Trap question 01/01/2016 12:50 PM CST
So with the following :

You carefully begin to examine an enruned steel coffer for traps...
Examining the coffer, you locate a small dark reddish-brown sphere held in a metal bracket towards the back of the lock mechanism. The spherical crystal gives off a faint humming noise, occasionally extruding a thin spiky filament. It appears that were the tumblers to be activated, the gem would be caught amongst them.
It looks like a simple trap (-71).
You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
>disarm my coff
Having discovered a trap on the coffer you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...
No matter how you try, your fingers are just too big to get back there to the gem. You'll need some sort of thin, rigid implement like a lockpick.

Why can we not use the tools in our locksmithing tool kit to disarm it? Namely the needle or file? Both are small enough to fit into the lock as that is how they are used with other traps. Why do I have to pull a lockpick out of my bracer just to disarm this one trap?
Re: Trap question 01/01/2016 02:08 PM CST
Several traps (scales, spheres, etc) were created the way the way they were to keep the player engaged with the system rather then just mindlessly typing DETECT MY BOX, DISARM MY BOX, GET MY PICK, PICK MY BOX. In the case of sphere traps, it also adds an element of danger to picking that doesn't depend on a random number generator (I know I'm not the only one to trip a sphere trap more times then I care to admit because I got distracted and typed PICK instead of DISARM once I got that pick in my hand).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Trap question 01/01/2016 05:14 PM CST

Scales make logical sense, as you'd need a knife to disarm the trap. What I'm bothered by is needing a lockpick to disarm the sphere trap, when I have two long(ish) objects already in my locksmithing kit that fit in the lock and should work just fine in prodding the sphere out of its holdings.
Re: Trap question 01/02/2016 03:50 AM CST
You can use a copper pick on a -1300 lock. Doesn't mean its a good idea. If you had the same sort of success chance with a file on a sphere trap, would you really want an attempt to be triggered automatically?
Re: Trap question 01/02/2016 10:55 AM CST

I understand that you like the trap concept and I am by no means trying to pick an argument, but I don't see the difference between a lockpick and a file or needle in the case of disarming this trap.

A lockpick in our current generation would have tiny teeth, but normally the teeth are recessed a bit from the tip. So if the GS lockpicks follow the same logic, there is little difference between the first milometers of a needle and a lockpick. Both should be able to prod a crystal all gentle like.
Re: Trap question 01/02/2016 01:40 PM CST
The real answer is that it works this way because that's the way the game mechanics are coded; logic is not necessarily part of creating a fantasy game. And since nobody wants to work on modifying guild skills, that's the way it will stay.
Re: Trap question 01/02/2016 05:55 PM CST
<<And since nobody wants to work on modifying guild skills, that's the way it will stay. >>

Can we not say things like this, please?

SGM Sleken
Re: Trap question 01/02/2016 11:18 PM CST
>And since nobody wants to work on modifying guild skills, that's the way it will stay.

Since when is locksmithing a guild skill? Last I checked, any class in the game can disarm traps with the proper training.

My question about this trap has nothing to do with guild skills at all. It's simply a question of why a specific tool is needed to disarm the trap when we have other tools available already in our locksmithing kits that would complete the job just as easily.
Re: Trap question 01/03/2016 08:47 AM CST
<It's simply a question of why a specific tool is needed to disarm the trap when we have other tools available already in our locksmithing kits that would complete the job just as easily.>

There are three possible reasons:

It could be because the person that designed the trap wanted the player to pull out a tool to have in their hand rather then just have it be something the script tells you your character did. That can't be done with the tools in kits, so they picked something every locksmith already has on them: lockpicks

It might make sense for your character to do it the way you describe, but with what was trying to be done with the trap they couldn't use the file or other tools in the kits because they're not actual objects you can take out and hold.

Second, they could have known the psychological effect that having to pull out your lockpick to disarm the trap would have on the player and designed the trap around that concept.

Lastly, it's completely possible the kits didn't exist yet when the trap was designed and it was kept the way it was when they were to preserve the uniqueness of the trap (I didn't have a locksmithing character until after kits were released, but someone else might know better)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Trap question 01/03/2016 06:01 PM CST
>>Can we not say things like this, please?<<

AFAIK, this is correct. Or at any rate, this was the response I got some time ago when I inquired about possible changes to rogue guild mechanics. Have things changed? If not, then my prior post is quite justified.
Re: Trap question 01/03/2016 06:03 PM CST
Yep, moment of weakness on my part. Continue.

SGM Sleken
Re: Trap question 01/03/2016 06:48 PM CST
Well hey now, I did update LM twice last year, and GM Contemplar made several updates that affected guild skills.

As far as this trap goes though - I always thought that it was just to make the disarming routine different, similar to how scales traps switch the order of picking and disarming around, but that's just an assumption. I don't know of any specific individual reason for it.

Ixix
Re: Trap question 01/03/2016 07:59 PM CST
FWIW, I like that orbs add a little diversity to lockpicking.

Scales still terrify me. Every time I pick manually, I tense up when I see one.
Re: Trap question 01/04/2016 04:37 AM CST
>Scales still terrify me. Every time I pick manually, I tense up when I see one.

I keep fiddling with my dagger while working on a scales trap. (Can't grab the lockpick to pick the lock because I have a dagger in my hands, why do I have a dagger in my hands, SCALES)
Re: Trap question 01/04/2016 01:46 PM CST
Heh; I remember picking for someone and doing a box with a scales trap, and at the same time listening to the conversation going on. Being distracted, I handed the box back to the customer without slicing the trap cord. I was in the process of yelling "Wait! Don't open that b..." Boom! Instant jail time, and a customer I never saw again. How embarrassing.