Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/14/2016 09:05 PM CDT
Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the release of a new quest which will allow you to reset your character's elemental attunement. In order to start the quest, you will need to find a sparkling shard of reflective soulstone. A Wizard alchemist should be able to create one for you with the proper ingredients. GM Keios will be posting more on how that works. Now, on to the quest!

Once you've acquired a sparkling shard of reflective soulstone, you will need to bind it to your character. You can accomplish this by killing any elemental creature while wearing the shard. This step must be completed in order to make use of the sparkling shard of reflective soulstone. Next, you will need to seek out a point of elemental instability. It's important that the instability be the same elemental attunement as your character. On your first run through the quest, you won't need to collect elemental souls in order to enter, aside from that initial one to bind the soulstone. However, with each successful pass through the quest, the number of souls required for re-entry will increase illustrated by the formula below.

((# of successful quest runs * character's level * character's level) / 2) = number of souls

In order to make progress towards the required number of soul, you must kill elemental creatures within ten trainings of your character. You can check your progress by LOOKing at the shard, or by casting Elemental Detection at the shard.

Now, once you've found a point of elemental instability, make sure you are wearing the shard and simply PUSH the point of elemental instability WITH your shard. You will then be transported into the Elemental Confluence where you will face a powerful elemental. If you are victorious, your shard will shatter to dust and you will be awarded with the opportunity to ATTUNE to a new element. However, if you succumb to your foe or decide to retreat, a penalty will be deducted from your shard. The amount deducted is illustrated by the formula below.

(((# of successful quest runs * character's level * character's level) / 2) * 10%) = penalty

I hope everyone enjoys the new quest. Please let me know if you notice any issues or if you have any questions.

GameMaster Cyraex
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/14/2016 09:21 PM CDT
This sounds interesting. Thanks!

To clarify, is this a permanent increase for future entry into the Confluence via the regular soulstones as well or just for the shard for the purposes of the quest?

((# of successful quest runs * level * level) / 2) = number of souls
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/14/2016 09:33 PM CDT
DESTINY14
To clarify, is this a permanent increase for future entry into the Confluence via the regular soulstones as well or just for the shard for the purposes of the quest?

The permanent increase only applies to the shard for purpose of the quest, the normal Confluence soulstone is not affected.

GameMaster Cyraex
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/14/2016 10:11 PM CDT
This is a neat idea. First attune reset is basically free and then the cost starts rising dramatically for any subsequent ones. I like it.

Why are vaespilons always smiling? Because they know what's about to happen next...
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/14/2016 10:51 PM CDT
The alchemical formula for crafting a sparkling shard of elemental soulstone has been released. More detailed notes on the formula and its crafting requirements can be found here. https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Sparkling_shard_of_reflective_soulstone

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/15/2016 06:35 AM CDT
((# of successful quest runs * level * level) / 2) = number of souls

Is "level" the character's level?

First attempted entry using the shard for a level 100 character would be 0?
0 * 100 * 100/2=0

Second attempted entry using the shard for a level 100 character would be 5,000?
1 * 100 * 100/2=5000

Third and subsequent attempted entries using a shard for a level 100 character increase by 5,000 per entry?
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/15/2016 06:47 AM CDT
KARDIOS
Is "level" the character's level?

Yes, level is intended to be character's level. I have updated my original post to be more clear.

KARDIOS
First attempted entry using the shard for a level 100 character would be 0?
0 * 100 * 100/2=0
Second attempted entry using the shard for a level 100 character would be 5,000?
1 * 100 * 100/2=5000
Third and subsequent attempted entries using a shard for a level 100 character increase by 5,000 per entry?

Yes, your understanding of the formula is accurate for level 100 character

GameMaster Cyraex
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/15/2016 07:21 AM CDT
Simply reading this post as someone who has vaguely wanted an elemental reset for years, it looks pretty awesome. A sort of freebie (yuck except that soulstone in the recipe) and then a pretty big whammy after that. I think this was worth the wait. It has all the angles covered nicely: mechanics, flavor, difficulty.

>Now, once you've found a point of elemental instability, make sure you are wearing the shard and simply PUSH the point of elemental instability WITH your shard. You will then be transported into the Elemental Confluence where you will face a powerful elemental. If you are victorious, your shard will shatter to dust and you will be awarded with the opportunity to ATTUNE to a new element.

Can I ask for clarification here? My intuition is we are not really transported into the Elemental Confluence. Otherwise "level" in the formulation doesn't really make any sense, nor does the implied fine-tuned creature level of the powerful elemental, because one cannot enter the Confluence normally until level 80. So this is a special kind of instance of the Confluence with one room and a nasty creature that shows up? Or we can expect other elementals to start wandering in, have to find the tranquility to get out, and all the normal kinds of things.

I understand some things are intentionally left for player exploration, but I think knowing if we go into the "normal" Elemental Confluence or a kind of specialized one is a legitimate question.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/15/2016 08:28 AM CDT
DAID
Can I ask for clarification here? My intuition is we are not really transported into the Elemental Confluence. Otherwise "level" in the formulation doesn't really make any sense, nor does the implied fine-tuned creature level of the powerful elemental, because one cannot enter the Confluence normally until level 80. So this is a special kind of instance of the Confluence with one room and a nasty creature that shows up? Or we can expect other elementals to start wandering in, have to find the tranquility to get out, and all the normal kinds of things.

You will be transported to a special instance room within the Confluence, there is no level requirement to enter. The powerful elemental you face will be catered to your character's level and no other elemental creatures will wander into the room. There is a a tranquility within the room if you choose to retreat from combat, just be aware that the penalty in my original post will apply.

GameMaster Cyraex
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/15/2016 11:12 AM CDT
Thanks Cyraex. It's designed exactly like I imagined it is.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 11:39 AM CDT
The ingredients are really pretty basic for this. Provide me with the soulstone and I'll make you one for free.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Raggler squeakily says, "Muffins are also known to be one of the most healthiest foods in the world."

Raggler squeakily says, "It's a fact."
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 12:03 PM CDT
Why link this quest to alchemy, and link it to someone else at a higher level having to do the quest for me since i am no where near 100? I hate how I am forced to spend money to learn alchemy or to hire someone to do a quest for me. I thank you for the ability to change attunement, but it just irritates me to no end that I can't do this by myself and will have to spend anywhere in the are of 200,000+ or more as these soulstones become scarce to do something so critical for my character.

I deleted my original rant, since it was focused more on the economy and not how I am forced to hire a sorcerer to make a soulstone for me, a higher level wizard to make the key to get into the confluence for me. Very frustrating!
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 12:38 PM CDT
<<Why link this quest to alchemy, and link it to someone else at a higher level having to do the quest for me since i am no where near 100? I hate how I am forced to spend money to learn alchemy or to hire someone to do a quest for me. I thank you for the ability to change attunement, but it just irritates me to no end that I can't do this by myself and will have to spend anywhere in the are of 200,000+ or more as these soulstones become scarce to do something so critical for my character.

I'm confused on why the thought that you need to be close to level 100 to do the quest? It's not entering the actual Confluence area but a special "quest" room instead. So the normal minimum level 80 requirement doesn't apply. So far I've seen quite a few characters less than level 20 reset their attunement.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 12:38 PM CDT
Can the key only be made with "elemental soulstone" or can it be made with a "gleaming multicolored soulstone"? I can't find anyone selling "elemental soulstones".
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 12:44 PM CDT
>Can the key only be made with "elemental soulstone" or can it be made with a "gleaming multicolored soulstone"? I can't find anyone selling "elemental soulstones".

they are interchangeable.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 12:56 PM CDT
My ignorance of alchemy, Aulis is driving most of my aggravation. Looking at the ingredients to make this is intimidating. I guess I wanted a personal quest and not being forced to buy stuff. Anyway thank you for the change, I will figure this all out, and switch to my dream spec soon enough.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 05:18 PM CDT
<<My ignorance of alchemy, Aulis is driving most of my aggravation. Looking at the ingredients to make this is intimidating. I guess I wanted a personal quest and not being forced to buy stuff. Anyway thank you for the change, I will figure this all out, and switch to my dream spec soon enough.

I'm just saying it isn't as bad as what it seems. It's only been out for a day or two. With the amount of people in Prime I would think that acquiring the ingredients would be fairly easy.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/16/2016 05:29 PM CDT
>but it just irritates me to no end that I can't do this by myself and will have to spend anywhere in the are of 200,000

If you can't afford 200k or whatever it ends up costing, hit me up and I'll throw you the cash for it.

~ Methais

Reading the wizard nerfs:
http://i.imgur.com/hNaDm98.gif
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/17/2016 03:04 AM CDT
So, random request. Is there any chance we could have successful runs fall off of the formula after a couple of years (down to a minimum of 1)?

The system, as designed, is infinitely more forgiving than what we had which I deeply appreciate. I also like how it ties into the confluence and the manner that it comes together. Abstractly I even like how it reinforces the fact that choices in GS have long term consequences which add weight and depth to characters.

All that said, there are characters with decades of history. There's a lot to be said for that kind of longevity, and the want to be able to play around with different options over such a long time span. I would hate to see someone paint themselves into a corner in the sense the new system amounted to nearly the same thing as the old.

Taluric, player of.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/17/2016 10:23 PM CDT
Taluric, player of
So, random request. Is there any chance we could have successful runs fall off of the formula after a couple of years (down to a minimum of 1)?

It's unlikely we'd implement a time forgiveness component. Attunement, like converting to a deity, is an integral part of your character and is intended to have a lasting and meaningful impact. However, it's likely you'll be able to buy precharged reflective soulstones from the SimuCoin Store in the future.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 04/20/2016 09:59 PM CDT
You will be transported to a special instance room within the Confluence, there is no level requirement to enter. The powerful elemental you face will be catered to your character's level and no other elemental creatures will wander into the room. There is a a tranquility within the room if you choose to retreat from combat, just be aware that the penalty in my original post will apply.>>

Neat use of the quest design to spawn an instance critter.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/16/2016 02:00 PM CDT
Is that 5000 souls = 50 level 100 souls or 5000 level 1 souls? Or do you mean 5000 level 100 souls, because if it's 5000 level 100 souls that could take like 1-2 months. lol
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 06:23 AM CDT
>Is that 5000 souls = 50 level 100 souls or 5000 level 1 souls? Or do you mean 5000 level 100 souls, because if it's 5000 level 100 souls that could take like 1-2 months.

My understanding for a level 100 character is 5000 like-level kills. And months sounds right. Might be harsh but I got the impression it was supposed to be.

50 souls would take under an hour, so ...

In any case, since the formula depends on the square of the level of the character, it's probably best not to think about it in terms of the number of souls like the Confluence soulstone (which depends on the level of the creature and in a different way).

One hopes that the shard and regular soulstones can collect souls at the same time, or it's particularly nasty :(
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 01:05 PM CDT

Thanks, but can anyone actually confirm the speculations?
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 01:17 PM CDT

If you've never done the quest before, you need to kill 1 elemental while wearing the shard to bind the shard.

for the additional reset after, yes, it's 5000 (unless Cyraex posted the wrong formula)

It's a quest, not an errand.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 01:20 PM CDT
Drafix
Thanks, but can anyone actually confirm the speculations?

Not sure I follow. The exact formula and specifics for it were in the original post and available on the wiki.

https://gswiki.play.net/Attunement_reset

GameMaster Cyraex
((# of successful quest runs * character's level * character's level) / 2) = number of souls
In order to make progress towards the required number of soul, you must kill elemental creatures within ten trainings of your character.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 07:48 PM CDT
>Not sure I follow. The exact formula and specifics for it were in the original post and available on the wiki.

The question is, "What constitutes 1 soul?"

I've never done the confluence, but https://gswiki.play.net/Elemental_Confluence implies that 1 soul = 100 levels of elemental kills.

So the 5000 souls required for a second attunement reset would be 5000 capped elementals. That honestly seems barely reasonable to me if you want to make it doable but a major undertaking. Around 200 TPs.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 08:21 PM CDT
>>The question is, "What constitutes 1 soul?"

So what I am missing?

>>you must kill elemental creatures within ten trainings of your character.

There must be something. . .

Doug
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 08:46 PM CDT
The question is how many like-level creatures must you kill, or does the level not matter as long as you can learn from it?
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/17/2016 08:50 PM CDT

I think it is implied that [In order to make progress towards the required number of soul, you must kill elemental creatures within ten trainings of your character.] 5000 souls means 5000 like-level rather than 50 high level souls.
But once again it is implied rather than explicitly said, which is mainly what I am asking to confirm, if that clarifies anything in my inquiry.
Re: Elemental Attunement Reset Quest 10/18/2016 07:49 AM CDT
DRAFIX
I think it is implied that [In order to make progress towards the required number of soul, you must kill elemental creatures within ten trainings of your character.] 5000 souls means 5000 like-level rather than 50 high level souls. But once again it is implied rather than explicitly said, which is mainly what I am asking to confirm, if that clarifies anything in my inquiry.

Yes, this is pretty much how it works. A creature of equal level would be worth one soul, anything less than equal would decrease by one tenth per level.

(1 - (.1 * level difference)) = Amount of Soul Earned

For example, if your level 100 character killed a level 95 elemental creature, it would only be worth half of a soul. There is no bonus for killing a creature that's a higher level than your character, you would just receive the one soul.

GameMaster Cyraex