Perhaps third time is the charm? 02/27/2004 11:01 PM CST
Very plain and simple, I should say. I have very fond memories of the Amazons, both tries. Perhaps that is all it shall be, memories, or perhaps more. I find myself with a bit more time these days, than I have had in over a year to devote to GS. But, not enough to honestly understand the average common player these days, since I barely stick my head in-game anymore.
BUT, I would love to begin, or find something, and oddly I find myself pulled more and more towards Mistytwilight's greatest belief. Her goddess, Leya. Now my question is, do others still worship her that strongly as the Amazons of Leya did? And if so, would others be interested in forming a group such as that? It wasn't easy, probably never will be, but it sure was a whole lot of fun when the Amazons were a living breathing thing in Elanthia.

-'Chelle, Mistytwilight's muse.
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 02/27/2004 11:41 PM CST
>Now my question is, do others still worship her that strongly as the Amazons of Leya did? And if so, would others be interested in forming a group such as that? <

My cleric is a very devout follower of Leya, but her beliefs are a good deal different than those of the old Amazon group.

In that vein, I'm not exactly sure how to answer the second question simply because any group with the same sort of specific belief system regarding Leya that the Amazons had wouldn't fit for my Leya-worshipper at all.
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 03/01/2004 08:46 AM CST
>>Now my question is, do others still worship her that strongly as the Amazons of Leya did? And if so, would others be interested in forming a group such as that?

*Waves from the back of the PENDANTLESS crowd.* Hello. Still here. Sniffs.

In all seriousness though, I've been toying with the idea of a PRO for some time. Drumming up interest is just one of the time-consuming factors that's kept it from blossoming into any sort of solid reality.

So, for cripes sake, Misty. Message me already. Geez. ;)

- Laleena, the lonely little Amazon
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 03/01/2004 07:00 PM CST
>> In that vein, I'm not exactly sure how to answer the second question simply because any group with the same sort of specific belief system regarding Leya that the Amazons had wouldn't fit for my Leya-worshipper at all.

I'm curious about why you think the Amazon's belief system wouldn't have fit your Leya-worshipper, and what you think from your perception, that a Leya-worshipper should hold as a belief?

--A.
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 03/01/2004 10:00 PM CST
>I'm curious about why you think the Amazon's belief system wouldn't have fit your Leya-worshipper, and what you think from your perception, that a Leya-worshipper should hold as a belief?<

My perception of the Amazons was they did focus a great deal on the prowess of Leya in battle. Maybe that is a misconception on my part, but it is what I garnered.

My cleric's beliefs in Leya focus on the deity's intense feelings of responsibility, as demostrated with regard to her accidental killing of her lover and her reaction to same, and the goddess' deep-rooted precepts of devotion to family, demonstrated by her obedience to Kai until that obedience might mean her green lover's death in battle.

My gal sees Leya's warrior-side as more reaction to necessity and an expression of her daughterly devotion to Kai than anything more... personally profound. This is because a long time ago my cleric was fortunate enough to have received answer to a commune by Leya. During the commune Leya did not speak, but sent a vision encompassing the depth of her pain and anguish over her lover's death. So that side of Leya from which sprang her unique sense of permanent accountability for that incident, despite the circumstances which made that death accidental on her part, is what my cleric attachs most to the worship of Leya.
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 03/02/2004 02:19 AM CST
>> My perception of the Amazons was they did focus a great deal on the prowess of Leya in battle. Maybe that is a misconception on my part, but it is what I garnered.

You're right, it is a bit of a misconception, in my opinion. It is true that this aspect was very visible, but there was so much more!

From what I witnessed, running the Wanton Memorial Gauntlet was just one of the many events and rituals the Tribe would perform during the year. Of course they would be designed to deal with prowess, for two very good reasons -- Leya is the Master of Martial Arts and Patroness of Amazons and Martial Arts. What more fitting way to honor her? Dame Wanton Destruction was the first female knight of the lands, I also believe one of the first Legend warrioresses, and dubbed a knight due to her prowess in battle. It seems a perfect fit, according to the documentation.

But at other times of the year, the Tribe of Amazons would focus on prayers and events that reflected the four aspects of the statues in the niches of Leya's Shrine - Day, Night, Strength, and Mercy.

Mercy was often spent helping others, inviting people to come share in their abilibites: imbeddings, blessings, spells, lockpicking, and the giving away of personal effects.

Night was for the tribe only. They'd perform a short service of rededication and do a personal sharing about the past year, with a sharing of hopes for the year to come .

Strength was honored in the spring, through prayer, and through the games/gauntlet mentioned above.

Day was another tribe-only event, but instead of being more reflective and solemn, as was Night, this was a more vibrant celebration with dancing, music, other entertainment and the sharing of food.

In between the four major events there were often prayer sessions, followed by discussion, stories, hunts, etc.

I would say that the tragedy faced by Leya in that battle where Egan was lost was seldom far from the minds from the Amazons.

>> My gal sees Leya's warrior-side as more reaction to necessity and an expression of her daughterly devotion to Kai than anything more... personally profound.

With this I have to disagree. Leya was well known for her martial prowess from the many games and tournaments that she participated in, long before she was reunited with her father, or even knew that Kai was her father. I don't think the desire to compete was out of necessity or an expression of daughterly devotion.

From the official Story of Leya:
>> "Leya had never been told about her parents. When she asked her aunts and grandmere as a child, she was told only that her mother had died expressing her love for the newborn daughter and that her illustrious father had been pulled from her side by matters of state. Leya grew up surrounded by love and affection, missing her parents only because of her desire to share her love with them."

I wouldn't call her entry into the battle at Egan's side something done out of necessity or devotion to Kai, either. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I like to believe the reason she went was out of love.

I really don't think that your cleric's ideals about Leya and the Tribe's are really that diverse, except for the Martial Arts aspect they practiced during Strength.

I was sad to see the Tribe dissolve, I understand why it had to, but I also know that every member of the Tribe still around today is still as much a Leya devotee today as they were then.

I'm glad Leya inspires such devotion, however one comes to her path.

--A.
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 03/29/2004 01:07 PM CST
*Runs over from the Kai folder*

Yeeeeah Leya! Wooo Hooo!

~Guarr, misses the amazons
Re: Perhaps third time is the charm? 03/30/2004 04:57 AM CST
...Yes. Amazons are amusing. Would be nice to see an active strong group.

Wulfhen