Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/04/2017 06:48 AM CDT
Hey folks, I'm looking to get some opinions or insight from others regarding the Goddess Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection for my Lorminstra worshipping cleric.

I'll be reposting information as found on the GSIV Wiki to discuss my take on what the lore means and hopefully hear from others as well to gain some greater insight.

Lorminstra
Lorminstra is the Goddess of Death and Rebirth. She is the eldest offspring of Koar and Lumnis.
Lorminstra is also the Goddess of Winter, that annual "death" of nature which parallels the death and rebirth of souls. Lorminstra is also the Keeper of the Ebon Gate. It is her decision whether a soul is allowed to return to Elanthia each time an appeal is made via a ritual of resurrection, and even Koar will not gainsay her decision.
Lorminstra regards Luukos' enslavement of souls to animate his undead as abominable. She supports her brother, Ronan, in his struggle against Luukos' minions, and also petitions Koar frequently to take direct measures to curb Luukos' activities.
Lorminstra's preferred humanoid manifestation is that of a thin woman with black hair and pale alabaster skin. She wears two layers of robes, black over white, and at her side dangles a ring of keys, one for every soul. In manner, she is somber yet caring. Her symbol is a golden key, or a golden key set upon a gate of black.

The main point I'd like some clarification on is the claim that "It is her decision whether a soul is allowed to return to Elanthia each time an appeal is made via a ritual of resurrection, and even Koar will not gainsay her decision."

How does this mesh with clerics belonging to the Pantheon of Lornon or clerics that pray to a different Arkati when resurrecting an adventurer?

*Ebon Gate*
The Ebon Gate is the gateway through which the souls are said to pass through when they have died their final death on Elanthia. Lorminstra, the Goddess of Winter and Rebirth, watches over the Ebon Gate and decides which souls may return to the mortal realm through resurrection, and which pass through the gate forever. Gosaena, the Goddess of Death and Eternity, resides on the other side. It is not known what fate awaits souls beyond the Ebon Gate. It unclear where the Ebon Gate is currently located in the world system, though the Koargard religion seemingly associates it with Mount Aenatumgana.
In the archaic lore it was called the Gates of Oblivion, located on the moon Orhan (Liabo), where the other side of the portal was called Purgatory. It was essentially a form of limbo with souls floating in a timeless nothingness waiting for their fates. The ultimate fate in the death mechanics (except in rare circumstances) until the implementation of GemStone IV was to lose all identity and memory in Oblivion. In the Half-Krolvin religion for the contemporary lore, Oblivion is replaced with the word Krefka, and the similar concept is used of the end of suffering in the annihilation of identity and the soul itself.

Based on the lore I've read, I view the Ebon Gate as being similar to the river Lethe in Greek Mythology. When beings pass through the Ebon Gate they are stripped of their identity (deeds) and essentially become neutral. This makes sense to me as Gosaena governs the realm or plane of existence beyond the Ebon Gate.

Luukos
Luukos is able to claim the souls not only of those he takes by force through his undead minions, but also of those who have sullied themselves in life. Thus, Luukos is also the Lord of Lies, and his minions always seek to spread misinformation among mortals. Legend holds that Luukos can snatch the soul of one who has died with a lie on their lips even from Lorminstra, and that the only way to be free from his hideous jaws is to renounce the lie.

I don't see Lorminstra as being concerned with the physical bodies, but merely the soul. She's not going to concern herself with the rights or wrongs of the various races and focuses upon those acts that she believes corrupt the soul. Examples might include the practice of demonology, necromancy, and abilities (COL Signs) or rituals that pervert a soul's essence. As far as lies are concerned, I think this is an example of how a person generally lives their life. Someone that knowingly lies for greed and malice versus someone that honestly believes a falsehood or tells a falsehood to spare someone pain.

Again, I'm looking for other's opinions and looking to have an open discussion. Thanks for taking the time.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/04/2017 02:20 PM CDT
(Disclaimer: These are opinions and some reading-between-the-lines, don't take them as accepted lore.)

Lorminstra still holds absolute authority over who will pass through the Ebon Gate. She has, more recently, permitted the power of resurrection to be used by other gods, and their clerics through them. It is even possible for "non-aligned" clerics to do so (although the visuals of the non-aligned spell are so obviously Lorminstra that one would have to be in willful denial to believe some other power is involved).

The legend about Luukos taking the souls of liars is only that, a legend. There is a kernel of truth to it: it is possible for a soul to be bound, either willingly or by force, thereby not going to the Ebon Gate until they are released. To do so willingly requires a level of dedication that goes far beyond mere worship, though it's relatively common among followers of Luukos (and they can forcefully bind the less willing among them) -- possibly because they believe their souls are so corrupt through lies and evil deeds that they prefer this fate to complete annihilation (see below). Other gods do this too but usually with Lorminstra's permission and with an agreement to release the soul once the reason for keeping it has been fulfilled.

Finally, it is possible to a soul to be destroyed entirely. This is likely what is implied by Luukos using souls for "sustenance", and it is also described in older Lorminstra lore:

https://gswiki.play.net/Flows_of_essence#River_of_Life
The "Enchanted River" was the flows of essence between Shadow World and Orhan (Liabo) in the I.C.E. Age history. In the archaic form of the Lorminstra religion, souls were swept along this current to the Spring of Youth, which is symbolized by the soul cleansing pool at the Voln Monastery. The enchanted waters were a gift from the death goddess. Souls would be cleansed before passing through the Gates of Oblivion, or were utterly destroyed in the Staff of Doom if they were irredeemably corrupt. The Order of Voln neglects to mention the second possible fate when teaching their members on the Path to Enlightenment.

The Council of Light is affiliated with the Unlife, whose aim is to unmake all of creation, including the destruction of souls.

There was also some lore given when Death's Sting was introduced, describing how Lorminstra's power developed over time.

https://gswiki.play.net/Journal_27

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Dateline: Day 5th of Eoantos, 5104: Wehnimer's Landing
A great earthquake shook all of Elanith a few days ago and what happened next shocked everyone everywhere. A massive shadowy dragon erupted out of a mountain peak in the DragonSpine Mountains and took flight, passing over most of the major cities. It soon disappeared for a period of time until it was once again discovered flying along the Western Coast of Elanith.
No one would fully realize the reason behind this dragon's appearance until a Priestess of Lorminstra came forward with a story:
"Long ago, each of the Arkati was given a task in healing the land and restoring things to how they were before the Great War. The Arkati's powers were still developing. When Lorminstra would return a worthy soul back from the brink of the Ebon Gate, she would not fully heal them, both body and soul. As she learned to harness the full potential of their powers, she then would extend gifts of healing those worthy in full for their devotion of her deeds."
"Kor'thriss, the shadowy dragon everyone saw this evening, is the guardian of the world. It is his task to collect the excess essence that lingers behind whenever someone dies without being fully healed. This essence takes the shape of a wisp. If it remains, it would have a dire effect on the mana flows of Elanthia. Kor'thriss collects and distributes the energy to new life. When the Lady Lorminstra learned to fully heal the worthy and the essence ceased to linger, she asked Lord Koar to put Kor'thriss back to slumber in the center of the world, and there he remained until now."
"Kor'thriss's awakening has signaled to us that the Cycle of Life has turned once more, although we do not fully understand why. Things will return to how they were. Some among the clergy say it is because Lady Lorminstra wishes to teach us a lesson in the value of life. Others say that she wishes to punish us, to harden our spirits to prepare for the Oblivion should our time come."
Shortly after the Priestess of Lorminstra told the story, everyone felt a faint presence pass over their body, and a soft sigh in their ear. A somber voice spoke gently, "Fear not, Children of Elanitha. A new dawn is rising upon the horizon of your lives as the Cycle of Life now has come full turn." And then a soft white glow surrounded everyone, and coalesced into small orbs that spiraled off towards the heavens.
What happens now... one cannot say for certain. An era of change has passed over the faithful inhabitants of Elanthia, and we will just have to see how it plays out. But for now, be safe.
~ A Journalist

Re: Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/05/2017 01:21 AM CDT
<<When beings pass through the Ebon Gate they are stripped of their identity (deeds) and essentially become neutral. This makes sense to me as Gosaena governs the realm or plane of existence beyond the Ebon Gate.>>

The reason that part of the Wiki article says that is because it is what happened when you decayed without having any deeds. (It happens to be older than the Gosaena lore entirely.) That was still the case for a handful of years after the current form of the gods document was written. But you can't "go demonic" anymore, so, who knows?

In time your soul finds a home, be it in the light or the darkness, but not again in the mortal world.
As the last memories of your existence fade, an image of the Goddess Lorminstra, who guards the Gates
of Oblivion, tempts your hindsight.
[Purgatory]
It appears that your mortal life has ended once and for all, and that Lorminstra shall be embracing you
shortly. This Purgatory is here to provide you with information about what to expect as you move on to
the next stage of your existence. Before you is The Afterlife. You will need to enter it in order to
create a new character for yourself. --->
You can LOOK AT THE AFTERLIFE to get information about what to expect now that your character has died
permanently. When you are ready, simply RETIRE.
Obvious exits: none.

This idea of lost memories was also represented in the messaging when you decayed and were resurrected. The wording is almost the same now, but it cut the line about your memories coming back. Purgatory and Oblivion are gone. The messaging seems to be heavily based on a handful of H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamland stories:

Suddenly you feel an intense pain scorching your very soul! The world of your past suddenly comes rushing
back into your memory. You are quite bewildered by what has transpired, but alive...

The basic problem is that all of the various things and documents about this stuff come from different points in OOC history. They will have had contexts in a given time that are lost when you mix them all together, or were vestigial and got retconned like deeds. The religious lore is also horribly inconsistent if you really start pressing it.

<<The main point I'd like some clarification on is the claim that "It is her decision whether a soul is allowed to return to Elanthia each time an appeal is made via a ritual of resurrection, and even Koar will not gainsay her decision.">>

This line goes back to the most original form of her documentation: "Eissa is the deity appealed to when a religious 'Lifegiving' is administered." Originally, the idea was that she would refuse if the person had lived long enough or died in a significant way (I think deeds were originally a loophole for this), and her big hang-up was soul annihilation rather than the undead. For what it is worth, it is still possible through an obscure mechanic to sacrifice your soul to Luukos, where your spirit goes to an icy cavern below Lornon.

It is very old. He does not resemble his current "preferred humanoid manifestation", he is depicted having a lizard head. He feeds on your soul and you get dropped back out through a black vortex. But you can still do it. I do not know what the messaging was if you went "demonic" that way.

DEAD>
Slowly the world begins to dissolve in a vortex of utter blackness...
[Lornon]
You find yourself in a barren cavern of black ice, totally alien to your sensibilities. There
are no exits in the seamless dark walls, and you wonder what forces have brought you here...
The Dark God Luukos appears before you in a sudden flash of stinking brimstone. Your eyes follow
his tall, muscular form up to his lizardlike head, and meeting his cold, slitted eyes you begin
to fear for your very soul.
Luukos looks at you with displeasure. "You seek to honor me with a sacrifice?", he hisses angrily.
"Perhaps if you were not so weakened from such a recent death, you would present a more appetizing
picture." Luukos reaches into your soul and tears it out by the roots, flinging you away from himself
when he is finished consuming it. To your surprise, you find yourself with a tenuous grasp on the
universe, and your sole thought as you fall seemingly forever is that of amazement that you still
live . . .
Your fall is broken by the hard earth beneath you as you awaken, dazed and bewildered, but alive
nonetheless...

Back then the idea was that there were flows of essence between the planet and the moon, and the Gates of Oblivion were on the moon of the light gods, and souls would tend to drift that way along a current. Cleric powers were explicitly defined as originating in a deity, so Eissa (Lorminstra) was the one you appealed to for resurrection. Her pantheon was the only one with global reach power wise, other than the dark gods on the other moon, whose followers would have to be Evil Clerics whose profession had necromancy rather than resurrection spells. So in that original context it was a simple matter of the other "Liaboans" defer to her on that and the Dark Gods are not even relevant.

These days all of the other deities have their own specific resurrection messaging. What the others do not do is reincarnate souls that have left the body. Only Lorminstra does that, other than the one obscure loophole with Luukos I just posted. I think this is the fundamental idea of why the Broken Lands was supposed to be so evil.

- Xorus' player

>throw shade
You cannot throw a lesser shade!
Re: Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/05/2017 01:50 AM CDT
Thank you both for aharing. Really great info.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/05/2017 02:32 AM CDT
Actually, if you read that Luukos messaging carefully in its exact wording, it is implying your body gets physically transported back and forth with Lornon.

So that avoids the reincarnation issue entirely, he just doesn't finish off your soul. Maybe originally a lingering protection from having deeds.

- Xorus' player

>throw shade
You cannot throw a lesser shade!
Re: Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/05/2017 09:33 AM CDT
The Luukos messaging actually has a few variants... to keep it interesting.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Lorminstra, the Ebon Gate, and Resurrection 08/05/2017 11:14 AM CDT
This is one where he is pleased with the sacrifice. I think I only have two of the variants, but I've never seen what the message was when you went demonic. It has to be different from the Purgatory / Gates of Oblivion message, but still have the mechanic for rerolling or retiring the character / family.

Slowly the world begins to dissolve in a vortex of utter blackness...

[Lornon]
You find yourself in a barren cavern of black ice, totally alien to your sensibilities. There are no exits in the seamless dark walls, and you wonder what forces have brought you here...

The Dark God Luukos appears before you in a sudden flash of stinking brimstone. Your eyes follow his tall, muscular form up to his lizardlike head, and meeting his cold, slitted eyes you begin to fear for your very soul.

Luukos looks at you with a glint of pleasure in his reptilian eyes. "A fitting offering!", he exclaims, lisping softly as he does so.

You see his long, forked tongue slip out of his mouth and shudder uncontrollably. "You shall be well rewarded, my servant!"
Luukos reaches into your soul and tears it out by the roots, flinging you away from himself when he is finished consuming it.

To your surprise, you find yourself with a tenuous grasp on the universe, and your sole thought as you fall seemingly forever is that of amazement that you still live . . .

Your fall is broken by the hard earth beneath you as you awaken, dazed and bewildered, but alive nonetheless...