Lockpick degradation 12/06/2015 11:11 PM CST
I was picking some boxes the other day, and using a pick that I had repaired a couple of times, and got this message:

>>pick stro
You settle into the difficult task of picking the lock.
You make a poor attempt (d100=39).
You struggle with the strongbox. As you do, you get a sense that the strongbox has a very easy lock (-120 thief-lingo difficulty ranking). Then...CLICK! It opens!

You feel like the steel lockpick has degraded too much to be a true test of your glorious abilities.<<

This started me wondering; how much does a pick's quality degrade each time it gets repaired? I mean, if you repair a vaalin pick enough times, I assume it's performance will degrade down to the point where it's equal to or worse than a new invar pick, but how many repairs does it take for this to happen? It would be, for example, when assessing a pick to get a message something like "this pick has been repaired often enough that it has gone down one level in quality".

Re: Lockpick degradation 12/07/2015 06:19 PM CST
For anybody curious, that specific message is for when the pick is too damaged for Lock Mastery repetition credit and nothing else.

As to how much a picks are degraded by when repaired - it varies. The more LM ranks you have and the better your luck, the less the damage. Conversely, the higher the pick quality and the more times it's been repaired the higher the damage.

Using a workshop will put a lower cap on the maximum damage to the pick modifier.

Ixix
Re: Lockpick degradation 12/07/2015 07:45 PM CST
>>The more LM ranks you have and the better your luck, the less the damage<<

OK, how about when Edwina repairs a pick? Her skill should be a constant, so her results shouldn't vary.
Re: Lockpick degradation 12/08/2015 12:34 AM CST
>For anybody curious, that specific message is for when the pick is too damaged for Lock Mastery repetition credit and nothing else.
>Ixix

I've had that message come up before from a silver pick I had just picked up from a creature kill. I thought the pick might come in handy for younger critter boxes when completing picking reps. The pick had not been used before. I just thought that maybe with my skill, the low lock level and the type of pick that I wasn't able to earn a rep from it towards lock mastery.

I've since sold the pick at the pawnshop and I reserve my lock mastery reps for boxes I pull from hunts.

-Drumple
Re: Lockpick degradation 12/08/2015 09:03 AM CST
I should rephrase that to 'the mod is too low to get a rep' instead of 'too damaged' since it's possible to land in a spot (like you did) where the pick isn't damaged but the mod is still too low.

As far as I can tell, Edwina's repairs on a completely broken lockpick will result in a random amount of change in the mod, up to the same max as a player outside of a workshop.

Ixix
Re: Lockpick degradation 12/23/2015 08:23 PM CST
>> I should rephrase that to 'the mod is too low to get a rep' instead of 'too damaged' since it's possible to land in a spot (like you did) where the pick isn't damaged but the mod is still too low.

In layman terms... (I've been staring at Tsoran's charts for the last 3 months.)

Depending on your lock mastery rank you cannot ever use certain lockpicks. For example you can never use steel lockpicks for reps. Gold is the minimum at 1.2 mod. Even if that steel lockpick was 100% repaired brand new you couldn't use it.

At LMAS rank 20 the lowest possible lockpick you can use is veniom, a 2.2 mod. However, like when Ixix mentioned, if it gets damaged the mod can drop below the required threshold to count for reps so that not even veniom can be used.

Ixix, if you don't mind clarifying something. Let's say I have a veniom lockpick with a 2.2 mod. That should be the lowest for rank 20 LMAS. Assuming i get it repaired it will always drop below 2.2, to lets say 2.15. However that doesn't necessarily remove it from LMAS Reps. So, is it a range? Or what's going on?

Thank you!
Re: Lockpick degradation 12/23/2015 09:52 PM CST
<Ixix, if you don't mind clarifying something. Let's say I have a veniom lockpick with a 2.2 mod. That should be the lowest for rank 20 LMAS. Assuming i get it repaired it will always drop below 2.2, to lets say 2.15. However that doesn't necessarily remove it from LMAS Reps. So, is it a range? Or what's going on?>

I'm curious how you'd know the exact mod of a broken and repaired pick given the randomness entailed in exactly how much a pick in degraded when repaired. Unless loresinging will give the exact value of the mod (which it might for all I know), it would be impossible to have more then a reliable range, esp after multiple repairs.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lockpick degradation 12/28/2015 01:08 PM CST
As long as the mod on your pick hasn't been degraded too much (which normally happens through damage), it should be fine - the calculations take the original mod into account and give you some leeway. For Drumple's silver lockpick - that pick must have had the mod reduced or set incorrectly through some other means. It's really hard to guess what that might have been without seeing the pick though.

Upon further reflection, I'd probably call that one a bug if I encountered it. If that happens to somebody, and you really really think that it's a fresh pick and not one that somebody has tossed - please BUGITEM it. That should give us the info to figure what's going on with it, and hopefully track down its origin.

Ixix