Lockpick repair 05/09/2018 11:36 PM CDT
Just curious; is there any difference between using Edwina and repairing the pick myself? OK, obvious difference is that I don't have to wait if I do it myself, but
I was wondering about the resultant pick quality. Does the pick end up with a lesser downmod in quality if I do it, or are she and I of equal skill when it comes
to repairing a pick?

I have a second question regarding bent picks. Is there any point in even repairing them? They are still usable even when bent, and in either case they have a negative mod.
Do they mod down less if repaired? Also if I repair them by hand I get the message that it would have gone easier if I fixed them in a workshop. Does repairing them at a
toolbench result in less degradation of quality, or is this just a "atmospheric flavor" message?
Re: Lockpick repair 05/10/2018 07:22 AM CDT
>Does the pick end up with a lesser downmod in quality if I do it, or are she and I of equal skill when it comes to repairing a pick?

Edwina is much slower, slightly more expensive, reduces the mod by a guaranteed amount, and can repair picks that are unrepairable by LM.

The more highly trained you are, the more advantage there is to using Edwina. At low level, with only a few picks, and where the difference in mod doesn't make much difference to your picking experience, repairing them multiple times with LM makes sense. At cap, with a couple dozen picks, where the difference in mod has a larger effect on experience, I use Edwina more than I use LM repair.

LM repair has a floor on the pick mod (maybe 80% of the fresh mod). If a weak pick of that mod is useful, then LM repair is a useful way to keep a pick at that mod, but mostly I prefer Edwina when manufacturing mods not available on fresh picks by break and repair.

>I have a second question regarding bent picks. Is there any point in even repairing them? They are still usable even when bent, and in either case they have a negative mod.

It might be worth doing if you are deliberately trying to degrade the mod, it also might be worth doing if you want to avoid Edwina (getting too many bends before a break will make the broken pick unrepairable by LM). Its also a way of getting some flavor out of a throwaway pick before you throw it away.

I reckon its only worth repairing once before replacing with a fresh pick (at low level or if you only carry a couple of different picks, more repairs are worthwhile, but at 3x capped with a couple dozen on my ring once is it) and its not worth wasting that repair on a bend.
Re: Lockpick repair 05/10/2018 11:13 AM CDT
<I reckon its only worth repairing once before replacing with a fresh pick (at low level or if you only carry a couple of different picks, more repairs are worthwhile, but at 3x capped with a couple dozen on my ring once is it) and its not worth wasting that repair on a bend.>

I've only ever had three reasons to repair picks:

-To save silver at low levels when I didn't have much silver (vaalin's expensive!)

-When a pick with a special description or script in it broke

-When I'm trying to reduce the mod of a pick to get LM ranks or more experience from more boxes

For the first and last reasons, repairing yourself prolly makes more sense. For the second raisin, you should prolly go to the town smith so long as you don't forget to pick it up (I once found a repair ticket in my cloak that had to have been there for 3 years at least).

Since I found myself picking mostly around the Landing starting at level 60ish (just about 80 now), I've found I really only have use for 2 types of picks most of the time: highest mod possible to be able to get as many boxes possible from minotaurs/bowels/red forest and lowest mod possible go get as much exp as possible from everything else (your mileage may vary if you train less then 3x in picking skills or pick elsewhere). With very few exceptions, if I can't pick a box with copper I'm going to need vaalin (and prolly lore) with the boxes I'm brought any more. So, I tend to use any broken picks to get deeds in Hearthstone unless they're copper... in which case I repair them myself.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lockpick repair 05/10/2018 08:26 PM CDT
>>The more highly trained you are, the more advantage there is to using Edwina<<

Wow! That is so totally counter-intuitive. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since there's other stuff in LM that is also seemingly illogical.
Re: Lockpick repair 05/11/2018 06:33 AM CDT
>unless they're copper... in which case I repair them myself.

This is preventing you getting the lowest mod possible. If you want to get more experience out of your copper picks you need to have Edwina take them to lower mods.