87 Boxes 11/15/2015 09:13 PM CST
There was some recent discussion somewhere on the forums about how long it takes to open boxes with a player character. I couldn't find the original thread but thought this was an appropriate folder for the information. My focus is on opening boxes vs. gaining max experience from them. With that in mind:

level 71 Rogue, 2x in Disarm Trap, Pick Lock, and Perception.
- Mastered in Lock Mastery.
- I checked each box for traps, and disarmed it if needed.
- I used calipers on every box.
- I selected a lockpick that would do the job with reasonable ease. I generally select from a silver lockpick, an invar lockp, and several vaalin lockpicks (off the shelf repaired 5 times, off the shelf repaired twice, and one I made with an exceptional result so better than off the shelf).
- I'll cast 403 if there is any doubt.
- I always cast 404 if there is a trap.

87 Boxes (all from the rift, plane one)
- 36 were trapped
- Slowest 3 times on detecting/disarming traps (91, 49, 32 seconds). 91 seconds was 4 attempts before success.
- Fastest 3 times on detecting/disarming traps (10, 10, 10 seconds). All three of these were 5 seconds to detect and 5 seconds to disarm.
- Calipers were always between 7-10 seconds.
- Slowest 3 times on picking box (35, 20, 15 seconds). 35 seconds was 8 attempts for a good roll at 5 seconds per attempt and 0 seconds on success.
- Fastest time was 0 seconds on many attempts.

It's interesting to note that trapped/untrapped boxes tend to average out on the time as if there is a trap you often spend like 5 seconds identifying it and then some time disarming it and if you don't find a trap you spend around 14-20 seconds making the determination. My fastest detect/disarm times were all on trapped boxes vs. untrapped boxes.

Additional time spent on:
- Used urnon key on 1 box where the scarab trap was beyond my ability.
- Visited the town locksmith 1 time where the trap was beyond my ability.
- Wedged 1 box where the lock was beyond my ability.
- Had 1 result where my one of my vaalin lockpicks was 'bent/twisted'. It was actually one I am waiting to break so I can throw it away so I use it on some iffy cases first.
- Re-calibrated my calipers a total of 6 times for about 74 seconds of RT. This could have been closer to 4 times if I hadn't waited so long to re-calibrate at one point.

Average time spent opening each box: 37.49 seconds per box (this is hard RT and doesn't include time getting/putting away calipers and lockpicks, etc.)
Total of 2,914 seconds of RT (just under 49 minutes) to open all 87 boxes. In reality this occurred over about 2 hours as we spent time going to lockers, moving lockers, and picking up / passing off boxes, selling contents, etc.

As a final note, 16 of the traps were scarab traps which sold for just over 71k. When I am picking for others I generally keep the scarabs and don't accept any other compensation for my time.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: 87 Boxes 11/16/2015 07:27 AM CST
I'd call this a compromise between experience and speed (which you pretty much had to make because you don't have the training to open the top witch boxes and pure speed would have broken vaalins).

Speed means no calipering and virtually no pick RT and comes out about twice as fast and a quarter the experience as calipering once and choosing your lowest mod pick that normally opens that caliper reading first time.
Re: 87 Boxes 11/16/2015 09:01 AM CST
>> I'd call this a compromise between experience and speed

That's a fair assessment. If I was opening level 30 boxes for someone then I would just plow through them with an appropriate level pick without using the calipers.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."