Nervous Shock 05/27/2018 12:34 PM CDT
Can one die from nerve damage in the worst case?

If the spell 1150 was cast having just 1 mana, would the character die?
Re: Nervous Shock 05/27/2018 12:48 PM CDT
Yes, one can die from nervous shock.

I don't know of any player research that shares where shortages of mana increase the nerve critical threshold. But - rank 3 nerve crit is nearly always death in my experience.

On the other hand, I've never yet had a mana shortage cause more than a rank 1 crit by itself. Most of these spells are below 10th level, though.

So, in your specific question - I'd not risk it. But I have, and frequently do, overcast with lower order spells not worrying about death from nerve damage. As long as I do not already have rank 1 wounds.

Doug
Re: Nervous Shock 05/27/2018 12:49 PM CDT
<Can one die from nerve damage in the worst case?>

Yes, I don't know what the threshold is, but if you go far enough into the negative the nerve damage will kill you... or at least it used to, it's been a long time since went more then a few points into the negative.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Nervous Shock 05/27/2018 01:09 PM CDT
The maximum mana deficit you can have from a spell is -50 and it will cause a rank 3 nerve wound. It's never killed my bard before.

There are apparently some other means to lose your mana though.

Whether any of the below is the result of a defect somewhere, I can't really say; it's always worked like this for me.

>mana
Normal Enhanced
Maximum Mana Points: 304 304
Remaining Mana Points: 1

>song status
You are currently singing: Fortitude Song
Song of Luck
Kai's Triumph Song
Sonic Shield Song
Song of Valor
Sonic Weapon Song
Sonic Armor
Song of Power
Song of Mirrors

Your medley has recently renewed, and it will be quite some time before the effects fade. Your current renewal cost is 91 mana.
>

>renew all
You feel completely in touch with the flows of mana.
The mana around you continues to gracefully swirl and move.
The mirror images surrounding you undulate and grow stronger.
You have overextended yourself!
You sustain massive amounts of system shock!
Your songs renew.
>

>mana
Normal Enhanced
Maximum Mana Points: 304 304
Remaining Mana Points: -50
Re: Nervous Shock 05/27/2018 01:43 PM CDT
[Lingonberry Room]
You notice an oiled mahogany bookcase, a lingonberry arch, a heavy slate blackboard and a simple wooden wastebasket.
Obvious exits: none
>
[edited out totals and such]
>incant 520
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Mage Armor...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A layer of raw elemental energy forms around you.
The electrical field surrounding you pops and crackles as you augment it with more power.
You're in heavy shock!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>heal
You have a case of sporadic convulsions.
[rank 2 for 19 mana short]
[brief healing period edited out]
>info
[edited more private information out]
Mana: 1 Silver: 0
>incant 540
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Temporal Reversion...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
For a moment, everything you hear and see echoes weirdly around you, but then everything seems normal again. Your personal temporal reality has been slightly offset from the true flow of time.
>heal
You have a case of uncontrollable convulsions.
[rank 3 crit for 39 mana short]
[and healing down again]
[moving to a non-justice room for a 49 mana test]
[Icemule Trace, Forest]
Obvious paths: northeast, east
>
You feel more refreshed.
>
A rabid squirrel scampers in!
>infuse 41
You release 41 mana into the surrounding area.
>infuse 2
You release 2 mana into the surrounding area.
>
A rabid squirrel nips at you!
You evade the attack by a hair!
>stop time
Tapping into the lines of elemental energies traversing the world, you reach out and twist a few to your bidding. A golden hourglass materializes in front of you and you quickly turn it over, temporarily halting the flow of time in your immediate vicinity.
You are now in a defensive stance.
A sphere of snapping and crackling ethereal ripples expands outward from you.
A rabid squirrel is buffeted by the snapping and crackling ethereal sphere and is knocked to the ground.
... 50 points of damage!
Hideously bright electrical bolt sends left arm into another universe. Happy traveling.
The rabid squirrel chitters as it licks at its wounded left foreleg.
The rabid squirrel twitches its tail one last time and dies.
>
[moving back, healing down and recovering mana edited out]
[rank 3 nerve crit, still breathing. Stacking crits, though, will lead to death]

So, ok - can't cast without at least 1 mana, and I don't believe any profession has a spell over 50th level. So, what else should we test?

Doug
Re: Nervous Shock 05/27/2018 01:56 PM CDT

It’s been awhile but I’ve died from nerve damage as well. I think it required multiple nerve damage injuries. Perhaps have a rank 1 nerve injury, have a spell prepped, renew a col sign that takes you negative, then release prepped spell for yet another injury
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 09:44 AM CDT
>>So, ok - can't cast without at least 1 mana, and I don't believe any profession has a spell over 50th level. So, what else should we test?

Isn't the max cost for 520 higher when you have 0 lore for a particular element?

_ _ _
Myasara says, "Raining rocks down on my city was not the best course of action."
- - -
Nishima put a group of five partially frozen corpses in the Nishima disk.
Several frozen limbs peek out of the disk in a macabre fashion.
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 09:50 AM CDT

Can you do Core Tap with 1 mana?
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 11:03 AM CDT
>>Isn't the max cost for 520 higher when you have 0 lore for a particular element?

Hmm. . . but:

>>Can you do Core Tap with 1 mana?

That seems easier! Hopped over to the test server for this one - but assuming it works the same on both:

>stance off
incant 950 917 917 435 435 903
stance def
[113 mana expended normally for this character]
You are now in an offensive stance.
>You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Core Tap...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
[death and destruction ensues]
[Did not kill the character, rank 3]
>
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
>mana
Remaining Mana Points: -49
[Appears -49 may be the cap to mana loss]

Sadly, that's likely to be ruled a defect. No free ride blow-outs for the simple price of a couple thousand silver in healing for the mage!

Doug
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 11:55 AM CDT
Interesting. I'm quite certain you used to die from Nerve damage at some point, but not sure when it (apparently) changed.
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 03:42 PM CDT
Interesting. I'm quite certain you used to die from Nerve damage at some point, but not sure when it (apparently) changed.

You can die if you have Rank3 and go < -20 mana. The easiest way to get there is to use sign of thought. Other than that it's pretty difficult for non-empaths. You'd have to prep a spell, suffer a rank3, then lose 21+ mana. Getting hit with a lightning flare mid-cast has done it to me before. I believe some objects in game can do this as well, maybe the rift sphere?

For empaths, and to answer the original question, if you have a rank3 and 1 mana, and you cast 1150 - it depends. If you're not in cooldown, the regen will heal your nerves and you won't die. If you're in cooldown, you will die.

Not in cooldown
mana
Normal Enhanced
Maximum Mana Points: 67 67

Mana gained off node: 12 12
Mana gained on node: 18 18

Mana Control abilities:
MANA PULSE - Manually invoke a mana pulse to gain mana as if you were off a node.
MANA SPELLUP - Instantly cast all of your defensive spells.

You have used the MANA SPELLUP ability 0 out of 1 times for today.
G>prep 1150
You concentrate while murmuring the simple, mystical chant for Regeneration...
Your spell is ready.
G>cast
You gesture.
Points of silvery light begin to flicker around you. They grow in number, swirling into a bright flash as your injuries heal to scars, then gradually fade completely. Dimming slowly, the light settles into a shimmering silver cocoon that surrounds you.

In cooldown
G>prep 1150
You concentrate while murmuring the simple, mystical chant for Regeneration...
Your spell is ready.
G>cast
You gesture.
You gather your strength and attempt to mend your wounds, but you are far too exhausted for this arduous task.
Time until depart is 13 minutes.
You sense that your spirit has a slight attunement to the minds of others in the area, though it will quickly fade.
It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

Viduus
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 07:34 PM CDT
Ahh, clarity.

Need to find a WIKI home for this one.

Doug
Re: Nervous Shock 05/28/2018 10:30 PM CDT
So bards are safe ... unless we already are wounded! YAY!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Nervous Shock 05/29/2018 09:53 AM CDT
"So bards are safe" -- Luxelle

Just so long as you don't, you know: Unravel to >150% of your normal mana. <cough>
Re: Nervous Shock 05/29/2018 03:38 PM CDT
>Just so long as you don't, you know: Unravel to >150% of your normal mana. <cough>

Sounds like a data point that should go at the wiki :)

Honestly, I don't have time to unravel anything, it's kill fast or be killed fast in OTF.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Nervous Shock 05/29/2018 03:51 PM CDT
Sounds like the fifth--or fourth, if you don't count the sub [bullet point]--paragraph of the GSWiki article. :)
https://gswiki.play.net/Song_of_Unravelling_(1013)