Modding Down, 403, and ... Aura? 02/12/2015 07:49 AM CST
I'd just like to confirm with others something I noticed. I suppose it's a question of exactly what bonus is provided by modding down, and whether Aura Bonus might factor in. (Cross-posted with Magical Spell and Systems / Minor Elemental Circle)

In particular, it appears that up to half of the Aura bonus may be added to the manual picking bonus with Lock Pick Enhancement (403). I had a lot of lockered boxes from the Marsh Keep, as well as my wife continually bringing me Marsh Keep boxes, which usually max out right near the top of my present skill range. Thus, I had determined earlier in the evening that a roll of 67 was exactly sufficient to get a -665 lock with my enhancives on (though, again, some modding down may alter this):

You settle into the difficult task of picking the lock.
You make a competent attempt (d100=66).
You are not able to pick the coffer, but you get a sense that it has a difficult lock. About a -665 difficulty lock (in thief-lingo).
Roundtime: 20 sec.

Exactly the next attempt:

>pick my coff
You make a competent attempt (d100=67).
You struggle with the coffer. As you do, you get a sense that the coffer has a difficult lock (-665 thief-lingo difficulty ranking). Then...CLICK! It opens!

As to the case in question, I had no enhancives on, so here are my stats:

Strength (STR): 99 (9) ... 99 (9)
Constitution (CON): 86 (28) ... 86 (28)
Dexterity (DEX): 97 (38) ... 97 (38)
Agility (AGI): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
Discipline (DIS): 97 (18) ... 97 (18)
Aura (AUR): 97 (18) ... 97 (18)
Logic (LOG): 97 (28) ... 97 (28)
Intuition (INT): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
Wisdom (WIS): 97 (23) ... 97 (23)
Influence (INF): 85 (12) ... 85 (12)

>pick my coff
You make a good attempt (d100=70).
You are not able to pick the coffer, but you get a sense that it has a difficult lock. About a -655 difficulty lock (in thief-lingo).

Not recalling modding down at the moment, I found this confusing, so I immediately put on my enhancives, stop 403, and recast it.

Strength (STR): 99 (9) ... 99 (9)
Constitution (CON): 86 (28) ... 86 (28)
Dexterity (DEX): 97 (38) ... 97 (38)
Agility (AGI): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
Discipline (DIS): 97 (18) ... 97 (18)
Aura (AUR): 97 (18) ... 115 (27)
Logic (LOG): 97 (28) ... 97 (28)
Intuition (INT): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
Wisdom (WIS): 97 (23) ... 102 (26)
Influence (INF): 85 (12) ... 85 (12)

You make an adequate attempt (d100=51).
You are not able to pick the coffer, but you get a sense that it has a difficult lock. About a -655 difficulty lock (in thief-lingo).

You make an adequate attempt (d100=59).

You make a lame attempt (d100=26).
You are not able to pick the lock, but you get a feeling that it is within your abilities.

You make a competent attempt (d100=63).
You struggle with the coffer. As you do, you get a sense that the coffer has a difficult lock (-655 thief-lingo difficulty ranking). Then...CLICK! It open

This was done consecutively on the exact same box (so the "About" difficulty rating is not a confounding factor). I suppose it is a question of the bonus from modding down and its time window. From the roll of 70 until the success, I show basically all the time involved (minus a moment to put on enhancives and re-cast 403).

This is not in contradiction with saved post from a player (see here: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/403_and_404_bonus_calculations_(saved_post) ), and in fact suggests that the missing "something" in Porcell's forumla may be related to aura bonus. However, a saved post from GMs doesn't seem to mention it (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Locksmithing_(saved_post) ), although if it was a factor in 403 only (and not normal manual picking), it depends on how you read it.

So, this is kind of a question as to how modding down works (is it a bonus of at least +3 or more for more than 60 seconds?), and if this is useful evidence that aura bonus may contribute to 403 for manual picking. If aura definitely does not contribute, it does offer some insight into the bonus received from modding down (which is certainly not posted on gswiki). The roll of 59 after the aura enhancives makes the notion questionable, since 59+9 additional aura is more than the later 63 which achieves success. But still, it really depends on the amount of bonus from modding down. It cannot be the full aura bonus, although it could be as much as half the aura bonus.

TLTR: What's the bonus from modding down?

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Modding Down, 403, and ... Aura? 02/12/2015 07:50 AM CST
> (Cross-posted with Magical Spell and Systems / Minor Elemental Circle)

Oh, and I decided not to cross post. Woops

Re: Modding Down, 403, and ... Aura? 02/12/2015 09:23 AM CST
You make a competent attempt (d100=66).
You are not able to pick the coffer, but you get a sense that it has a difficult lock. About a -665 difficulty lock (in thief-lingo).

Assuming no prior modding, this means that on subsequent attempts the lock will act like it was -660. It also means that your roll was within 20 of the roll required to open the lock.

i.e. if you had no prior knowledge of what was required, after making this roll you know that the minimum roll required to open on the next attempt is somewhere in the range 62-81.

I've never known the mod bonus wear off, even when I've spent dozens of attempts including accumulating 8 mod bonuses over several minutes before unlocking the box.

DEX adds to the lore bonus when picking, AUR when popping. The lore bonus isn't fully understood by players. That formula of Porcell's captures the variation with those known factors but it understates my lore bonus by 20, rather than 5-10.

If you used DEX or lockpick enhancives you'd expect to see an indirect effect via a lore boost as well as a direct one.

This sequence is consistent with there being no change to your lore bonus on donning your enhancives.

You make a good attempt (d100=70), sense. Minimum roll required to open now in range 66-85
You make an adequate attempt (d100=51), sense. Minimum roll required to open now in range 61-66
You make a lame attempt (d100=26), feeling. No change, a roll of 26 was bound to be a feeling based on the earlier ones.
You make a competent attempt (d100=63), opens. Minimum roll required to open was in range 61-63.

Since there were two mods involved, the minimum roll to open originally was in the range 71-73.

Picking endroll results

60 or lower, hidden roll for damage.
61-80, feeling, no effect
81-100, sense, bonus of 5 to subsequent attempts
101-150, opens with high RT
151-200, opens with medium RT
201+, opens with no RT

>TLTR: What's the bonus from modding down?

5 per mod
Re: Modding Down, 403, and ... Aura? 02/12/2015 11:44 AM CST
>5 per mod

Great. Thanks!