Festival of Contemplation ~ Laleena's Talk on Leya ~ Long 04/16/2005 02:39 PM CDT
Laleena strides a few steps forward.

Laleena says, "Unlike my companion, I can go on at length on this topic without feelin' the slightest bit stuffy fer it, so, I'm sure Mekthros will be happy to kick me again if I ramble too long."

The voice of Mekthros says, "Honored, even."

Laleena asks, "Yes, well. Don't let it go to yer head, hm?"

Laleena says, "Usually when I speak of Leya, I recount the tale of her life as it is known to us. Rarely do I actually get an opportunity to speak on the nature of her followin' itself." Pausing, she folds her hands behind her back, one hand clasping the opposite wrist. "I'm grateful to have this chance."

Laleena smiles.

Laleena says, "When considerin' Leya, I think an important detail to note 'bout the majority of her followers -- or those I have encountered -- is the way they regard her personally. In most relations with the Arkati, ye find them considered gods and, by extension, worshipped as such. There are prayers and rituals, formality and expectations upon which many feel required to stand."

Laleena cocks her head.

Laleena says, "That is not to say there are not those similar within Leya's own followin', but I've found it is more often the case that she is regarded as...well, a sort of ideal. She exists as a standard against which we measure ourselves and strive to one day achieve."

Laleena says, "In the simplest of terms, she is somethin' of a role model," loosening her hands from behind her back as she gestures wide. "To many, she IS a goddess, but I think perhaps to more, she is a sister figure, a mother -- both more approachable and more attainable than an ivory goddess set upon a raised dais."

Laleena leans back.

Laleena says, "Recent discoveries of what occurred after she threw down Soulingen, took up a dagger, and began to walk the world only support that evaluation. Rather than disappearin' from the lives of mortals, she became more visible and more involved."

Laleena says, "Somethin' we all like in our Arkati from time to time."

Laleena says, "Wounded women, both of body and of spirit, were visited by a female, dark of hair and blue of eye -- she taught them individually to be self-sufficient, to be capable and strong, and to have confidence in themselves. As a group, she taught them how to rely on each other, how to bring the best of themselves together, how to be as one without losin' what made them unique within the whole."

(Laleena gazes over the faces in the crowd, nodding slowly as her voice falls still.)

Laleena says, "It was a lesson they took to heart and thus became the first members of the group now known as Leya's Amazons."

Laleena winks at Deavon.

Laleena says, "The remainin' members of that group follow what we call the "Way". I realize it's a rather ambiguous term and one probably utilized by many faiths, so I will endeavor to further explain."

Laleena scratches her ear.

(Laleena takes a step to her left, beginning a slow pace at the head of those gathered as she rests a hand on the hilt of the longsword at her hip, idly stroking the pommel with her thumb.)

Laleena says, "Jest outside of Wehnimer's, her shrine sits back in a wooded glade. It is a tomb, in all honesty; one she built fer her lover, slain by her own hand, Egan. Within, there are four primary niches, each set at a main cardinal point -- North, South, East, and West."

Laleena says, "Respectively, they are named -- Strength, Mercy, Day, and Night. While the concepts might seem straightforward, there is more to them than their simplicity implies. Our understandin' of these aspects is what sets the path."

Laleena folds her arms over her chest.

Laleena says, "To begin...Strength. Obviously, a strong arm."

Laleena says, "Leya IS Kai's daughter, afterall, and it would hardly be appropriate to ferget that she, like her father, excelled in all athletic endeavors and competitions. She was quite skilled with bow and sword, as well as other martial occupations."

Laleena grins.

Laleena says, "While it would not be wholly inappropriate to leave it at that and look no further, I think there is a more intimate understandin' to be had. Though physical strength is admittedly hard won, internal fortitude is an even more difficult discipline to master. It requires a sense of self that allows ye to act with confidence and in the face of events (and companions) that might sway ye. It allows ye to trust yerself not only to keep yer faith, but act upon that faith."

(Laleena crosses back in front of the crowd, keeping her eyes turned out to the gazes watching.)

Laleena says, "Mercy. Many tend to jump immediately to a reaction akin to pity when they consider this aspect. Perhaps a few even envision some sense of self-righteous compassion. Though compassion DOES play a part, it is not the whole of Mercy."

Laleena shakes her head.

Laleena says, "I think the more obvious part of Mercy is best demonstrated by Leya's formation of the original Amazons. She did not shower them with gifts, pamper them, or provide fer them. She taught them how to hone a dagger, how to heal themselves, both within and without, as well as how to use their surroundin's to sustain themselves."

Laleena tilts her head up.

Laleena says, "The underlyin' aspect of Mercy, I think, is wisdom. I'm sure many of ye are aware how destructive any blade can be without the wisdom to use it properly." Falling silent, she draws her longsword from her belt and easily raises it, holding it at arm's length, almost as an extension of the appendage. "Most obviously, the danger lies foremost fer those that stand against its point, but it should not be fergotten that the wielder can also be cut." Tilting her wrist from side to side, the blade of the sword glints in the light before she returns it to her belt. "Strength, without Mercy to guide it, is almost useless and dangerous at best."

(Laleena stands still in a thoughtful silence before she turns fully back to the crowd and once again rests a hand against the hilt of her sword.)

Laleena says, "Day."

Laleena ponders.

Laleena shakes her head.

Laleena asks, "Day and Night. It is difficult to speak of one without speakin' immediately of the other as I feel they are intrinsically connected. I'm sure what comes most obviously to mind is light and dark." She immediately raises a hand, a plea for heightened attention. "Please notice I did not say THE Light and THE Dark. 'Round here, we get those terms tossed 'round so...generously and easily, a body could get sick to death of hearin' 'em. So, fer the time bein', let's ferget we even know 'em, hm?"

Laleena folds her hands behind her back.

Laleena asks, "Basically, obviously, in the simplest of ways and the most elementary of terms," gesturing with her hands in a circular motion as if to punctuate her words, "sun comes up, it grows light. Moons come up, it gets dark." She pauses, a wry grin breaking on her lips. "Easy, no?"

Laleena says, "The entire process is one of renewal; as the tides ebb and flow, the moons wax and wane, so does life. I think we're all soundly acquainted with that fact. We see it around us in the seasons, within ourselves as we age. We grow to strength and it fades as we pass youth behind and become burdened with age. All processes revolve on this cycle."

Laleena says, "More than that though, I believe that the inclusion of both Day and Night demonstrates on Leya's part an understandin' of the capacity within ourselves for duality -- the capacity fer and the ultimate existence of a duality."

Laleena says, "I believe I heard someone say at the beginnin' of this festival somethin' similar, but I think it bears repeatin' -- light without dark can have no definition, jest as dark without light is meanin'less. Expectin' to live as purely one or the other is an exercise in futility 'cause the existence of one necessitates the presence of the other. I believe Leya understands that...intimately."

Laleena cocks her head.

Laleena says, "I mentioned Egan, her lover, earlier. A Vaalorian elf with duties to face, Egan left Leya to join his family in the Undead Wars. Leya, actin' on the best of intentions, followed him into battle. Aided by a ruse woven by Luukos, Leya mistook Egan fer one of the enemy and slew him."

Laleena tilts her head up.

Laleena says, "It was love that first drove her to draw Soulingen, but it was her bloodlust that enthralled her, blinded her. In the proper situation, either motivation has its place, I think, but in this instance, one overtook the other and tragedy was the result. I think Leya understands that the the virtue lies not in banishin' one or the other, but in learnin' to balance them, in acceptin' that they both exist. The challenge is how ye cope with that knowledge."

Laleena glances around the room.

Laleena says, "Now. While I think the core of what I've said 'bout these aspects would be echoed by my Sisters, the shadin' I've colored 'em with is my own. Take this fer what it has been. My perception in experience."

Laleena says, "Each is entitled to his or her own."

Laleena smiles.

Laleena nods to you.

You ask, "Does any'un ha'e any questions fer Lal'?"

Laleena rocks back on her heels.

Crovenant deeply says, "How did he die her love."

Laleena asks, "Ye heard me mention Soulingen?"

Laleena cocks her head at Crovenant.

Crovenant nods to Laleena.

Laleena says, "It was a sword created by Fash'lo'nae. It came into her father's protection, and later fell into her hands. It...traps the souls of those it kills within the blade itself."

Crovenant deeply says, "I see."

Laleena says, "Luukos, durin' the battle, made him appear to her as one of the enemy and, in her rush, she..well. Did with it what most folks do with swords."

Laleena says, "The weapon lies still upon an altar in her shrine."

Laleena nods to Rinika.

Laleena asks, "Yes?"

Rinika says, "O."

Rinika slowly says, ".. Er, dath's what ah were goin' t'say. ."

Crovenant deeply says, "She kilt her love."

Rinika smiles sheepishly, adding, ".. Ah've seen dath sword."

Speaking to Crovenant, Laleena says, "Yes, she did."

Laleena grins.

Crovenant deeply says, "Thats why imma stay single cant trust a woman."

Laleena chuckles to herself.

Laleena says, "I feel confident in sayin' man or woman could have made that mistake."

Crovenant deeply says, "What happend after that may i ask."

Laleena asks, "After he was killed?"

Crovenant deeply says, "Yes."

Crovenant deeply says, "Did leya get her fathers help."

Laleena says, "She returned with his body to a glade which her father, Kai, had created fer her. She built his tomb there and laid him to rest."

Crovenant deeply says, "Sad story."

Kairyu quietly asks, "Why did they not seek Lorminstra's aide and attempt to return him to life?"

Laleena says, "I think that Kai was well acquainted with the sorrow that comes with the death of love. And Leya, like him, I believe sought to deal with it alone."

Laleena says, "I cain't say. His soul is not the only that resides within the blade."

_
Nyrithorn says in elven, "She's speaking psycho speak. One of our brothers killed our mother for speaking it."
www.gemstone.game-host.org/towncorpse
And www.gemstone.game-host.org/festivalofcontemplation
www.gemstone.game-host.org/gypsy