Prev_page Previous 1
Wish List 09/24/2010 02:09 PM CDT
Had no idea where to post this, but this seems close? I wish there was a list of every item currently in the game and its properties. That way we'd know what Legendary Artifacts were still around and which ones aren't. Something like this would be pretty cool, I think. No idea if it's feasible or not, though. Guessing not. Ah well, wishful thinking. :)
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 02:36 PM CDT
One has been started -- most of the information is pretty good, and it represents a fairly good library for items of yore. Of course, it isn't absolutely complete. . .

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Category:Legendary_Items

Doug
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:30 PM CDT
Wow, some of that stuff is really out of date. Notably charging crystals.

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:31 PM CDT
But it's still an awesome list.

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:39 PM CDT
So out of date and wrong in numerous places.

Plus I think the OP was looking for is what is still here, not just released, which is a huge difference.
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:40 PM CDT
The list is a good start though, and a good place. Maybe a few more people should learn to edit the list, myself included.

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:40 PM CDT
All agreed.

Perhaps a combined updating is required?

Doug
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:58 PM CDT
I'd pitch in Doug if I can help some.

~Paul
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 03:59 PM CDT
>I'd pitch in Doug if I can help some.
~Paul

Good point. Just having Doug go through his lockers would beef that list up pretty good.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 04:27 PM CDT
I can think of a few things that belong on that list that I don't see:

The four foot lockers, or contents thereof, from the sheruvian temple.
Terate's void blade.
The rift orbs of the chosen.
The ethereal string.
The Book of Lorminstra.
The tattoos of Castle Anwyn.

I'm sure there are many others we could add.

I love the fact though, that there is a category called "legendary cudgels." The one that's there is probably the only cudgel worthy of the list.

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 04:47 PM CDT
The Thingol Diamond is not on the list either.

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 08:31 PM CDT
... I never realized armor scribers were "legendary."

Rather, what's being considered as being "legendary?"

If pay event-released items count, the list is substantially lacking in the Promise and Anfelt areas.

But, I don't know. To me, there's a step or two between "auction item" and "legendary item."

~Eugenides, The Last

You monotonously drone, "Bwaaaaaaaaaah."

Aydan monotonously drones, "Bwaaaaaaaah."

A barn owl says, "Bwaaaaaaaaah."

From nearby, you hear Bristenn yell, "Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
Re: Wish List 09/24/2010 10:08 PM CDT
>But, I don't know. To me, there's a step or two between "auction item" and "legendary item."
~Eugenides, The Last

Eh, that's more a matter of perspective... and a perspective that has seen, and owned, more than many in the game. It's easy for someone like yourself, and if we're being honest, myself as well, to say, 'Well, just because it was at a GM/God auction, it's not legendary'. For the many, many people that have never owned, or had friends that owned, anything in that upper range of items, I think there's little difference.

Although, yeah, I'm not sure an armor scriber counts.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 01:19 PM CDT
>It's easy for someone like yourself, and if we're being honest, myself as well, to say, 'Well, just because it was at a GM/God auction, it's not legendary'. For the many, many people that have never owned, or had friends that owned, anything in that upper range of items, I think there's little difference.

I still felt the same back when all I had was the clothes a random person gave to me fifteen minutes after I created my character (does anyone do this anymore?), looking at Ciston's list and such. 10x falchions and shields? Self chargers? Meh. Very nice! But not legendary.

In my opinion, a legendary item is something that has a name or story associated with it. An item that has been made part of the game somehow. Something people still talk about - "That guy had those things, and did this, and everything died... so the bad guys had to send in more to try to stop him, but he killed their leader and saved the town. It was awesome."

Picking an item off of a list as being legendary because of its stats might be fine and well, but for some time now it's somewhat common for items to disappear from the game the very night they're won (or soon after).

Instead of, say, being used to save Ta'Illistim from a giant, acid-spewing radish bent on tilling all the soil in Elanthia to raise its radish offspring.

I'd say somewhere around half of the things on auction/raffle lists fall to the wayside, forgotten to all but those who still actively seek them. With the population drop, alts, and such... so very much never sees the light of day. And if it doesn't see the light of day, how could it become part of legend?

Time is a factor, too, for me. As an example, the things released at EG '09 aren't legendary (to me), because they're only a year old. There's still a bit to see if they withstand the test of time.

~Eugenides, The Last

Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 02:08 PM CDT
<<Euginides thesis on "what is legend?">>

This is in large part why I mentioned the things I did that weren't on the list. The Book of Lorminstra is to me legendary, because it was a key part of the story of the first Griffin Sword War, yet it has zero power, and isn't even spiffy by today's standards. The same applies to the tattoos of castle Anwyn. The orbs of the chosen, terate's void blade, and other artifacts from that quest are all legendary AND powerful.

But in spite of the idea of "what is legend?" a lot of people do revel over the numbers and the power, and that's just fine too. I think it's ok to have them both on the same list, in part because making two lists would be a royal pain and involve a lot of judgement calls. Who would be the arbiter of what is legendary?

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 02:13 PM CDT
<<Who would be the arbiter of what is legendary?>>

Me!

Needs an interesting back story or amazing power (or both)

10x vanilla armor? Cool, rare...but meh.

10x vanilla armor worn by Lord Ratstomper McPowerlevel the first lord in all of elanthia...i think that might qualify due to the history behind it.

It does get a little fuzzy and subjective, and it's not like extra items being on the list are really going to ruin someone's day.
Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 02:33 PM CDT
That ghost gauntlet that turns into a bow sounds damn spiffy and legendary to me.

GBB
Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 03:52 PM CDT
>In my opinion, a legendary item is something that has a name or story associated with it. An item that has been made part of the game somehow. Something people still talk about - "That guy had those things, and did this, and everything died... so the bad guys had to send in more to try to stop him, but he killed their leader and saved the town. It was awesome."
Last

I agree up to a point, but consider this. Would you remember the 'a vultite falchion' (4x nothing special) that Bob used to help slay the troll prince, or Jane's 'serrated hatchet of pure golvern' (10x, mcw, self mana camo) that was also used to help slay said troll?

I'm not saying that just because an item is mechanically superior to most things in the game automatically qualifies for 'legend' status, but if you're going to make a list of things like that it bears noting.

Listing the historical aspect, and mechanical should be considered.

On a personal note, I think my hoe is pretty damn legendary, if only for the absurd amount of coin I spent on a mechanically useless item. I, however am nowhere close to being famous, or have killed anyone in some epic storyline, etc etc.

-farmer

-Strath

Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 04:07 PM CDT
That hoe is epic for what its done...

Krakii once remarked, "Darn good hoe."

As far a epic level items, its true, their is a difference between Terate's blade and Thalior's staff, vs a stock 10x db cloak, but both are items of power, while two are also items with a history.

A good database of what has existed, and whats still around is still a valuable resource.

Since I have a special fondness for orphan weapon classes, I keep a pretty complete list of all the good and even stock stuff of thrown and archery classes, that isn't up on Krakiipedia and likely someone should post it.

~Paul

Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 10:51 PM CDT
Why bother going to the effort to make the accurate list? With all the compulsive hoarding from a few people and the fact that most of this stuff doesn't see the light of day you might as well make stuff up.

-the Icemulian Ranger
Re: Wish List 09/25/2010 11:52 PM CDT
>Why bother going to the effort to make the accurate list? With all the compulsive hoarding from a few people and the fact that most of this stuff doesn't see the light of day you might as well make stuff up.
-the Icemulian Ranger

For fun.
A possible future goal.
Historical reference.
Personal information.
Ego.
Etc
etc

-farmer

-Strath

Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 12:04 AM CDT
>Why bother going to the effort to make the accurate list? With all the compulsive hoarding from a few people and the fact that most of this stuff doesn't see the light of day you might as well make stuff up.-the Icemulian Ranger

Speaking as a compulsive hoarder, so what?

There are a lot of people who keep and use this stuff, and keep the traditions alive. Krakii has more amazing stuff that he admits from jeebus, nearly 2 decades in GS, Robert, we need to talk. Ardwen, me, etc. So we been around for a long time, so we pulled in a lot of stuff.

Speaking only for me, I been selling a lot in the past few years, getting rid of pieces I don't need and stragetically buying what I can use, and upgrading things I own from prem points, and hitting merchants and events.

Hoarding is nothing wrong with, heck, the merchant economy is one of the better things about the game, that you can buy something decent and upgrade it to incredible with time and effort. And use it forever, unlike a lot of games where your green axe of K'da'Nah is no longer useful because you gained 5 levels.

A good, comprehensive list is a great idea, whats out there ever (cause the GMs can reissue them if they know they exist), and whats out there currently (I'd share my list).

~Paul
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 12:48 AM CDT
If you earned it, it's yours to do whatever with...but it is sad to see truly amazing items lockered.

Nothing inherently wrong with it, just kind of sad. It's unfortunate the economy is such that it encourages hoarding so much.
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 09:26 AM CDT
>Why bother going to the effort to make the accurate list? With all the compulsive hoarding from a few people and the fact that most of this stuff doesn't see the light of day you might as well make stuff up? ~IR

>...but it is sad to see truly amazing items lockered. ~Alsthar

Of note, a lot of the "truly amazing" items that have been taken out of lockers for use have been downgraded (read; nerfed) because they are simply "too amazing" by today's standards, or someone "abuses" them in some way.

It's really painful to have the abilities of an item cut in half.

Other "truly amazing" items are broken in some way to where getting them updated and fixed would, again, change what they are. Or, they would require a lot of effort on the staff's part to fix - some to the point of having to remake the item. More often than not, they remain broken and lockered.

Some hoarders loan their toys out (only to see them disappear from the game or later get sold).

Some hoarders give things away for free (only to see them disappear from the game or later get sold).

Some hoarders are more inclined to sell things than you might think.

If you want something, track it down and try to get it rather than complain about it. If the problem is that you can't afford the price, grind your typing fingers to the bone to work for it, sell other things, wheel and deal, etc.

~Eugenides, The Last

Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 10:08 AM CDT
>If you want something, track it down and try to get it rather than complain about it. If the problem is that you can't afford the price, grind your typing fingers to the bone to work for it, sell other things, wheel and deal, etc.~Eugenides, The Last

Yep, I recently found myself in need of coin for a few things I really wanted (points for a 10x enchant, and a 10x db cloak) so I sold a few things, even put some epic items up on the block to see what people were interested in. I sold enough to get the coins, and kept everything else but yah, people will sell things, Doug does as well, Ardwen is you nag him enough, but other than Speaker (who is a black hole) and Neimanz (cause he isn't around enough these days), you should at least have a fighting chance for an item you want.
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 10:53 AM CDT
Stop telling people to nag me dammit! Let me hide my loot in a cave and stare at it in peace you hoarder you!

SPLAT!! Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 11:11 AM CDT
Some people keep quiet about their truely amazing items for a number of reasons. Amongst them are what Eugenides mentioned (fear of nerfing), but also because they don't want to come off as sounding vain, and because they don't want complete strangers walking up to them and pestering them with: "what will it take to get you to sell..." Now, the last isn't so bad now that Tsin is gone, but some things are best enjoyed in relative solitude.

Kerl
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 01:46 PM CDT
<<If you want something, track it down and try to get it rather than complain about it. If the problem is that you can't afford the price, grind your typing fingers to the bone to work for it, sell other things, wheel and deal, etc. >>

I wasn't complaining about anything at all. Just stating a fact: when fun things disappear from the game (to lockers, cancellation, scorned lovers logging into your account and tossing them down the well, etc.) it's tragic as those items are one of the best things about gemstone.
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 03:30 PM CDT
>Some people keep quiet about their truely amazing items for a number of reasons. Amongst them are what Eugenides mentioned (fear of nerfing), but also because they don't want to come off as sounding vain, and because they don't want complete strangers walking up to them and pestering them with: "what will it take to get you to sell..." Now, the last isn't so bad now that Tsin is gone, but some things are best enjoyed in relative solitude. -Kerl

Spot on. Some times you just don't want it out there that you own a certain item because you don't want people trying to buy it from you when you have no intent to sell it.

-Olivier/Chivalrous

Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 09:41 PM CDT
(is guilty of this)

Though, generally, if someone just says, "Hey, I'm not intrested in selling." I'll drop it. But I've nabbed some of my best buys this way; just by asking someone if they want to sell/trade something they have that I'm intrested in.
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 11:24 PM CDT
>Of note, a lot of the "truly amazing" items that have been taken out of lockers for use have been downgraded (read; nerfed) because they are simply "too amazing" by today's standards, or someone "abuses" them in some way.

>It's really painful to have the abilities of an item cut in half.

First thing that comes to mind is Ciston's crystal ball that got nerfed once Tsin got it and started teleporting all over the place. Same with the Darkstone key. Neither of which had any effect on combat, but are in my opinion the two best items around. Except maybe Enegue's eye laser goggles or whatever they are, but I never got to see those in action. Anyone have a clip?

Simu should adopt a legendary item policy where if an item is over X years old, no GMs are allowed to mess with it unless it's for a bug fix.

>I wasn't complaining about anything at all. Just stating a fact: when fun things disappear from the game (to lockers, cancellation, scorned lovers logging into your account and tossing them down the well, etc.) it's tragic as those items are one of the best things about gemstone.

True, but it's kind of a catch 22 when GMs nerf stuff once they start getting used again. Which do you think would be better? A ridiculously awesome item collecting dust in a locker, or a ridiculously awesome item coming out of the locker and then being neutered 2 weeks later?

~ Methais
Re: Wish List 09/26/2010 11:35 PM CDT
Half the items in my lcokers will never get used just for that reason Methais, having had more then one item gutted, I've learned my lessons and burned all the bridges I care too.

SPLAT!! Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 01:45 AM CDT
<<True, but it's kind of a catch 22 when GMs nerf stuff once they start getting used again. Which do you think would be better? A ridiculously awesome item collecting dust in a locker, or a ridiculously awesome item coming out of the locker and then being neutered 2 weeks later?>>

The latter, without question. What's the point of it being at full power if you never use it in the first place? I'll concede a few special exceptions though...like Enegue's sword. Which what was the last count...like 12 years now without even being unsheathed?

That being said I wish the random nerfs of older items would stop. It's pretty much just as depressing but, to me, it's at least better knowing the things were put to good use before becoming that shell of their former glory.
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 07:19 AM CDT
If there was a way for Simu to create and update list of items currently in game and their properties, then once something "legendary" was officially lost to the ether it could be reintroduced via raffle or auction. If not the same item (due to alteration rules or something), then a different item with the same properties. I'd pay a monthly fee to have such a list.
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 07:39 AM CDT
Was thinking, maybe the list of <register>ed items seems like a great place to start. That should list the item and its properties. An anonymous searchable/browsable database of registered items on the website or something?
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 09:36 AM CDT
"I love the fact though, that there is a category called "legendary cudgels." The one that's there is probably the only cudgel worthy of the list." -- Kerl

"a massive troll thighbone cudgel" -- http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Legendary_Cudgels

I thought that item looked awfully familiar. <nod>

Vivaldi, if only your character were Hispanic. You could actually say things like, "Papi's got a good hoe" and still be entirely within Policy. <shake head>
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 09:46 AM CDT
"Though, generally, if someone just says, "Hey, I'm not intrested in selling." I'll drop it. But I've nabbed some of my best buys this way; just by asking someone if they want to sell/trade something they have that I'm intrested in." -- DungeonCrawlers

I nagged Heartpierced for something like five years (every six or eight months I would drop him an ICQ--or, after AOL bought Mirabilis, I'd send an email--to see if his "want list" had changed any) before the golvern multi-form rod wound up in Ardwen's hand.
Who was also in possession of the vultite rod, and willing to work tradesies so I ended with possession of the full set, barring the +50 eog original version (which I still hope to pry from... Rozack's? Rayzor's? grasping hands some day).
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 10:30 AM CDT
>>"a massive troll thighbone cudgel" -- http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Legendary_Cudgels

Nice loresong...yet you can't cuss/curse for fear of violating some ESRB rating.

America, land where killing babies gets you a lower rating than cussing does. /rant

Sorry, I shouldn't have derailed the thread any because I admit, I've enjoyed it thoroughly so far. It's just one of those random things that always jerks my chain.

As for releasing legendary items, weakened or not, back into the world....and/or taking them out of lockers. Well, first off, I simply can't afford any of them. A percentage of the players can. The same percentage (plus maybe 5% population of the new rich) that already owns them. So, first, they'd stay mostly within the current group that owns them. Secondly, hiding them in lockers defeats the entire purpose of their creation.

I do understand the owners desire to see them untouched is two fold. One, they are a reminder of days past, friends passed and more glorious times. Two, they lose value cutting into possible profits or become less than what they were. In response, if they are stuck in a locker, then no one else can ever be given the chance to recall the glory days, glorious adventurers or the power of things in the golden age of Gemstone. You are already absurdly wealthy in so many regards, that losing 20% of an item's silver value really should not be a concern at this point. What are you honestly holding onto those billions of silvers in items accomplishing for you? A less powerful version of an item, is still an item in use instead of gathering rust and dust, that no one even realizes still exists. Also, it gives new blood a chance to reconnect with the past greats of the game. I could say, I am using Giantshield's <insert item>, Boomsplat's <weapon>, Primum's <armor> or Morfred's <whatever>. Sorry, those folks may have owned nothing special but they are all names that are significant to me, and just used for examples.

I think that's why I, as a player, appreciate the new class of legendary items over the old ones. It's also why I see more value in owning a set of FGB or a fel-hafter than some item you are scared to use. Give me one of those spirit gauntlet bow thingies any day over something not de-Iced and untouched in 12 years.

Having said all of that, I expect zero changes in the way that current legendary items are held or whom they are held by. People are set in their ways and habits. I really can't blame them either, since they are the owners.

~Galenok
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 10:48 AM CDT
Someone needs to implement a LOAN command where you can LOAN someone the item for x amount of days and then at the end a team of goblins show up and pry it away from you, and bring it back to the owner.

You guys could charge rental fees so people could feel uber for a week, and you get a steady stream o free silvers! It'd be like getting royalties for being awesome.
Re: Wish List 09/27/2010 11:32 AM CDT
>Someone needs to implement a LOAN command where you can LOAN someone the item for x amount of days and then at the end a team of goblins show up and pry it away from you, and bring it back to the owner.

There was a GM working on that, but there are some very big issues with it. One being that you have to come up with a way to deal with what happens if the loanee never logs in again. (Could probably be dealt with by sending the item to some limbo area whenever the loanee logs out.)

The biggest issue though is item loss (and this is an even bigger issue in plat where we first discussed it). What happens if you're disarmed? If the loaner would get the item back regardless, then what's to stop people from using LOAN to get around any item-loss mechanic? If the loaner doesn't get the item back in that case, you're still not going to pry that awesome weapon out of someone's hands, even for a week.

- Greminty
Prev_page Previous 1