Lock difficulty 11/06/2015 01:09 AM CST
Is it common for you guys to find boxes with locks that range in a difficulty of a blind kobold shut the lid and tried to seal it with mud, from your hunting grounds?

I tend to frequent level 34-40 creatures and I've come across 3 out of my last ten boxes to have a lock difficulty of -35 or less (-35, -10 and -5 to be exact). The other locks usually range from -250 to -505.

I haven't played my rogue much in the past years and just started getting back into the swing of things, but the overly simple locks are looking to being quiet common.

-Drumpel
Re: Lock difficulty 11/06/2015 11:09 AM CST
The lock generator has the possibility to make a fumble roll and this will produce a primitive (5-35) lock from any critter in the game. Even if the critter's normal range is -1100 to -1350, the occasional -5 will drop. Even the inhabitants of Nelemar find a way to steal the occasional box off a kobold.

-35 you can find anywhere, -40 you won't see unless its in the critters normal range.

The traps on these fumble boxes will likewise be at the bottom end of what is possible for that trap, but not all traps go as low as -5 so its not as obviously low until you get to rather higher level critters.

3 out of 10 fumble rolls is higher than average, but it happens.
Re: Lock difficulty 11/06/2015 11:09 AM CST
3 out of 10 is more than usual, but it is common. The mud seems to get a little thicker as you get in higher hunting grounds, but it's still always a lock for a copper pick.
Re: Lock difficulty 11/06/2015 11:34 AM CST
The fumble generated locks is the reason for this pick's existence. Thats about 50 repairs working out how to get a pick degraded to an appropriate level for primitive locks, and another 8 for each of the times its gone too low and I've had to take it back up to nearly fresh and back down again.

>lm app my loc
You examine the brass-edged lockpick very closely. It appears to be in excellent condition. It seems to have a detrimental level of precision and is flimsy. Judging by the tip, the lockpick has been repaired about 66 times. You could probably handle an extremely easy lock pretty easily with it.

You'll start to get significantly more experience on these primitive locks from an appropriately degraded pick somewhere mid level. (I actually made this one around level 55, but didn't reckon it was worth the trouble to fill out my range of degraded coppers for the other low lock sizes much before cap.)
Re: Lock difficulty 11/06/2015 12:39 PM CST
Thanks for the info. I just seem to be lucky in finding low locks recently and was curious if it was common.

-Drumpel