New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/23/2011 07:22 PM CST
Hi all,

I am a couple of hours from earning my tenth level. I've been hunting lesser orcs and leapers now for at least 4 or 5 levels. They still give me plenty of exp and loot, so perhaps I should just keep at them, but I was wondering if I should be moving on to a more lucrative area yet? I'm a two handed warrior with an offensive AS of about 150 and a defensive DS of about 95 or 100. I went down into the underground and fought crocodiles, but altogether after just a few minutes down there the swarms of mobs are too much to handle.

Also, at about what level does it become safe to travel outside of Icemule? I've been thinking about going to explore some of the other towns, but I understand the roads are not safe for young travelers. I'm not courageous enough to discover the answer to this on my own :D

Thanks!
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/23/2011 07:37 PM CST
No idea what you are using for gear but usually being able to use +20 items helps a good bit. For hunting the underground have you tried using other stances? I know that without spells I'd often hunt down there in advanced or forward a lot. If you want to travel anywhere else it takes a bit longer then other methods but I'd suggest using the travel guide, it is cheap and you'd be kept safe during your trip and not have to worry about dying.
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/23/2011 07:46 PM CST
I'm using a rowan-hafted gornar-studded maul and some brigandine armor. Both items were found in the pawnshop. I don't think they're +20. Pretty sure the maul is +5 because my AS is always 5 less when I use my warsword. I totally forgot about hunting in other stances, that's a good idea! But you think I should keep trying crocodiles and the crabs as the next step up from lesser orcs?

Is the travel guide a one way ticket? I don't want to go anywhere and get stuck. I like it in Icemule :)
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/23/2011 10:26 PM CST
It only goes one way at a time, you should have a token to use it once for free, after that is costs a small amount of silver. Gornar is naturally +5 with earth flares, so that would make sense. And if you want to stay in mule the crocs and crabs is the next thing to hunt, maybe spectres in the forte out the east gate if you can find a bless, they are level 9 and pretty easy to kill.

I'm rather fond of Icemule myself, its where I started and where I tend to spend most of my time.
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/24/2011 03:49 AM CST
You can use the travel guides until you get to level 20, which is high enough to travel to and fro any other town. Its pretty easy to get killed on the Icemule trail at level 20, unless you travel off-peak and run through an empty glacier before any critter has a chance to gen.

Look at the notice in the travel agency to see the cost, but its pretty cheap, 500 to the next town or 3000 to the elves is the range. It takes a really long time if you decide to visit the elves though.

You should do fine with the dogs, guardians and sentries over the next few levels, but the cellar is really pretty hard. Urchins and their friends are best avoided unless you go mob handed. Outside, spectres are really easy, then silverbacks. The silverbacks carry some ready blessed weapons, but if you can kill a silverback the spectres are really too easy. Wraiths will be dodgy for a THW user but shouldn't be beyond you if you get blues as well as a bless. You'll be fine with ogres and the Abbey when you get there.

4x gear does make a big difference if you haven't been stepping up thought mithril, glaes etc and just been using starting equipment. Get vultite or equivalent the moment you hit level 10. Look through player shops now to see what they have in the way of affordable 4x gear. If what you like the look of is in a shop in a different town, then that's your excuse to travel.
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/25/2011 04:12 PM CST
Thank you for your help, you've been extremely helpful on the forums.

Without even asking for advice in game, it's been suggested that I move on to snow spectres. But you're probably right that it's a good time to look for some decent gear as I move up. How do I look through player shops? And I feel really silly about not having used my travel guide token before now. I had no idea I could buy more!
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/25/2011 05:16 PM CST
You can do it the old fashion way and find them on a map and look in each shop trying to find what you want, or you can do the lazy preferred way and use the following site

http://pshops.lichproject.org
Re: New warrior; 9th level-10th level - 2 questions 11/25/2011 05:35 PM CST
http://shops.krakiipedia.org/ works as well. I use both sites for different reasons.

-- Robert

Cauldron: 1 Raggler: 0