Aeonelas' Journal, part 1: Kai (and Koar) 05/05/2017 04:41 PM CDT
<posted at the local cleric's guild, among hundreds of other leaflets and adverts. OOC replies are fine.>

It’s spring and I’ve been here in Ta’Vaalor for a few months now. Everyday, I go to the temple for a few hours to meditate and listen for a voice or a sign from the gods that I am to become their student. The temple itself is beautiful. It isn’t true what they say about Ta’Vaalorians, they’re aloof and serious sometimes, but they mean well, and they’ve got their own style of fun to be had. The thought of the thick city walls between me and the haunted graveyard outside that’s rumored to be full of cursed undead is a very nice thought when I’m tucked away at night. I stay in a nice little room for theology students by the cleric’s guild down the way, so it’s very close, which is convenient.

The temple itself is breathtaking, and ancient. The gods outside are beautiful as well, and handsome, and a feeling of immensity of power and grandeur surges over one caught up in the holiness of the perfection of art. The cleric’s shop has an amazing and huge golden drake statue and I found a little crystal drake necklace there. If you’re in Ta’Vaalor that shop is a must see, they have just about everything relating to drakes and all of the Liabo Arkati.

Outside the temple, the statues of Koar and Eonak remind me of my uncles a bit, stoic, busy, all-knowing, and responsible. Kai reminds me of my brothers. I did a little combat training with a fellow journeyman, not sure what he does actually, but his name is Ravicta. He suggested I study up on Kai. I had somehow forgotten from my studies that Kai is known for his brawling skills, and I’ve trained for it as I’m damned good at wrestling, especially when I’m beating up on my bigger sisters. If I ever make it through my journeyman hood I’ll be able to afford a Hammer of Kai perhaps. The crown will let me repay my seminary scholarship as long as I spend a year tending to the dead in Ta’Vaalor after I pass my testing.

I do miss my family but I’m truly exhilarated to be following my calling. The boredom at home was stifling me, nothing but hunting for the winter larder and sometimes watching my father make potions and elderberry wine. That’s not for me. I’ll value them more when I go back and visit, as I plan to each summer. Here all of my studies come to life, and I’m surrounded by other people my age who want to be a part of the world.

The girl I share the student room with is also a cleric, as are most of the residents in the dormitories. The man down the hall is not young, he’s an old Vaalorian but he got me a job in the catacombs helping out the city clear the rodent problem down there in those ancient underground passages. It’s not at all like hunting in the woods and I could really use a good ratter hound to pull the wretches out of the holes they manage to scamper into. Haven't gone too deep into the catacombs but I already discovered some very peculiar things. Old carvings and other graphics on the walls. Seems the young ones wander down here every now and then because I hear children’s voices in the distance laughing.

Since I’ve started meditating at the temple I haven't received any signs nor visions indicating the Arkati have accepted me, but I feel accepted being there, if that makes sense…. as if they are indifferent to my case but still responsible for me. It’s not exactly what I hoped for coming to Ta’Vaalor, although I am very lucky of course and very grateful to my patrons, the lack of an Arkati weighs on me. Worse, every time I go to the religion class they make us announce our Arkati. Most of the students here are Vaalorians training to be combat support for the military. On occasion, when the teacher leaves the room for an emergency or to fetch something, while we are left to quitely read to ourselves, they all immediately jump up to clear the desks in order to create a wrestling ring, and post a guard outside to watch for the master. They’re not supposed to do this

The proclamations every day are the same, when the master, Father Malfiloorius, asks us to announce our Arkati allegiance in orderly military style: “Kai.”, “Kai.” “Kai!” “Kai!!!” and so on, in a crescendo, until it’s “KAI”, “KAI!”, “KAAAIIIIIIIIII” - this goes on for several moments you see, until the last few students are literally screaming. The teacher rolls his eyes every time. It’s very amusing. Then a deep “KOAR!” from the lone wolf - handsome red-haired fellow but keeps to himself mostly. They’re not interested in me much and are even a bit teasing but I can tell they feel sorry for me. I can’t blame them at all. I don’t know why we stayed in the woods. Since I’m Sylvankind they put me last of course, and I don’t mind that, because there’s no pride in shouting “UNDECIDED!” like some idiot in the middle of all that.

But I say it normally and no one pays any attention, except for a few curious stares the first day, so it’s bearable. I’m told there’s even a sylvan scout in the army. On the first day at class, Ralor, the boy next to me told me so and the others chimed in to express admiration for sylvan utility in the scouting profession. That made me feel welcome as I was quite nervous about my classmates disliking me. I was simply being nervous and there was nothing to fear.

I’m looking forward to being chosen by an Arkati, at the same time, I’m scared it will never happen or I’ll be rejected, or I won’t like it. I’ve been told that most folk who go on as long as I have end up being a cleric of Voln, as he’ll take any who will swear the oath. I’m dread terrified of undead, so I’ve been putting it off. If I don’t get a sign in a month I’ll go to Voln and sign up for their program, supposedly they will send out more experienced members on the first few hunts for training. Not looking forward to it.

With all the hand-to-hand combat I’ve been doing, everyone expected me to be chosen by Kai, eventually, but it hasn’t happened yet. They all encourage me to come to martial practice every week-end, and I’ve gone a bit but I’m more interested in exploring the western wilds, which are full of strange creatures. I caught a few snakes in the field and they were quite unlike the ones at home, bright green with blue eyes.

Perhaps next time I write I will have a divine mentor, but as of yet it looks like I’m still out of luck. I hope this journal assists my fellow students in their journey and please forgive my familiar style if I have offended anyone, I’m not familiar with the ways of the world yet and I am very ignorant.

...................(¯`'•.¸ § ~ * Sponsored by the Cleric’s Guild, Ta’Vaalor, North Shimaerslaen Way * ~ § ¸.•'´¯)...................

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°Work Scholarships Available for underprivileged Elven and Sylvan youth!º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤

.............................................-:¦:JOIN-:¦:KOAR'S-:¦:ARMY-:¦:TODAY!..............................................
Re: Aeonelas' Journal, part 1: Kai (and Koar) 05/08/2017 07:24 PM CDT
Enjoying your journals. It's a refreshing take on old Elanthia. Keep it up!

Chad, player of a few
Re: Aeonelas' Journal, part 1: Kai (and Koar) 05/11/2017 06:26 AM CDT
Thanks Chad. I'm afraid I'm terribly addicted to pummeling mummies and looting them at the moment but I have two more in the chute. I have to wait until things actually happen to her to write about them too, and hunting is mostly very boring.

NEVER NOT POST
Re: Aeonelas' Journal, part 1: Kai (and Koar) 05/11/2017 05:25 PM CDT
You're welcome. I know for myself I daydream stories about my characters when I am grinding exp. Getting them down on paper so to speak is gratifying. When I see people doing some writing about their characters it is always entertaining for me. I post mine in General Roleplaying> Elanthian Short Stories.

Chad, player of a few