PC locksmith demand 01/10/2015 09:07 AM CST

Was giving some thought this morning about how we might increase the demand for some PC locksmith interaction without totally disrupting folks that just don't want to go that path. So... what if we introduce a new kind of box/trap/box material/whatever that the town locksmiths are unwilling to touch? The general idea being (however you decide to implement and explain it) is that a small portion of boxes found (less than 5% for sure) would be boxes that the town locksmith just won't or can't open.

I think something along these lines might create some additional interactions with PC locksmiths which might trigger more interactions with locksmiths for other boxes as well. "Oh hey, I have this box that Larton won't touch. And while you are at it I have these other boxes I need opened as well." At the same time, it won't completely disrupt the game for people that choose not to interact with PC locksmiths for whatever reason.

Just a thought.

-- Robert
Re: PC locksmith demand 01/10/2015 12:35 PM CST
"Tricky stuff mithril", says Larton and sucks his breath sharply in through his teeth, "I'd have to charge you double for that. But for 11276 silvers I can have it open for you."

Mithril and glyphs serve this purpose to some extent already, in that they are not readily popped/blown up by casters and will be taken to the NPC or saved for a smith. Making them significantly more costly might increase the proportion that went to a player.

"Oh, noes", wails Larton, "I used my last thingummaijig on one of those last week and haven't seen that gnome since to get more. I'm afraid you'll have to take that to a proper smith to get opened."

If its something truly unopenable by the NPC it ought to be rare (Id say more like the 5 per thousand than the 5% level) and have a high chance of having something nice that wouldn't survive a magical opening inside it.
Re: PC locksmith demand 01/10/2015 12:59 PM CST
"Oh, noes", wails Larton, "I used my last thingummaijig on one of those last week and haven't seen that gnome since to get more. I'm afraid you'll have to take that to one of those pretend smiths to get opened."

Fixed that - professional rivalry and all. . .

Doug