Lock effing mastery sucks! 02/02/2018 06:38 PM CST
It was bad enough when I had to get jaws and/or needle traps, since mid to high level boxes had these only rarely. Currently, I need
to extract vials. Now, vials are found in mid to high level boxes, and I have gotten a fair number of them recently. But my actual
recovery rate sucks.

The last 5 times I found vial traps, they were around -200 or so in difficulty. This is less than half of my max disarm ability. Just to
be on the safe side, I cast traplore prior to disarming the trap.

All 5 attempts failed utterly in obtaining a trap component.

Come on, WTF is this about? I'm post-cap, all my physical stats are 100, and the traps as well under half my maximum. Why the problem?
I'm starting to wonder if casting lores somehow triggers a negative mod to component recovery success roll. Can anyone explain this
ridiculous turn of events?
Re: Lock effing mastery sucks! 02/02/2018 07:02 PM CST
Why are you casting lores for boxes that are so far beneath your max ability?

Do yourself a favor and hang out somewhere low level adventures go to get their boxes picked and pick for them... without the unnecessary lore casting.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lock effing mastery sucks! 02/02/2018 08:47 PM CST
You aren't paying attention. I can get that range of traps blindfolded. I was casting lores in a desperate attempt to increase
the chance of my getting a trap component for my current LM rank assignment. It didn't help. I still failed to retrieve a vial 5 times
in a row. It's not a question of finding boxes with the traps I need, it's the fact that my component recovery success rate is absurdly low.
Re: Lock effing mastery sucks! 02/02/2018 09:10 PM CST
Actually, I was paying attention, I was just getting my facts mixed up. You actually need to get harder boxes (stupid ringing phones). The weird thing about extracting traps is that the more challenging they are for you the better your chances of extracting them. I actually put my training in Picking Locks and Disarming Traps on hold for a while when I was still working through LM because of this.

I think it was put in place to prevent high level rogues from farming kobolds to get boxes for their LM reps.... but whatever the reason, there you have it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lock effing mastery sucks! 02/03/2018 03:53 PM CST
Wow. OK, so ... I may actually have been correct. I had speculated to myself that using trap lore might have made things worse. If what you say is true, then using
lores was in fact a bad idea.