Lockpicks 07/07/2011 09:10 AM CDT
I last remember when we break a lockpick, its properties will drop once it's repaired & it won't be as good as when it's new. Is it the same now? What about lockpick that is being repaired while been stressed, bent & etc without breaking it? The properties not as good as well? Is there anyway to check the lockpick? How much diference does it have between a repaired one & a new one? very significant? Can someone advise me? Thank you

Chzin
Player behind:
Tchzin
Re: Lockpicks 07/07/2011 11:00 AM CDT
>lm app my lock
You examine the ora lockpick very closely. It appears to be in excellent condition. It seems to have a below average level of precision and is strong. As far as you can tell, the lockpick has never been repaired. You could probably handle a well-crafted lock pretty easily with it.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

>lm repair my lock
The lockpick appears to be in pretty good condition already.

Lockmastery is for any serious picker, an amazing guild skill. If....well its an investment.

Re: Lockpicks 07/07/2011 09:32 PM CDT
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it, time to work on guild skills then... LOL

Chzin
Player behind:
Tchzin
Re: Lockpicks 07/11/2011 10:55 AM CDT
>>>I last remember when we break a lockpick, its properties will drop once it's repaired & it won't be as good as when it's new. Is it the same now? What about lockpick that is being repaired while been stressed, bent & etc without breaking it? The properties not as good as well? Is there anyway to check the lockpick? How much diference does it have between a repaired one & a new one? very significant? Can someone advise me? Thank you ~Chzin, Player behind: Tchzin

As THORNBROOK showed you, Lockmastery is a skill well worth the time sink it requires.

The below is taken from the seminar with GM Smite on changes to locksmithing during the release of Lock Mastery aka LFM.

Q: Sayrena says, 'Please address the various degrees of damage a lockpick can suffer. Bends,
stress, snaps. Are those calculated with the fumble factor or is it intended that a fumble
will always result in a total break of a lockpick as we are all now experiencing. And, has
the frequency of fumbles been inceased? It seems they occur much more frequently then they
ever did before your lockpick changes.'

Smite Reponded with:

A: Ok, a lockpick can be damaged in 3 ways... well more than that, but 3 basic ways... It can
break outright, this is determined by the strength of the pick. Instead of breaking outright,
it can also be damaged. This depends on a number of things, but for the most part, it
subtracts damage points form the pick until it is repairs... Finally picks can be 'tweaked'.
this means bent, twisted, whatever. Depending on the numebr here, you can tweak a pick a few
times before damaging it. Or you might tweaka pick and twist the tip right off, breaking it
completely. When you finble, first we check if you break it outright, if not, we check if you
just damaged it, if not then we check if you tweaked it a bit. All of these can be repaired,
but there is always the chance that you will loose some max damage points, bonus, tweak
factor, etc when the pick is repaired or broken.

As usual, no specifics on exactly how much it can be damaged (modifier for picking and strength modifier), but it does show that a tweak/twist doesn't necessarily mean that the modifier was damaged yet.

After every break/repair, the modifier is affected, but it might not be damaged enough to knock it down a level in the LFM appraisal of that pick.

~Lori aka Horsefreak (One of the Many)
Re: Lockpicks 08/23/2012 08:27 AM CDT
>I last remember when we break a lockpick, its properties will drop once it's repaired & it won't be as good as when it's new.

I'll be offering a service during Frontier Days where I will restore lockpicks to like-new condition.

The cost for the service is as follows:
Material Cost Material Cost
copper 100 alum 8000
brass 200 vultite 10000
steel 300 rolaren 15000
gold 700 veniom 20000
silver 1000 kelyn 25000
ora 2000 invar 30000
glaes 3000 golvern 40000
mithril 5000 vaalin 50000
laje 6000

10k surcharge for fluff scripts, 50k surcharge for anything unusual.

Less expensive than buying a new pick, but more expensive than the cost of repair.

Is there a demand for this, and if so, are there any times people would prefer next week?

~Vanah
Re: Lockpicks 08/23/2012 01:13 PM CDT
Its the sort of thing people would want if they have nice alters. If you are thinking of doing this on other occasions, I'd suggest combining repair and alteration services and doing alters if there is low demand for repairs.

Generally speaking I don't have alters on lockpicks (I just have the one which was a picking contest prize, which I would get repaired if you did this early enough), because sooner or later its going to be broken enough that I want it replaced, but if there was a reasonable chance of getting a proper repair from time to time, that would change.

Would exception LM made picks get repaired to their original stats or standard vaalin?
Re: Lockpicks 08/23/2012 05:46 PM CDT

It is a neat idea, if this was something that was a regular thing ie quarterly, or spitfire/EG...I'd save my broken picks possibly if they were ones I had made myself. As it is, after I've broken a pick once I LM customize the color so I know it won't perform as well as it's metal would indicate, after I've broken it twice I use it for a deed at HS before making a new one. I'm not sure I have one I would bring to you next week.
Re: Lockpicks 08/23/2012 06:45 PM CDT
I have a couple I'll bring if I'm able to make it there to have it done, one I won at a lockpicking contest years ago and my earring lockpick. In general though, I rarely use my special picks since they'll eventually get broken no matter what I do. Like the other poster said, if it were possible to repair picks back to like new condition outside rare events like this I'd use them more and look for more unique picks to use on a regular basis... even if it cost more then buying new picks off the shelf or required 200+ ranks in lockpicking to repair them to that level.

As it is now, I just toss my picks when they break and make a new one.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lockpicks 08/23/2012 08:28 PM CDT
As far as I know, this service hasn't been offered before. It's one I would use on my PC. If I get bites, I might try to offer it more. I, as a player of a rogue, would like to see it a rogue skill and not a merchant service, but I am not involved with Dev.

I'll be offering the service with Tayberry, if you see her around.

~Vanah
Re: Lockpicks 08/24/2012 04:49 AM CDT
> I, as a player of a rogue, would like to see it a rogue skill and not a merchant service, but I am not involved with Dev.

The current system has advantages. There are wide ranges of mods that cannot be purchased but can be got to by using the degradation on repair to manufacture an appropriate pick.

I would consider it a serious nerf (it would cost upwards of 50 exp per box on a lot of boxes) to lose the ability to manufacture the right pick for the job.

I've got one pick that I'd pay Tayberry to repair. I've got 4 that I wouldn't let Tayberry touch even if you offered to pay me millions.