Play skill advancement 03/27/2012 07:50 AM CDT
Do you need to be in learning mode to to advance in play skill or can you do it with an empty mind? If an empty mind, does learning change the rate of playskill advancement? I've been back a couple of months and can't get the last play style (I assume it's still 10?). I don't recall the results of the testing when instruments first came out. Also, what are master instruments about and where do I get a master bagpipe?
Re: Play skill advancement 03/27/2012 08:06 AM CDT
>Do you need to be in learning mode to to advance in play skill or can you do it with an empty mind?

Makes absolutely no difference. You just have to keep playing. There's actually one more rank to adept after getting the 10th style. Those last few ranks take...forever.

>Also, what are master instruments about and where do I get a master bagpipe?

LOL! Good luck with that. ;)

~ a couple of bards
Re: Play skill advancement 03/27/2012 11:02 AM CDT
Krakii has an informative breakdown of instrument learning and how long you can expect it to take between Aha moments: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_learning

As far as master instruments go, you'll have to do a little digging to get one, but they're not super rare. They are pricey, 9m or more depending on type and fanciness. Master instruments benefit bards, mostly in an increase the effectiveness of 1001, 1020, and 1030*. Bards also unlock an Adept-master instrument message when they've reached the Adept rank of instrument skill.

Manipulation Lore and 1030
At 15 ranks of this lore, a focused version of the spell (single target) can be sung for half the mana cost (15 mana).
At 30 ranks, the non-focused version of the spell will have the same damage benefit as singing it while playing a one-handed instrument with adept skill.
At 45 ranks, the focused version of the spell will have the same damage benefit as singing it while playing a one-handed instrument with adept skill.
At 60 ranks, the non-focused version of the spell will have the same damage benefit as singing it while playing a two-handed instrument with adept skill.
At 75 ranks, the focused version of the spell will have the same damage benefit as singing it while playing a two-handed instrument with adept skill. - Krakiipedia: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Mental_Lore,_Manipulation

I don't know where/if there's an analysis of how much a master instrument improves upon this system, but as a personal anecdote, when I play my 2-handed master instrument, 1030 is remarkably fun.

~Diana, Seomanthe's (much less colorful) keeper
Re: Play skill advancement 03/28/2012 04:24 PM CDT
Thanks for the help. Looked at Krakii tables; interesting. Seems I forgot that I had to tune instruments (blush). Almost immediately got #10. Now to put in the hours to get the last step. Can't believe how much I've forgotten in those intervening years.

Thanks again,
Geoff
Re: Play skill advancement 03/29/2012 08:40 PM CDT
I forgot about tuning also.. got me thinking:

>rub pin
As you rub your bagpipes pin, a pale mist swirls sinuously down your arm and coalesces into the form of some spectral bagpipes in your left hand.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>tune bagpipe
You carefully clean the chanters and drones of your bagpipes, fastidiously checking the reeds and general condition of the instrument.
>

Does anyone else find that as amusing as I do?