Why I don't use balls 10/11/2015 11:19 PM CDT

You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Balefire...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a monastic lich.
You hurl a ball of greenish-black flame at a monastic lich!
AS: +274 vs DS: +188 with AvD: +65 + d100 roll: +8 = +159
... and hit for 37 points of damage!
Muscle blasted away from the monastic lich's arm exposing scorched bone!
The monastic lich is stunned!
A bi-taloned dark grey grik'pwal shudders slightly as chaotic energy is drawn from its form and fused with the attack.
(Your dark grey grik'pwal loses 2 mana.)
... 18 points of damage!
The ball of greenish-black flame strikes a monastic lich, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 3 points of damage!
Burst of brilliant energy to head stuns the monastic lich for an instant.
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Balefire...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a monastic lich.
You hurl a ball of greenish-black flame at a monastic lich!
AS: +274 vs DS: +131 with AvD: +65 + d100 roll: +89 = +297
... and hit for 111 points of damage!
Fiery blast of plasma blows the monastic lich's leg into a bloody spray!
The monastic lich is stunned!
A bi-taloned dark grey grik'pwal shudders slightly, but nothing further happens.
The ball of greenish-black flame strikes a monastic lich, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 7 points of damage!
Plasma scorches a hole in the monastic lich's weapon arm!
The monastic lich seems to collapse in upon himself, leaving only a withered husk.
A white glow rushes away from a monastic lich.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding a monastic lich suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The dim aura fades from around a monastic lich.
The shimmering multicolored sphere fades from around a monastic lich.
The light blue glow leaves a monastic lich.
A monastic lich appears less confident.
A burst of flame from your ball of greenish-black flame flies off and hits a spectral monk.
... 10 points of damage!
Large gash to the left arm seals as strike passes through.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

My sorc doesn't have a lot of choice (I use gold wands when bolting because 713 is so expensive) but this illustrates why I rarely, if every, use ball spells on my wizard. The flares are poop. I'll occasionally use major fire on trolls, but that's about it. The times when there's enough targets a ball might outperform it's minor version, you're probably better off using ewave+cone and doing some real damage.

The flare damage doesn't warrant the cost. Can we get the DFs to match their minor cousins?
Or preferably get the flaring part up to spec. (or even more preferably, both ;D )
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 12:10 AM CDT
So, your sorcerer never uses his ... never mind. Not gonna go there.
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 12:20 AM CDT
My sorc doesn't have a lot of choice (I use gold wands when bolting because 713 is so expensive)

I'd suggest some (20) ranks of necro lore and try the 705 bolt version. I've been having great success with it.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 01:48 AM CDT

I'd suggest some (20) ranks of necro lore and try the 705 bolt version. I've been having great success with it.
-Taakhooshi, and Me

I played with it a bit during my first month, and it's definitely a cool addition. But that helps buttress my original point: bolts are better than balls ;D

(I'm looking forward to unlocking it but the phasing isn't as easily replaced with wands so I opted for demonology first)
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 01:49 AM CDT
>So, your sorcerer never uses his ... never mind. Not gonna go there.

Nope, you misread. My sorcerer is PURE BALLS. :D
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 04:31 AM CDT
I agree sometimes the splashes can be weak. Then again, when I hunt with a partner that can get hit by ball spells and they splash to me, it can be pretty nasty.

I've found Fire Spirit in troll warcamps, particularly with a partner, to be devastating.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 06:01 AM CDT
What is your level in comparison to theirs? I think that's the primary factor for ball bolt damage. It can be very useful for crowd control by wiping out or seriously injuring lower level targets in the room as you concentrate on the more dangerous ones.
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/12/2015 01:45 PM CDT

Interesting, I hadn't realized it was level-based. I was up-hunting slightly (within 5 levels). That's usually when I need to bolt because I find trying to up-hunt with CS extremely frustrating.

I mention trolls in my original post. The reason it's good vs them is because the second flare is actually a good one capable of killing/critting etc..
If the ball effect created flares like this (roughly equivalent to weapon flares I believe) then I wouldn't be posting this complaint in the first place.

But having repeated instances of 3-7 damage? Blech that's not worth ANY mana let alone a 50% increase AND a reduction in DF.
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/13/2015 12:07 AM CDT
I should note, if a herald hits a ball-splash on my paladin, level differential is about 6 in the herald's favor. It can be ugly.

If my sorcerer is camping with my warrior friend, he is capped by my sorcerer is early 90s. Thus the level-differential for warcamp splashes onto my sorcerer could be 7+.

It sounds about right from my experience being hit with it. And I can agree as the caster, during invasions with very high-level stuff (and my sorcerer in the 80s -- the last time I did much invasion stuff), the splashes were quite weak.

So, I don't know for sure the level-based factor is there, but it seems believable.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Why I don't use balls 10/13/2015 10:12 AM CDT
Its level vs. level. Use balls for knocking out 3 critters 5 levels under you with a single shot rather than for an extra damage boost on a single critter 5 levels over you. Critter padding and resistance/vulnerability can also be highly significant on particular critters but balls are for mass attack on lots of low level critters rather than a damage boost on a single tough target.