Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/24/2011 05:01 AM CDT
My main is a twc warrior who hunts with a thw warrior. Pretty fun combo.
-c
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/24/2011 01:19 PM CDT
Warrior hunting groups can be great fun. Try getting three or four THW warriors with lots of Berserk ranks and MOC together. Walk into a warcamp, everyone berserks at once, then sit back and watch the carnage unfold.

Dave, Brandains Bard
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/24/2011 01:52 PM CDT
The only problem with that is they tend to scatter. I always hated when D was forced to Berserk and ended up running off in the middle of a fight.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/24/2011 02:18 PM CDT
Warriors make excellent hunting partners, as well as paladins (arms of Arkati anyone) and Bards. You can also build characters around one-another if you have a good (consistent) friend, and ultimately create some devastating combination attacks using CMAN's.

In terms of casters however, Clerics / Wizard is one amazing hunting group. Empaths also work really well in this group as well, sorcerer's not as much due to the nature of CS (although less of an issue for sorcerer's and more for clerics/empaths) limiting up-hunting.

~Athias (Platinum)
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/26/2011 12:42 PM CDT
This is a somewhat silly topic, IMO; any two classes can work well together, provided that know what they are doing. The one exception might be the rogue. The rogue Hiding/Ambushing while in a group mechanics are flawed! Guen hunts with her sweetie who is a rogue, and has to be very careful not to hit her with an AoE spell during the time she is rehiding, since the rogue is not considered to be grouped during that time interval.

I have asked a few times that this flaw be corrected; the response I have gotten from Simu was that this was impossible, since the code was ancient, deeply buried, and no one had a clue how to fix it.

Rogue group mechanics are broken! Can someone at least make an attempt to fix them???

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/26/2011 04:17 PM CDT
>Rogue group mechanics are broken! Can someone at least make an attempt to fix them???

>get tether
You remove a long slender tether with metal clasps at each end.

>wear tether
You adroitly fasten one end of the tether to the harness around your chest.

>give RogueDude
You offer your slender tether to roguedude, who has 30 seconds to accept the offer. Click CANCEL to prematurely cancel the offer.

RogueDude has accepted your offer and is now holding a slender tether.

Roguedude adroitly fastens the free end of the tether to a harness on his chest.

>l tether
You see a long slender tether fastened at one end to a harness on your chest while the other end is fastened to RogueDude.

>say @rogue Ready?
Speaking to RogueDude, you say, "Ready?"

RogueDude nods.

Speaking to you, RogueDude says, "Ready AOEspellcastingdude"

Tethers to keep your wayward hiding ambusher grouped always! You too can be like the parents at the mall with their kids on a leash.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/26/2011 09:20 PM CDT
Tethers should also prevent you from walking into the next room if someone was still in RT.

Ack! Scarab!
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/27/2011 07:10 AM CDT
<<Tethers to keep your wayward hiding ambusher grouped always! You too can be like the parents at the mall with their kids on a leash. --- farmer Vivaldi
<<Tethers should also prevent you from walking into the next room if someone was still in RT. --- Badnade

Brilliant idea, Farmer! Rogues far and wide would love this idea, and I can't tell you how much easier it would make hunting for my warrior with her cleric partner if she wasn't always being left behind in RT. Well, not always, but often enough to irritate the cleric. ::grin::
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/27/2011 09:52 AM CDT
To make such a device you need a mastered alchemist with 78 samples each of every rare component, and a fully LFM mastered rogue with invasion-level difficulty drop components who is also a master Fletcher/Forger.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/27/2011 10:38 AM CDT
Even then, Evarin. It would be worth it.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/27/2011 10:41 AM CDT
Agreed.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/27/2011 03:22 PM CDT
Obviously what we need is an ethereal string that connects a rogue to their ground. Those are easy enough to come by, right?

Right...?

The L behind the Laphrael

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a shoe.
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/30/2011 02:55 PM CDT
This seems to be a fun topic to chime in on and with me greatly missing my best gs friend/hunting buddy since I haven't seen him in many many years now.

I'm going to advocate and say that best duo combo is Ranger and Rogue.

this isn't just any ranger or rogue build. My friend and I put quite a bit of thought on coming up with the most effective and efficient duo that would greatly compliment with each other and thus we rolled up and made the duo.

it's specifically.

Archer/brawler/voln fuing skinning ranger
Archer/brawler/edge voln fuing locksmithing rogue

Both fully stealth sniping special ops capable.

mainly open hunting. 1 kill every 3-4 second from aim shots for each.

Undeads get destroyed. Loot is maximized from skinning and picking our own boxes.

Any critter not in plate armor get's destroyed in 3-4 seconds. 5-6 seconds if it's in plate and that's the rogue to actually ambush the plated critter if it survives the spike thorn.

small swarms get's cleaned out easily, big swarm both goes into stealth sniping mode and plings away, in the event of an emergency (mass calm)

another duo we made together later on, which is also equally amazing and a little more fun is:

two handed hasting skinning wizard
lancer locksmithing bard.

again loot is maximized, though skinning is pretty poor quality.

undeads not a problem since wizard can bolt and bard can use sonic lance.

even safer to hunt large swarms than ranger/rogue combo. since wizard can quake and bard ewave to keep things pinned and conserve each other's mana.

hasted katana/claidhmore and hasted tonis mstriking lancer will clean out a swarm pretty fast.

this combo is extremely fun together and swarms are invited.

But the ranger/rogue combo builts are faster because of 3 second aimed eye shots.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 04/01/2011 06:48 PM CDT
Rogue/Rogue is anything but clunky if they know what they are doing (especially since we are generally perceptive enough to see each other stalk)...

Should see some of the Dae'randir rogues hunting together, one-two combo and move, plus one of us is usually a mage-rogue so we don't even have to worry about swarms.

Add on vanish and silenstrike/sniping depending on which one of us is hunting with the other.

Now I will admit it would be much less tedious with better group mechanics.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 04/02/2011 12:55 PM CDT
>Tethers

Sorry, I just had an image of something hilarious I thought I would share.

A warrior is tethered to a rogue and starts berserking. Poor rogue. I can just see them trying to get the tether off while being dragged around.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 04/02/2011 04:31 PM CDT
Now that is comical.

What's ironic about hunting with stealth ambushers is that it's easier to hunt with other ambushers than non ambushers.

mainly the difficulty comes from not understanding the tactics and hunting style of a stealth ambusher and vice versa.

Here is the big difference and what causes the difficulty.

Non ambushers - group up (combined force/strength) in other terms DPS.
Ambushers - team up (each has a role, one leg, other decapitate or one goes for left eye other right eye.

Non ambushers - attacks (they bleed it to death, generally mentality is to do as much damage as fast as possible to kill it and move on to next one.)

Ambushers - ambushes (they don't "attack", it's either a set up or an attempt to assassinate.) Damage isn't relevant, just that critical kill shot.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 04/04/2011 12:19 AM CDT
Paladin/bard combo is disgusting, but it is all brute power. Anyone who used to do warcamps with me understands this.

In terms of grinding out exp and being self sustaining, bard/empath would be the best. Between the two chars, there is nothing essential missing.

In summation: bard + whatever else = best combo
Can't beat tonis, moving mana nodes, and/or 1030.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 04/04/2011 09:29 AM CDT
I hunt with an empath almost exclusively. Everything we do compliments the other. She's nearly a mana battery and I run 1018 constantly while hunting. We're not unstoppable but offensively one of us is going to be able to kill anything we run into while hunting. Having two ways to unstun our group (while both stunned) is a big help, as well.

Song of Tonis makes every other square significantly better. I can't argue against that.

I do know I prefer small group hunting over going solo. It takes patience, but once people are comfortable together it really makes hunting significantly safer and more exciting.

~Galenok
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page