Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 03:51 AM CDT
https://gswiki.play.net/Locksmithing_Guide

Let me know if you see any obvious holes/inaccuracies and don't want to update it yourself. This is primarily intended to cover the basics (thoroughly) for new locksmiths and those who don't necessarily live and breathe all the mechanics relating thereto.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 27 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 08:35 AM CDT
>Let me know if you see any obvious holes/inaccuracies and don't want to update it yourself.

Comments, I'd rather leave you to change your guide as you see fit than edit it.

You should mention lore in the key skills. The level range you quote for 2x/3x picking is with lore. 3x gets you the ability to pick the great majority of your boxes without lore, but not to pick well above your level without it.

I wouldn't recommend 1x training for rogues in a basic guide, the situations where it pays are relatively high level and it takes a much longer time to get to a level where you can start working with locks. Bards in particular can manage with less training than rogues because they get the magic for free as part of their normal training and can sing lock sizes.

If you are only training 1x disarm, you can't slack off on perception. That bit of my advice assumes training at least 2x disarm.

Cut the advice on using DISARM multiple times. Always use DETECT if you are intending to make multiple detects (always use detect anyway, but the situations you are most likely to mess up from using DISARM instead are multiple detects).

Experience loss from using 403/404 is severe, at least 50%, and at high training can reach 95% with 404. If you want experience you need to avoid using them as much as possible, which is a big reason for training 3x for your own boxes.

Room conditions have a big effect on detecting/disarming, particularly if you are minimally trained, but don't affect picking.

The stucco well is the traditional spot in Icemule. It may be necessary to tout in TC when the population is low, but picking should be done at the well. The same goes for the Landing, it may be necessary to tout in TSC but picking should be done in the tower. South of Kai's statue used to be the spot in TV, and everywhere else I think its the normal gathering spot(s).

Open rolls and fumbles are 1% chances (i.e. rolls of 100 and 1). Detect can be fumbled too although its extremely hard to tell if you missed a detect by a fumble unless you are specifically researching for it on a box where you know the trap already. Fumbles on picking always have a chance to damage the pick, but they don't always break it, particularly if you would have easily opened the box if you didn't fumble. Fumbles on disarm don't always set off the trap, and you can disarm on a fumble if you would have disarmed easily unless you fumbled.

If a scar is having an effect its likely to outright block you rather than apply a penalty, and the penalties from wounds that don't outright block you are also fairly minor.

The scripts will give information on fresh picks. I doubt they'll perform well with damaged/repaired ones.

Glaes is a good pick for a beginner, plus using whatever you pick up in treasure drops till they break.
Invar once you have the ranks for it.
Vaalin once you are feeling rich.

The higher level you get and the more experience you want from lockpicking, the more picks you'll need, but copper/steel/silver, plus glaes, plus invar is a decent selection for the early levels.

The wiki (and likely the Lich scripts, the pre-lich scripts did) contain some disinformation on lockpicks. There aren't any large errors I am aware of. Beginners are unlikely to be affected, and experts can work it out for themselves. Those that originally compiled the information kept a small edge for themselves.
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 09:26 AM CDT
>> The stucco well is the traditional spot in Icemule. It may be necessary to tout in TC when the population is low, but picking should be done at the well. The same goes for the Landing, it may be necessary to tout in TSC but picking should be done in the tower. South of Kai's statue used to be the spot in TV, and everywhere else I think its the normal gathering spot(s).

/Begin White Haven Locksmith's Den plug

I need to read through the guide still but I wanted to point out that White Haven has a public Locksmith's Den that has seen some use in recent times and might be a reasonable alternative to using the stucco well - I've seen more locksmith's here in recent times than I have at the (agreed more traditional) stucco well.

The Den includes an unlimited (and free) supply of winterberry red ale which always mixes well with locksmithing!

Last point is that White Haven is interested in promoting this spot as a communal location so we are also open to suggestions for improvement to this area.

/End White Haven Locksmith's Den plug.

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 12:13 PM CDT
This seems like a great intro to locksmithing guide! Well done!

My additional input:

Disarm - very minor (but new person centric) point. Locksmith tool kits need to be worn and open in order for DISARM to utilize them.

Breakage / Repair - maybe a mention that lockpicks degrade each time they are repaired so after awhile it will be better to replace vs. repair (I generally end up doing this after 3-4 repairs). Also, since your old lockpicks can't be sold might be worth mentioning that they can be used for DEEDS in some towns.

Understanding Traps - it might be worth bulleting each trap type with a short explanation of how to disarm it following.

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 04:46 PM CDT
Good info and suggestions, thanks guys. There's a hell of a lot of data to take in for a new picker, and this isn't intended to encompass everything there is to know - I feel it'd be far too dense if I tried to cram everything in there. (I feel it's borderline as it is.) But I'll be making some updates once I'm a bit more awake.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 27 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 05:01 PM CDT
>Disarm - very minor (but new person centric) point. Locksmith tool kits need to be worn and open in order for DISARM to utilize them.

Open yes, but I don't think they need to be worn. I'm pretty sure mine is in another container.
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/17/2017 09:16 PM CDT
>Open yes, but I don't think they need to be worn. I'm pretty sure mine is in another container.

Mine lives in my cloak. You can't use them as lockpick containers like that, but the disarm scripts work fine.
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/18/2017 08:18 AM CDT
<My additional input:

<Disarm - very minor (but new person centric) point. Locksmith tool kits need to be worn and open in order for DISARM to utilize them.

<Breakage / Repair - maybe a mention that lockpicks degrade each time they are repaired so after awhile it will be better to replace vs. repair (I generally end up doing this after 3-4 repairs). Also, since your old lockpicks can't be sold might be worth mentioning that they can be used for DEEDS in some towns.

Very good to know! Thank you, Robert.

~ Aerhinn
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/18/2017 08:58 AM CDT
Another point that you might add.

Traps can be modded down as well as locks. "sense that you could have had it with a little more luck" in the messaging below indicates the attempt was close and there's a bonus on the next one.

Its probably not a good idea to be trying to disarm a deadly AoE trap in town when you need this sort of roll, but a non-lethal one may be worth the risk of continuing, either because you are a beginner and don't have lore, or are capped and don't want to give up 96% of your experience for the lock by casting it (the exp penalty for 404 isn't always 96%, but it does get that high for boxes at the extreme end of the unlored range of a capped smith)

R>disarm my box
Having discovered a trap on the box you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

You feel like you've made a talented attempt.

You are not able to disarm the trap but you get a sense that you could have had it with a little more luck.

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 33 sec.
R>disarm my box

Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 09/18/2017 09:18 AM CDT
>(the exp penalty for 404 isn't always 96%, but it does get that high for boxes at the extreme end of the unlored range of a capped smith)

I think I have this wrong, its 96% if you could only just pick with a vaalin, cast 403 and pick with a vaalin, but the right analogy for trap experience is picking with a copper, and I think that tops out at about 88%.
Re: Locksmithing Guide on the wiki 04/11/2018 07:03 AM CDT
>Good info and suggestions, thanks guys. There's a hell of a lot of data to take in for a new picker, and this isn't intended to encompass everything there is to know - I feel it'd be far too dense if I tried to cram everything in there. (I feel it's borderline as it is.) But I'll be making some updates once I'm a bit more awake.

Traps looks too dense to my eye now, and there's some duff stuff about repair thats crept in.