HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 08:39 AM CDT
Traplore (404) has been updated to reduce disarming roundtimes based on Elemental Lore: Water ranks. A seed 6 summation will reduce roundtime by 1 second per bonus.

Ixix

This message was originally posted in Magic Spells/Systems, Minor Elemental Circle. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/224/2484/view/731
Re: HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 08:48 AM CDT
So how about actually doing something for those that are good at smithing rather than helping those that are bad at it deal with boxes faster than those who are good at it?

Smiths are supposed to normally not use 403 and 404 and experience penalties are applied to enforce this. Giving a roundtime bonus to non smiths over smiths is outrageous.
Re: HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 09:14 AM CDT
I am patient since the ELR is big but I am a bit confused about who the EL:W tie-in benefits here. No rogue is training in EL:W - only wizards do. But no wizard is picking their own boxes, instead they are popping them. So this update helps wizards cast lore on other pickers, although non self-cast lore is 1/2 as powerful?
Re: HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 09:17 AM CDT
<Smiths are supposed to normally not use 403 and 404 and experience penalties are applied to enforce this. Giving a roundtime bonus to non smiths over smiths is outrageous.>

When I first saw the updates to 403/404 I thought is was fairly silly to give them lore bonuses, considering who uses them the most. Even as a post-cap goal I don't see many rogues sacrificing EXP and loads of TPs just to extend the life of their picks or shave a few seconds off disarm RT.... tough, it would be a nice perk for those that routinely pick boxes from areas that even a tripler needs lore to manually pick a high percentage of them.

Ultimately, I think the updates to 403/404 were mostly an afterthought and ment to give folk a (admittedly small) reason to train in a skill that doesn't have many perks to it (EL: Water).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 09:18 AM CDT
I think they may need to reevaluate how 403/404 work when cast on others. I've never played a locksmith so I don't understand how it works, but from what I've heard using 403/404 reduces the gains from opening boxes. Perhaps it's time we made it so that using 403/404 on others is only a benefit? Or would that be a bad idea for some reason?

What if 403/404 just chose the highest bonus. So if I cast 403/404 on you and it provides more benefit than the 403/404 you have running currently, it is overwritten. Otherwise it isn't. And for lockmastery tasks? I have no idea how this works, but I read Starchitin post a complaint that 403/404 mess with that somehow. Is there a way we could fix that?

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 09:45 AM CDT
<And for lockmastery tasks? I have no idea how this works, but I read Starchitin post a complaint that 403/404 mess with that somehow. Is there a way we could fix that?>

One of the LM tasks is to open boxes that are a challenge for you. Because of the way the mechanics work, anything that "increases your skill" (using too good of a pick, getting too high of a d100 roll, lock lore, etc) can make a box that WOULD have given you a rep fail to do so. I even paused my training in lockpicking and disarm traps for half a dozen levels or so to increase the number of boxes I could get reps off of.

This is why most rogues working through LM normally start with the lowest grade pick that will get them a rep and work their way up as needed... and why many get upset about having lore cast on them when they didn't ask for it (esp if they don't know the spell themself). LM is tedious enough without having "helpful" folk costing you reps.

Even though I mastered LM quite a bit ago, I still don't like it when folk start casting 403/404 on me. Besides having recently gotten them myself (having it self cast and tripling in lockpicking skills makes mine more powerful then what any wizard, bard, or sorcerer can give me) and losing out on exp because of the spell, the person casting it on me can't see what d100 I'm getting or if it was just an unlucky fumble.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: HSN: ELR - 404 (Disarm Enhancement) updated! 08/19/2015 11:43 AM CDT
<Ultimately, I think the updates to 403/404 were mostly an afterthought and ment to give folk a (admittedly small) reason to train in a skill that doesn't have many perks to it (EL: Water).>

I completely agree with you. No matter what we say right now, I don't think we'll be able to get any changes at this time, especially since it's meant to be a lore review. That being said, more people are awake and paying attention with these changes, so it makes it the perfect time for anyone who sees a need for changes to smithing to speak up and let them know. Much like signing a petition, commenting in the forums will help get across the message that we do need a change.