Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/02/2016 06:38 PM CDT

I ran into what seems to be an oversight with an old box opening item. I was given an OPEN box to relock. I closed said box and relocked it - only to have it explode from an elemental blast sphere. There SHOULD be absolutely no way for an open box to have that trap still present. I learned afterwards it had been opened with an old set uses per day box opening key. It seems that something like that SHOULD disable the trap as well as open the box. I assume it does not because it was created before the ability to relock boxes was introduced.
Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 09:31 AM CDT
Not sure I agree.

If you have a key that opens the box it should bypass the trap (not disarm it). Once the box is closed again the trap would be reset.

A person with a proper key could then open the box again safely. Anyone else would be subject to the trap.

Doesn't that make sense as to how you would design a trapped box?

-- Robert

Raggler squeakily says, "Muffins are also known to be one of the most healthiest foods in the world."

Raggler squeakily says, "It's a fact."
Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 11:27 AM CDT

You don't design a trapped box with the intention of it being bypassed and opened magically, no. This isn't a key made for the lock, this is a magical item which bypasses the lock.
Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 11:58 AM CDT
I am familiar with the keys as I own one. They basically morph into the 'correct' key to open the box.

-- Robert

Raggler squeakily says, "Muffins are also known to be one of the most healthiest foods in the world."

Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 01:29 PM CDT
>Doesn't that make sense as to how you would design a trapped box?

That's not how sphere traps are designed.

>Examining the box, you locate a small dark reddish-brown sphere held in a metal bracket towards the back of the lock mechanism. The spherical crystal gives off a faint humming noise, occasionally extruding a thin spiky filament. It appears that were the tumblers to be activated, the gem would be caught amongst them.

In a lock, the tumblers are turned whether you use a lockpick or a key.

There are traps you can "pick around", and those are the ones that would not be set off by the box's own key. A sphere trap is not one of them. Clearly, then, there's some magic involved.
Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 04:27 PM CDT
We can only guess at the original intent when these were designed but magic isn't necessarily a requirement. Here is a similar example with the vial traps. Note that the vial isn't removed or relocated but now isn't crushed by the tumblers. Maybe using the correct key on a sphere trapped lock provides similar protection?

Peering closely into the lock, you spy a tiny vial placed just past the tumblers of the lock mechanism. It would appear that any tampering with the lock mechanism would cause the tumblers to crush the vial and release whatever substance is inside.

You carefully push a small ball of cotton into the lock mechanism, surrounding and protecting the small vial from anything that may shatter it.

Maybe it's a bug and maybe it is intended. Just pointing out that there are more than one possible explanations and the OP position that there isn't any way for this to be possible isn't necessarily accurate. I think my explanation is more logical but that doesn't mean it is the correct one!

-- Robert

Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 04:43 PM CDT
Here is the messaging when used on a bladder trap by the way (also caught in the tumblers):

>disarm my chest
>
You carefully begin to examine a badly damaged tanik chest for traps...

Feeling around the inside of the lock, you notice that the casing is coated with a rough, grainy substance. You lean forward and peer between the walls of the casing. Examining the lock closely, you notice a small bladder filled with a strange liquid wedged between the tumblers. With your face this close to the lock, you pick up the faintest scent of sulphur.

>unlock my chest with my key
As you insert your key into the chest there is a slight flash of light. You can feel the key turn slightly liquid in your grasp, as it molds itself to the lock on the chest.
You hear a click as it unlocks.

-- Robert

Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 05:43 PM CDT
'Fluff' wise, I assume that the correct (regular, physical) key will push the trap out of the way as well as unlock the lock itself.

Bugwise, do you think that it would be possible to have the person who used that magical key to BUGITEM the key while holding it? That would let me take a closer look. It's a little grey in terms of bug or feature, but if I can try it out myself it would help.

Ixix
Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/03/2016 06:04 PM CDT
Assuming you were probably directing the request to the original poster but I went ahead and bugged mine to help expedite your research.

Submitted bug regarding a dark urnon barrel key to play.net's bug tracking database with these details:
"Locksmithing and traps folder post from GS4-IXIX: Bugwise, do you think that it would be possible to have the person who used that magical key to BUGITEM the key while holding it? That would let me take a closer look. It's a little grey in terms of bug or feature, but if I can try it out myself it would help."
>
-- Robert

Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/04/2016 01:32 PM CDT

I have asked the owner of the key to BUGITEM, but since you are asking, I will assume she has not done so. I'll remind her, next time I see her.
Re: Bug/oversight with magical box opening items 04/06/2016 07:30 PM CDT
Thanks! To be clear - I'm not necessarily saying that there is a bug, just that that will let me recreate the exact circumstances and see what's what. I appreciate the help in that endeavor!

Ixix