death weapons 02/17/2012 01:06 PM CST

Recently been playing around with a golem deathaxe. Here's what I've found out so far:

Any given swing appears to have 3 possible results, and it appears to be completely random as to whether you get a normal swing, a swing in which the aura brightens, or a swing that flares another swing.
The second swing also does appear to be a flare, in that it ALWAYS makes contact and does damage, and there is no visible roll associated with the second swing, and contact must be made for the second swing to occur.
I can find no purpose for the brightening aura, as it does not have to happen between swings with flares.
Also, the aura around the weapon always appears dim, no matter how many times it has brightened.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light upon the purpose of the brightening aura. Is there another ability with this weapon that I'm missing? Also, when these came out I remember it being rumored that they were "sharpened/weighted" vs their set creature. Wondering about this well. Anything anyone can contribute would be appreciated.

A red-hulled airship stained in tears crashes into Solhaven with a "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound.
Re: death weapons 02/17/2012 03:42 PM CST
The AS bonus doubles against the set creature (so a +15 "rat deathdagger" would be +30 if you swing it at, say, a fire 'rat'). Note that it is based on the noun used in-game, so "a troll deathsword" would double against a hill troll, forest troll, stone troll, et cetera... but NOT against "a 'troll' king", since the noun used is 'king'.

My belief is that the brightening aura is just flavor-text, the weapon getting frisky that it's being used.
Re: death weapons 02/17/2012 04:35 PM CST
Thanks, Krakii. I had hoped you'd respond to this.

A red-hulled airship stained in tears crashes into Solhaven with a "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound.
Re: death weapons 02/18/2012 08:44 AM CST
"Thanks, Krakii. I had hoped you'd respond to this." -- KayB6

I recently realized that I've had a blank [i.e. "unset"] death-weapon sitting in a locker for fourteen and a half years. (I was the original purchaser at the 1997 Premium Auction.) The only time it's come out, has been to move from the locker of Krakii [the two-handed weapon swinger] to the locker of [the Flail-Boy Paladin]. Heh.

Sooner or later I'll have to have that character actually hunt some of the critters it's intended for... :)
Re: death weapons 02/21/2012 04:18 AM CST

You know whats amusing Robert, I recalled that you had an unused one from some long ago trade discussions, I assume from when I traded you the last morpher,