Elemental Lore Spreadsheet 09/18/2015 01:34 PM CDT
If you want an easy way to check what kind of spell benefits you will glean from your wonderful Elemental Lores - check out the spreadsheet (some functions/equations do not work in Excel 2003. I know things work fine in 2010 and newer - I haven't tested it in 2007).

I have Wizard Spells and Major Elemental spells on the sheet. I'm sure I've missed one or two spells that benefit from Elemental Lores - if I have, please let me know so I can get them added in.

If any results are wrong, let me know so I can adjust them.

I'm going to work on Minor Elemental spells next. If you have any other spells that are outside of Wizard, MjE and MnE spells that benefit from Elemental Lores, please let me know so I can work on adding them as well.

If you have questions/suggestions/corrections, post them here or you can always send them to drumpel@play.net.

You can find the current version of the spreadsheet here:
http://www.filedropper.com/elchartv391815

Any and all help is always greatly appreciated.

-Drumpel
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet 09/20/2015 10:38 AM CDT

Thanks Drumpel, very handy spreadsheet. I Will definitely be using it to decide how to adjust my lore.

Also as an FYI, for those with out Excel it converts to a Google Sheet with no issues(that I noticed).
Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/21/2015 01:14 PM CDT
I've added in Minor Elemental spells now. I've also included 920 - Call Familiar (no one mentioned that I missed it or no one cares enough to download and test the spreadsheet out...aside from Stormtov that commented earlier).

A few benefits from the lores, they're not greatly specified on how the calculations actually work, so I set them up as best as I could.

Right now, the spreadsheet should have all Wizard, MjE and MnE spells listed that lores add benefits to.

Here are a few notes about some spells and how they are setup
The sheet is pretty easy to follow. The first worksheet will calculate the benefits based on the ranks you enter for each element.
Spell 502, you need to choose what element you're attuned to if you wish to see the DS push down associated with your available lore ranks.
Spell 519, in the 3rd column of benefits for it, you can enter in your end-roll and it will show you the reduced chance for an instant kill based on your fire lore.
Spell 912, call wind doesn't seem to follow the summation chart so the benefit on it is estimated and should provide a very close return result compared to how it works in game.

The second worksheet will automatically update the adjusted DF for any bolt spells, based off your lore ranks.

The third worksheet is simply a copy of the summation chart you can find on the gswiki - it's just there for reference.

If anyone sees any issues, please let me know. If you have any suggestions to improve the layout/looks, please let me know. Also, if I missed any spells, list them off for me so I can get them added on.

Clearly 506 (Haste) is subject to change and current changes to 519 (Immolation)/909 (Tremors) have not been implemented yet, but you can still see what kind of return results you get from lores.
I have not added 925 since it's still under construction.

You can find the most recent update here:
http://www.filedropper.com/elchartv392115

So, there you have it. Test it out. Let me know of any issues/suggestions.

One last note: The worksheets are protected, but not by password. If by some chance you want to change things around or wish to see the equations used, feel free to unlock the worksheets.

Thanks.
-Drumpel
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/21/2015 01:34 PM CDT

>(no one mentioned that I missed it or no one cares enough to download and test the spreadsheet out...aside from Stormtov that commented earlier)

I strongly suggest making a thread on the PC for this, it will reach a lot more people and it is much easier to find posts there after reading them. It's certainly not that no one cares, but 3 days over a weekend is not enough time for many people to fully look at anything.
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/21/2015 02:17 PM CDT
>I strongly suggest making a thread on the PC for this, it will reach a lot more people and it is much easier to find posts there after reading them. It's certainly not that no one cares, but 3 days over a weekend is not enough time for many people to fully look at anything.

It was meant in jest. I didn't mean to imply that no one cared. I'm sure folks have looked, used and/or tested. I don't expect any kind of immediate feedback.

I don't frequent the PC really, but perhaps I'll take you up on it and post this over there as well when I get a chance.

Thanks.
-Drumpel
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/21/2015 05:58 PM CDT
>>(no one mentioned that I missed it or no one cares enough to download and test the spreadsheet out...aside from Stormtov that commented earlier).

I haven't had an opportunity (yet!) to pull this in and look it over, but from the traffic I've seen this is going to be a great addition, Drumpel!

I'd second posting it to the PC, for one reason - there are a couple of active(?) projects there that I've heard about that you and the others might want to consider consolidating / collaborating on. Vanessa's right in that we suffer a bit here from 'researchable' forum mechanisms, so two snaps there. I would just ask we also keep it noted here - there are some key players who don't use the PC for various reasons - I'd hate to see them cut out of the loop.

Alternatively, this probably will deserve a special 'Hall of Worthy' mention on the GSWiki, and that tool likewise has better collaboration features. If I get a chance ahead of others, after my review I might make a home for it there. I'm a bit bogged down, though - so it might be a while before I tend to that.

Appreciate everything you've done!

Doug
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/21/2015 10:03 PM CDT

I use open office so the excel scripts don't work for me :(
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/21/2015 11:26 PM CDT
>>I use open office so the excel scripts don't work for me :(

It was mentioned that moving the info over to Google Spreadsheet works. It would take some time to to copy things over and adjust the layout to match or to fit your own needs. I haven't used google spreadsheet much and I don't know the ins/outs on it like I can do in Excel, else I would copy things over.

-Drumpel
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/22/2015 06:43 AM CDT
I use open office so the excel scripts don't work for me :(
-KEITHOBAD

While I have not had time to play with the sheet much all the functionality (bar 1 thing I will get to) came across with no issues when converting to Google. This does require a Google account which is free. I have my copy here that you can make a copy of (File, make a copy).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dXz3ygqubmPyEz1g7foFDoAcoNsxjrwg8EE5J8tbCEY/edit#gid=89525340

That is my live version but seeing as there is only 5 fields that you need to change it is not going to take long to modify, I did also shrink a few columns and turn on text wrapping to better fit my small screen.

The one bit that I noticed was not working was the hyperlinking to jump around the document, for some reason Google sheets does not do this with out the use of scripts which is much more ugly. I have played around with doing this (that is the big red "GO!" you might see) but for this to work you need edit access (so will not work till you make a copy) and also there is a nice ugly warning the first time you click on it. Accept/deny as you wish, but all it does is mimic the hyperlinks (and own your soul if you believe in such a thing).

Finally here is just a straight convert of the wonderful original works. Again just file, make a copy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QwNnRGZvuVAK3W_NCvrxIedvDiDc5wQjbTdmInHNmRc/edit?usp=sharing
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 09/22/2015 01:21 PM CDT

The google version worked well, Thank you.
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 12:45 PM CDT
I've added/fixed a lot and the spreadsheet should be complete (until the GMs release new/updated spells or just overall change things...they like to do that to us).

You can find the updated file here:
http://www.filedropper.com/elchartv592815

A few additions are how a few spells utilize information to give you a final result (see table below). I've made notes on a few spells that you can see on worksheet one. I've also added 4 additional work sheets, they have their individual lore and the spells they benefit (one worksheet just shows benefits from Fire Lore. This way you don't have to scroll all over looking for the changes). You must still enter in your ranks and other information on the first worksheet, the results will carry over to the individual lore worksheets.

Spell Necessary extra information steps required
502 On worksheet 1 at the top, pick the attuned element you use so it will display the DS push down
520 On worksheet 1 at the top, enter your number of MjE Spell Ranks
514 On worksheet 1 at the top, enter your current level
413 On worksheet 1 at the top, enter your elemental mana control ranks
519 On worksheet 1, in the 3rd benefit column of the spell (cell F80), enter your CS endroll to see your % chance to incinerate your target (cell G80). If the endroll is under 100, you missed your target. If the endroll is over 150, no penalty is applied

I think that covers everything. If you find something isn't adding up correctly or a spell needs to be added or is confusing, please let me know.

Enjoy!

-Drumpel
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 01:26 PM CDT
I'm liking this. Thanks!

When it gets 'final', we'll put a summary on the wiki and put the file (or a link) there, as well.

Doug
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 01:30 PM CDT

>When it gets 'final', we'll put a summary on the wiki and put the file (or a link) there, as well.

there is already a link to the thread on the Elemental Lore page.
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 01:42 PM CDT
Awesome (of course!), but later (months / years) we'll want to be sure we can tap the file directly. That may call for a slight modification, when the turbulence is over.

Doug
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 01:52 PM CDT

>Awesome (of course!), but later (months / years) we'll want to be sure we can tap the file directly. That may call for a slight modification, when the turbulence is over.

it is linked to the PC thread. This should not be an issue.
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 01:59 PM CDT
>>it is linked to the PC thread

And you believe this a 'proper' course to expose potential new players to? I'll take the wiki action, as I stated. We can have it in a few locations, but the formal library is the best place long term.

Doug
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 02:00 PM CDT

>And you believe this a 'proper' course to expose potential new players to?

Seriously, Doug?
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 02:02 PM CDT
Yes, seriously. Share for the class why it should not be on the wiki, perhaps?

Drop me a note to discuss, but we're done here.

Doug
Re: Elemental Lore Spreadsheet - Update 9/28/15 09/28/2015 02:04 PM CDT

In further response, the GSIV Reddit links to the PC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GemstoneIV/

Whatever your bias is should not reflect on the Wiki. Many pages link to helpful threads on the PC. People should read instructions in the first post of that thread before downloading.