Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/14/2008 01:32 PM CDT
How does your character feel about Leya in terms of relationship?

- Outright worship?
- Queen?
- Mother?
- Sister?
- Crazy, cat-throwing aunt?

I'm curious about your profession and how this would play into it as well.

- Islyia (Leya is my home girl, yo)
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/14/2008 01:51 PM CDT
My cleric is converted to Leya and dedicated to her, though her worship is a bit different than that of many others.

She definitely would look upon Leya more as a protective older sister.

Check out the Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/15/2008 07:48 AM CDT
Cat-throwing aunt? Uh... part of me thinks there's a story there... and considering I have a cat I love, maybe I don't want to hear it.

Then again, when I was 4 or 5, there weren't many kids my age in the apartment community where we lived. I got pretty good about entertaining myself. My mom looked out the window one day and yelled at me, "Put down that stick, you'll get dirty!" I was swinging it in a wide circle over my head. Supposedly I said, "It no stick, Mommy! It purty kitty!" At this point I stopped swinging it, pick it up with two hands around its head, then said, "See!" She of course yelled at me to immediately let it go, which I did. After that, I had bad cat karma for about 16 years -- everyone of them I met, even the ones that owners claimed were gentle and sweet, hissed and scratched me.

Anyway...

If I had to pick any, it would be the older sister-type model. I've always seen her more as just a peer, an equal, and sometimes a mirror of oneself.

--A.

Bringing tiramisu and key lime pies to the masses everywhere!

"Wisdom is ofttimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar." ~ William Wordsworth, The Excursion
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/15/2008 08:20 AM CDT
Simpsons reference.

"I hate to say it, but Evarin's right."

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/15/2008 08:39 PM CDT
>>Cat-throwing aunt? Uh... part of me thinks there's a story there... and considering I have a cat I love, maybe I don't want to hear it.

Simpsons reference indeed.

>>If I had to pick any, it would be the older sister-type model. I've always seen her more as just a peer, an equal, and sometimes a mirror of oneself.

Is this because she's a lesser Arkati? Or just because of her personality?

- Islyia (soul searching, skirt chasing, there is a difference?)
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/16/2008 09:29 AM CDT
>"It no stick, Mommy! It purty kitty!"

I hear Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacey used to do the same thing.

You don't keep people parts in your freezer, do you, Andraste? Maybe under the two year old spaghetti sauce?

CH
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/16/2008 10:17 AM CDT
::weeps:: I was like 4 years old! I didn't pull wings off flies or torch ants with cigarettes... I barely keep meat in my freezer, TYVM!

As for the serious question... hmm, I hadn't really considered her lesser Arkati status into my figuring, but I suppose the influence could be there... probably more that, of all the known stories of the Arkatis, her story is the most humble, therefore, you can identify with her.

--A.

Bringing tiramisu and key lime pies to the masses everywhere!

"Wisdom is ofttimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar." ~ William Wordsworth, The Excursion
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 08/16/2008 01:33 PM CDT
Syl sees Leya as a matriarchal-sisterly entity.

As Andraste mentioned, her story seems to have more of a "human" feel to it rather than being chock full of mystical godliness, not to say there aren't such incidents, but the story certainly brings her down to our non-Arkati level much more than some of the other 'gods'.

That said, she still has extraordinary abilities and Arkati blood, so while Syl feels she can speak to her frankly, like one friend/sister to another, she has a healthy respect for the power that Leya does have available to her.

Its like Leya is that much much older mothering sister who has experienced much more of life, the one you'd go to for advice and guidance, and while you'd feel you could 'talk back' to her you were angry or in a crisis, you'd do so shaking in your shoes because she still weilds that aura of power.

I've always thought that Leya's lesser Arkati status in the minds of us mortals and the known details of her story is what makes her that much easier to relate to. To me, it makes for a much closer bond. Less serving and more honoring in nature.

- Syl, etc

The Wehnimer's runner stares at you in horror!
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 09/14/2008 07:51 AM CDT
I just now noticed this when breezing through, so a bit late. But I agree with what's been said. I've known and known of a lot of Leya followers from "back in the day" when Leya was quite popular and I don't recall any of them being heavy into a worshipping from afar or super religious kinda deal. It was fairly universal that her followers viewed her more as a mother/sister role model type of deity, even the clerics. I think some websites might still have logs of talks at player god festivals from different followers discussing that.

Zyllah
Re: Mother? Sister? Aunt? 09/14/2008 08:53 PM CDT
Thank you Zyllah. I've largely (99%) shelved Islyia, but Leya will always be one of my favorite Arkati because of the incredible interactions playing one of her clerics has brought.

- Islyia & Nixxi (gettin' weepy over memories, shush!)
AIM: GS4 Islyia