Playing Together 10/28/2014 02:23 PM CDT

Good afternoon... well at least for me.

I was speaking with a bard today and thought that it would be very nice if there were a system to play an instrument with another person. Such as:

play flute with <name of player>

It could automatically join with the leader and play the same style and just change their messaging to include another person. Such as "joining harmonies" or "with complementing melodies."

Messaging could also change based on the number of people who enter so instead of saying Bob and Joe play a soft melody, you could go to "quartet" or if enough people played together "band" or "orchestra" by combining the messaging it would cut down the number of messages scrolling in a room and allow for some good role playing. To determine the skill of a group you could average the skill of all playing together. That way there could be band and orchestra competitions.

Thinking about more possibilities you could also go play flute against <name of player> then you could play an opposing tune... sad against happy... fast against slow. Similarly you could then do a battle of the band style as musicians join one side or the other.

If we take it one step further we could even have "Band Leaders" or "Conductors" who have custom messaging for group play and thus are able to customize and enhance their groups... or an item that does it like a conductor's wand etc.

Just a thought and I hope people, and especially GMs like it.
Re: Playing Together 10/28/2014 02:27 PM CDT

I think that is one of if not the best ideas I have heard of in forever. What wonderful rp opportunities... Especially if a group of people formed 'groups' they could play at events or create events. And perhaps if you formed an official 'group' the 'group' as a whole would gain experience so with lots of practice the 'group' gets better and more special messaging.

I LOVE IT
Re: Playing Together 10/28/2014 02:30 PM CDT
I have long considered what you have brought up myself. I always thought it would be neat to put a few people together for a band type of atmosphere. I've played around with writing a few interactive scripts but never got seriously into it because I didn't think the interest was there. It might be time to reconsider this. However, I much prefer your "Play With" idea, and especially the "Join" option. A very intriguing idea indeed.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Playing Together 03/13/2016 09:05 PM CDT
That would be pretty cool.

Then they can hang out at Helga's and do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQekIa5FBzI

~ Methais
Re: Playing Together 03/16/2016 10:14 AM CDT
As someone who always hunts/plays with another bard, I want to clarify I like this idea. But, on my list of things for bards, spamming the room less is not present, and more playing together messaging while a neat idea, is just not the best use of time/resources.

Finishing either spell list bards can access,
providing some tangible benefit to guild membership,
fixing long standing issues with 1025 being affected by 640 and 712,
providing more information to loresongs specific TD,acuity rank, padding/weighting levels
shield maneuvers; phlanax, spell shield, deflect elements should be bard skills an never should have been given to warriors
review lore training costs for bards and review our lore implementation since we were completely overlooked during the elr.

All these things should happen before instrument messaging is worked on

Archales
Re: Playing Together 04/08/2016 03:13 PM CDT
>All these things should happen before instrument messaging is worked on

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring up all your other improvement suggestions that you think should be higher priorities in this thread instead of just making your own thread about how you think bards should be improved. It's entirely possible that this idea would be easier for GMs to implement than your ideas. It's also possible that GMs don't want to implement a lot of your ideas because maybe that's how things are supposed to work.

Also, some of the things you suggested are things that GMs definitely aren't going to work on (e.g. I'm pretty sure it's been stated that rangers and bards will not be getting functional guilds basically ever) and I'm not even sure what the problem with 1025 interacting with 640 or 712 is (and Google searching has not helped).

Anyway, I like the idea of being able to play instruments with other bards (or even non-bards with instrument skill, for that matter). It sounds like a lot of fun.
Re: Playing Together 04/10/2016 10:59 AM CDT
I think perhaps my tone wasn't conveyed as intended, but as I started by saying I liked the idea. However its an open forum and I generally try to give my feedback and honest opinion about all sorts of ideas tossed out on the forum. I simply gave my take on how playing together stacked up in my priority list, which was direct feedback about the idea suggested, I'm not sure why you think I should have started a new thread for that.

As to the comments about what I ranked higher I've made several posts right here in the bard forums detailing the issues with 1025's interactions with reactive spells like 540 and 712. No further guild skills was an has been the company line for as long as I can remember, but then they gave pure's alchemy so things could change. I gave some examples of what I'd like to see focused on, you are free to agree or disagree, but I think we all should feel free to contribute.

Archales