First trip 08/05/2017 07:45 AM CDT
So I'm thinking about bringing my sniper rogue to the rift when he turns 78 in a couple weeks to hunt lunatics and witches. This is the first time I'll have brought any character there so I was wondering, is there anything rogues/archers need to be prepared for?

I never hunt with outside spells on any of my characters, so at least there's one thing I'm already well prepared for.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: First trip 08/05/2017 09:02 AM CDT
>> So I'm thinking about bringing my sniper rogue to the rift when he turns 78 in a couple weeks to hunt lunatics and wit>> ches. This is the first time I'll have brought any character there so I was wondering, is there anything rogues/archers need to be prepared for?

It's a fun place but it takes some getting used to. I believe you hunt a lot solo in RR so I doubt you'll get discouraged before you get used to the place. I really loved the time I spend hunting there (as a wizard and paladin).

I believe the rooms can change over time where one moment you can hide and then you can't. That might prove to be annoying.

Lunatics are a pushover.

Oblivion quartz are addicting.

>> I never hunt with outside spells on any of my characters, so at least there's one thing I'm already well prepared for.

You'll probably have an easier time hunting here just because the area is geared towards this.

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: First trip 08/05/2017 11:14 AM CDT
There's a lot of non-corp undead about, and you really can't afford to be easily warded by the seraceris. I'm not sure how good they will be at sniff/cast on you, but I much preferred Plane 2 to Plane 1 as a rogue (while it was the other way round with monk and warrior), because of the difficulty in hiding on the non-corp undead (the others are pretty blind).

The rooms do flip lighting conditions and inside/outside status so hiding bonuses change with time, you might find you can reliably hide on the non-corps only when its favorable to you.

The biggest locks (by far) on the early Planes are on the Vvrael.

Rift allows rogues to wear 100s and 400s. You may well want to use scrolls of those you haven't learnt yet for the TD. My practise was to put the lot up, though I could afford to lose half of them to dispels before things started getting dangerous.

Don't leg Vvrael, beware of itchy curses and take note of where the wandering voids and exits are.
Re: First trip 08/08/2017 10:51 PM CDT
Thanks for the info... just hit 78 a few minutes ago and procrastinating on making the trip...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: First trip 08/09/2017 12:03 AM CDT
Erf, got to the Trading post and was doing some last minute research when I noticed the swimming check in Koar's Shrine. How many ranks does it take to swim across and do I need to remove my armor when I get to it?

Starchitin

Re: First trip 08/09/2017 12:39 AM CDT
You don't need to remove armor. I think you can get through it with as low as about 25 ranks. You might lose a little health. The more the better.
Re: First trip 08/09/2017 12:49 AM CDT
Ok, cool.... haven't trained in it since I got what I needed to get across Maelstrom Bay, but luckily was sitting on 19 TPs that got me up to 26 ranks. Hopefully that will do it without too much trouble and I've got plenty of acantha if I need it.

Starchitin

Re: First trip 08/09/2017 12:53 AM CDT
What he said on the armor and ranks, and it has been way too long since I swam it, but I do remember Physical Fitness aiding swimming a little by seeming to delay any effects (I could hold breath/stay under longer).

But the swim isn't anywhere as bad as into Nelemar.
Re: First trip 08/09/2017 07:16 AM CDT
It isn't anywhere near as bad as into the Bowels. I have never had any trouble with it, even on a character that couldn't swim into the Bowels.

I haven't done the swim in ages because its a complete spell strip (even the amunet gets stripped), not because its difficult and Reim means I don't have to worry about favor for Return any more.

Something else to remember is that not all spots on the sands are equal when it comes to disarming boxes.
Re: First trip 08/09/2017 11:39 AM CDT
<Something else to remember is that not all spots on the sands are equal when it comes to disarming boxes.>

Made the first trip and died to a typo (one of these days I'll get around to making a macro for CMAN VANISH... really I will....).

Being a gnome, I'm prolly going to head back to Pinefar to pick my boxes anyway 9 times out of 10.... but I'm guessing the room with the mountain of empty boxes is the one you're recommending where to open them?

Starchitin

Re: First trip 08/09/2017 03:32 PM CDT
Don't forget to search through that pile.
Re: First trip 08/09/2017 11:46 PM CDT
<Don't forget to search through that pile.>

*searches the pile and gets one*

*gawks in amazement*

*searches the pile and finds another*

*gets a blank look on his face for a moment before gazing at the amazing pile with a worshipful expression*

By Aeia's fertile crotch.... I've found it.... I've found tha reward behind Lormenstra's Gates....

*pulls out a piece of paper and writes in chicken-scratch: Get yer pointy ears over here. Found paradise.*

*sloppily folds the paper and grabs a run-away by the scruff of the neck on his way into the Rift*

Get this ta Rlen tha second yer rescued!

Starchitin

Re: First trip 08/10/2017 12:39 AM CDT
Ha
Re: First trip 08/10/2017 07:12 AM CDT
>Being a gnome, I'm prolly going to head back to Pinefar to pick my boxes anyway 9 times out of 10.... but I'm guessing the room with the mountain of empty boxes is the one you're recommending where to open them?

You shouldn't be guessing, you should be using your LM abilities ...

As a gnome I thought you'd know the way to get 4 boxes rather than 1 into a disk ;) Though most of the picking I did on the Sands was for others on my way in or out and I'd only pick my own there if forced out mid hunt.
Re: First trip 08/10/2017 12:03 PM CDT
<As a gnome I thought you'd know the way to get 4 boxes rather than 1 into a disk ;) Though most of the picking I did on the Sands was for others on my way in or out and I'd only pick my own there if forced out mid hunt.>

Most of the time, opening boxes in the field isn't going to reduce my gnome's encumbrance enough to make continuing the hunt safe unless I'm willing to drop the silvers in the box too. If I open the boxes in my disk, I'll actually be worse off cause I'll have to carry around the stuff that was in them. When I end a hunt due to encumbrance (usually it ends cause I'm fried and/or completed a task, though) it generally means I have 6-8 boxes or more between my worn containers and my disk, but with the shadows not helping against those worms (whatever they're called), that is likely to go down at least in the short term.

Starchitin