) 09/10/2016 09:25 AM CDT
Bug and thoughts.

Kenstrom's storytime last night got a little heated, as a group of people burst into flames spontaneously. My character ended up being on the ground, stunned, burning alongside everyone else.. a few times. Perfect time to try it! So I did, but each time I got "Your armor prevents the spell from working correctly.", in response. I tried it a good seven or eight times, same thing.

Is the spell supposed to work when on fire? If so, there may be a bit of a bug there, since I can't believe my armor would fail me that many times in a row. If not, is there specific messaging we can get for situations when the spell won't work by design?

Also, I am assuming and hoping that a failed cast for whatever reason does not use up one's daily use.. Confirmation?

Aaaand in that vein, it would be so very amazingly nice if someone would consider our uses rolling over and stacking over time, perhaps with a limit. So if I did not use 550 today I would be able to use it twice tomorrow. I understand that in a normal hunt setting we should not be finding ourselves in the need to use the save me button that often, but as someone who participates heavily in storylines and invasions it is pretty much guaranteed Kenstrom or another GM will throw something at us or target us specifically, and I would love to be able to squeak out of those situations once in a while in addition to having the chance when I need it(rarely) while hunting. Asking for a break with cooldowns, or another route for additional uses(such as EMC) instead of earth lore, was not unreasonable to me.

The flamepoint sand kitten hisses at a patchwork flesh monstrosity.
... 9 points of damage!
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/10/2016 01:31 PM CDT
Our spell power shouldn't be balanced around storylines. 350 and 1150 cooldowns do not roll over either, and they require lores to unlock, so I think the way 550 works is fine.
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/10/2016 02:25 PM CDT
Thanks for your opinion :) I agree a profession's power shouldn't be wholly balanced around storylines/rp(or Duskruin), although I think altogether ignoring rp/storylines when making these decisions is a mistake. It's also my personal main beef with the forced lore split- A dedicated rp'd <insert element> mage should not be forced to ignore maxxing "their" lore and train in other lores to make the player feel more mechanically viable.

All aspects of a player's enjoyment of the game- be it solo hunting, group hunting, storylines, Duskruin, etc- should never be ignored, and since no one has mentioned the rp and storyline aspect, I thought I'd give my opinion on a tiny facet of it.

Because of that, I still disagree with the cooldown. I'd like to not compare it to other spells, but if I were comparing I'd certainly include the bard song in with the ones that keep getting mentioned. I think Methais said the only difference between that song and this spell is rt reduction and the ewave... and the song has no cooldown and works for groups. Like Methais suggested, I wouldn't mind leaving the cooldown on the rt/ewave aspect, but allowing us to use a basic version more. OR roll over the whole spell a couple times with a limit, which I still don't think is unreasonable and would like Elstid's or a NIR's opinion on it.

BUT my main reason for posting earlier was to point out the maybe-bug with casting 550 last night, and I ended up rambling.

... 9 points of damage!
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/10/2016 02:37 PM CDT
>but if I were comparing I'd certainly include the bard song in with the ones that keep getting mentioned

I absolutely wouldn't compare it to 1040 as semi's spells are more powerful because they have no utility spells such as enchanting and ensorcell. It's the tradeoff.
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 11:16 AM CDT
Two points of feedback:

1)
>> >stop time
>> You attempt to twist the the elements of time to your bidding, but are too exhausted for the task.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Not in RT, Stun, or anything else. Just casting the spell for a 2nd time. Should it throw me into 3 seconds of cast RT when nothing happends?

2)
Imagining that time has stopped around me I would think I might have an opportunity to get prepared for time to resume around me. Can we simulate this by throwing everything in the room into 3 or 5 seconds of hard RT so there is a bit of a pause in the action?

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 11:24 AM CDT
TIGGEREYE
Kenstrom's storytime last night got a little heated, as a group of people burst into flames spontaneously. My character ended up being on the ground, stunned, burning alongside everyone else.. a few times. Perfect time to try it! So I did, but each time I got "Your armor prevents the spell from working correctly.", in response. I tried it a good seven or eight times, same thing.

Can you post or email me a log of the incident? I'm trying to reproduce it, but when I try to STOP TIME while immolated, it's giving me the "You are in far too much agony to do that." message. What armor is your character wearing and how many Armor Use ranks do they have?

TIGGEREYE
Is the spell supposed to work when on fire? If so, there may be a bit of a bug there, since I can't believe my armor would fail me that many times in a row. If not, is there specific messaging we can get for situations when the spell won't work by design?

It will vary on a case by case basis. It'll work in most circumstances, but if it's storyline event with an NPC having special abilities, I'm not going to override those. However, the effect in question is just Immolation (519).

TIGGEREYE
Also, I am assuming and hoping that a failed cast for whatever reason does not use up one's daily use.. Confirmation?

Correct.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 11:28 AM CDT
Robert
Not in RT, Stun, or anything else. Just casting the spell for a 2nd time. Should it throw me into 3 seconds of cast RT when nothing happends?

Yes, a failed cast is still a cast. You had spend 3 seconds trying to cast the spell, to only have it fail at the end. Normally, it would cost mana too, but we felt 50 mana for a failed attempt was too harsh.

Robert
Imagining that time has stopped around me I would think I might have an opportunity to get prepared for time to resume around me. Can we simulate this by throwing everything in the room into 3 or 5 seconds of hard RT so there is a bit of a pause in the action?

Conceptually, there are a significant number of the things the spell could do, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Mechanically, we offer the induced RT through the Elemental Lore, Water benefit.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 12:34 PM CDT
Emailed. Thank you

... 9 points of damage!
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 11:03 PM CDT
TIGGEREYE

Thanks for the log. STOP TIME should now work while immolated.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 11:10 PM CDT
The first day 550 came out I used:

Inc 550 and saw the awesome messaging with the hourglass and such, and apparently that was my use for the day. It killed no RT, and at the time I didn't know it, so when I did need it while stuck in RT (the same day) I tried to use it and I couldn't.

The second day, I login and think (without checking using <spell>) okay I just need to use the stop time command when I need it. Again, when I was locked in RT it gave me the messaging that it was on cool down.

So today, I login and check using <spell> and it said I have used my Time Stop spell 1 out of 1 times today. Odd, asked around on Lnet, bugged it, and went about my business, knowing I wouldn't be able to use it.

I waited around until it reset tonight, having not used stop time or inc 550 and when I check <spell> I get:

You have cast the Time Stop spell 1 out of 1 times for today. The available uses will reset in 23 hours and 59 minutes.

Soooo I asked around on Lnet and I'm not the only one encountering this. Any help would be appreciated. :)

- Whill
Re: Time Stop (550) 09/11/2016 11:28 PM CDT
Whill
The first day 550 came out I used:
Inc 550 and saw the awesome messaging with the hourglass and such, and apparently that was my use for the day. It killed no RT, and at the time I didn't know it, so when I did need it while stuck in RT (the same day) I tried to use it and I couldn't.
The second day, I login and think (without checking using <spell>) okay I just need to use the stop time command when I need it. Again, when I was locked in RT it gave me the messaging that it was on cool down.
So today, I login and check using <spell> and it said I have used my Time Stop spell 1 out of 1 times today. Odd, asked around on Lnet, bugged it, and went about my business, knowing I wouldn't be able to use it.
I waited around until it reset tonight, having not used stop time or inc 550 and when I check <spell> I get:
You have cast the Time Stop spell 1 out of 1 times for today. The available uses will reset in 23 hours and 59 minutes.
Soooo I asked around on Lnet and I'm not the only one encountering this. Any help would be appreciated. :)

This should now be fixed. Thanks for reporting it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) I cast it once and... 09/12/2016 02:05 AM CDT
Had a griffin scoop me up and drop me after an aerial tour... mid level chest wound, prolly would have dies because there were other creatures where we landed. My first cast ever and it saved my bacon!

Rift yea!

Re: Time Stop (550) 09/19/2016 07:03 AM CDT
For the 410 effect via water lore, I'm guessing it doesn't actually work against anything that's immune to 410? Like say vvrael, rift crawlers, things that are already affected by e-wave?

It would be appreciated if there could be *at least* a minor 1 round rt effect against critters regardless of immunities since you're STOPPING TIME and not stopping the critter. The 50 water lore requirement is quite high and if you go for the 96/60/46 route for 202 lores then you'll never really hit that 50 water lore if you're trying to reach an ideal summation seed bonus.

The 50 water lores is an odd requirement since all the other summation seed bonuses for water lore is either 45/46 -> 54/55, putting 50 right in the middle of that range. In order to achieve that 50 bonus you'd have to lose out on a lot of bonuses you could have gotten from the 96 bonuses. It seems to be a rather cruel and unusual punishment for an effect that should already be part of the spell. Without this effect, it is the same as beseech/troubadour rally but with limited uses per day. Effectively this 410 effect could be replaced with a macro for "STOP TIME\r incant 410\r".
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 05:08 AM CDT
>Tapping into the lines of elemental energies traversing the world, you reach out and twist a few to your bidding. A golden hourglass materializes in front of you and you quickly turn it over, temporarily halting the flow of time in your immediate vicinity.
You stand up.
You are now in a defensive stance.
A sphere of dark ethereal ripples expands outward from you.
A huge steam elemental absorbs some of the energy of the ethereal waves.

So yeah, it does nothing against everything that is immune to 410. Please fix.
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 09:35 AM CDT
DRAFIX
So yeah, it does nothing against everything that is immune to 410. Please fix.

It still removed your roundtime, reduced negative spell effects on you, and stood you up. It did do something. It's not a bug that creatures that are immune to elemental wave are not affected by Time Stop's elemental wave.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 10:08 AM CDT
>It still removed your roundtime, reduced negative spell effects on you, and stood you up. It did do something. It's not a bug that creatures that are immune to elemental wave are not affected by Time Stop's elemental wave.

This is understandable, but where exactly is the part where time stops happening? Based on how the spell works, it seems that Time Acceleration would be a more accurate name.

What I was hoping for instead of just an e-wave was an actual time stop effect that stops critters in their tracks for however long, even if it's only for a handful of seconds.

~ Methais
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 10:38 AM CDT
Methais
This is understandable, but where exactly is the part where time stops happening? Based on how the spell works, it seems that Time Acceleration would be a more accurate name.

You stopped time for 60 seconds. For everyone else, it seems normal. For you, time went on, hince you got out of the roundtime, negative effects expired, and you stood up.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 10:51 AM CDT
Does it stand you up? I had that as part of my alias. stop time\rstance off\rstand\rstance def\r

So effectively, it's just beseech/troubadour rally but with limited uses per day for more mana. I'd rather it work unlimited times per day and not work in rt (which 535 takes care of already).
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 10:55 AM CDT
I have had this spell do basically nothing as I did stop time, then died to an attack instantly after using it in a swarm vs vvrael, cerebralites, elementals, etc.

If I truly had 60 seconds to recover, I wouldn't just spend 30 seconds of it on the ground in offensive. I'd use symbol of return or heal up or something instead of just instant dying.
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 11:09 AM CDT
DRAFIX
>Tapping into the lines of elemental energies traversing the world, you reach out and twist a few to your bidding. A golden hourglass materializes in front of you and you quickly turn it over, temporarily halting the flow of time in your immediate vicinity.
You stand up.
You are now in a defensive stance.
A sphere of dark ethereal ripples expands outward from you.
A huge steam elemental absorbs some of the energy of the ethereal waves.

DRAFIX
Does it stand you up? I had that as part of my alias. stop time\rstance off\rstand\rstance def\r

If you're not otherwise restricted (stunned, bound, etc), yes. It also moves you into defensive stance. Notice in your log how it has the messaging, you standing up, going into defensive, then the elemental wave. Player commands can't happen in between the first and last action, as the spell is executing then. That's all built in.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 12:06 PM CDT
550 has worked well for me, and I don't see issues with it for a pure wizard. It's balanced compared to how other pures' "save me" spells are allocated (350, 1150), and I appreciate that.

It stands you up, puts you in defensive, and generally gets you out of RT so you can run away in true emergencies. It's not meant to be used indiscriminately.
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 03:37 PM CDT
I'm also happy with where Time Stop has ended up. However, I would find something as little as a 5 second RT applied to everything in the room as a "time stop" for them, as a much better lore benefit then ewave. Ewave is just a dicey spell, with too many things immune, like elementals in the confluence, to ever be something you can really count on. A hard 5 second RT to everything in the room would be the time you need to collect yourself or scamper away depending on the situation. It would also be a lot more player friendly.

Isle Snack Muncher
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/03/2016 08:25 PM CDT
>> A hard 5 second RT to everything in the room would be the time you need to collect yourself or scamper away depending on the situation. It would also be a lot more player friendly.

This is the gist of what I was looking for in an earlier post as well. The time to collect your thoughts and contemplate your next action. This seems like something that should be inherent in a spell that lets you stop the world around you.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/04/2016 09:06 AM CDT

I just wish the spell would cancel an Air Griffin flight.

:D

Askip
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/04/2016 07:51 PM CDT
>I'd rather it work unlimited times per day and not work in rt (which 535 takes care of already).

Disagree strongly.

>However, I would find something as little as a 5 second RT applied to everything in the room as a "time stop" for them, as a much better lore benefit then ewave.

Same. I think 504 with lore benefits swapped to water lore would be my choice, actually.
Re: Time Stop (550) 10/05/2016 12:04 AM CDT
Definitely makes more sense than 410. At least 504 affects a lot more things than 410, cerebralites, elementals, rift crawlers comes to mind. However liches would ignore it but wouldn't ignore 410.
Prev_page Previous 1