GMs: troll regeneration? 05/13/2018 05:17 PM CDT
Sure, I realize that "damage over time" is probably a poor match for creatures with regeneration, but can you clarify whether they ARE or are NOT subject to poison damage, or if it dissipates every time they do the "flesh wounds regenerate quickly"?
- regain ALL hps?
- completely dissipate poison?
- other?

Because I had a couple of them that should have been in the "200-300hp per round" range, after multiple hide/swings, and even if they regenerate some HP, that should start adding up.

I was more interested in getting the next-to-last one dead than in watching, so the [40 + 53 + 45 + 52 + 40 + 46 ==] 276 poison that it should have had didn't have a chance to act before it became 311 (and then the main-gauche killed the troll from the left hand), but that was six rounds of hide/attack (and regenerate); there should've been some intermediate pulse of poison damage happening, too.
That's in addition to the left-hand damage of 260 from the main-gauche.

530+ raw HP (Left + Right hands), plus what should have been at least some poison... That's a lot to regenerate through.

And if they do throw it off completely when they regenerate (OR if they regain essentially all HP when they do so), then I think that happens just a bit too frequently. <mutter>

In other news: can someone point me towards some mid-50s level creatures for a melee character?
(It's been a WHILE since I played anything other than spellcaster, and the Thief has made about a dozen levels just picking boxes for the rest of Me. So I'm a little out of practice. <cough>)
Re: GMs: troll regeneration? 05/13/2018 08:13 PM CDT
>In other news: can someone point me towards some mid-50s level creatures for a melee character?

If you don't fancy the trolls, then its Teras for pyros, or Illistim for icy stuff and the Black Forest. My guess is that ambushing with poison is by far best suited to the Black Forest, its a little higher level than mid-50s but easy for level.
Re: GMs: troll regeneration? 05/14/2018 12:48 AM CDT
Black Forest ... I was so sad when I outgrew that hunting ground.

But those vipers had wicked poison, get the poison proofing spell and carry a poison curing potion. You'll NEVER make it back to town and a healer on some of those.

Still, it was one of the best hunting grounds ever up to that point!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: GMs: troll regeneration? 05/14/2018 08:04 AM CDT
I'm assuming you're hunting tomb trolls and necromancers based on the levels you mentioned.

I can't speak to whether they throw off poison during their healing process, but they do heal damage very quickly and their regen isn't halted by stuns like most (all?) other trolls. RT locks might prevent it (I can check this with my sorcerer in a couple days), but the only way I know of to reliably prevent it is to use some sort of fire.

Because of the above, they are very difficult to kill if you aren't either going for crit kills or using some form of fire in your attacks. With your rogue, I'd have a way to get them on the ground so you can ambush their eyes with something that does puncture damage (daggers are perfect). I wouldn't even bother with a fire flaring weapon since their regen will heal their eyes and allow you to go for them as many times as you need go get the crit kill (you shouldn't need more then one or two swings, but there's always the occasional stubborn one).

If you absolutely must kill them by attrition (why you would want to with a rogue is beyond me, but...meh), get a fire flaring weapon. They have a lot of HP and will just keep regenning their HPs too fast to kill them without it.

Tomb trolls are stupidly easy to kill if you know how to go about it, but they don't leave a lot of room for deviating from the tactics above.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: GMs: troll regeneration? 05/14/2018 08:52 AM CDT
No, 55th level stone trolls. Don't care for undead because reasons. <shrug>

Have a preference for the Landing, because that's where the support network is. (i.e. "He wants to pick the boxes for the rest of Me.")

And I suddenly had this brainstorm that with Transport System Updates, I could just set the ring to Pinefar and go hunt all the cold stuff on Aenatumgana, since it's mostly living instead of undead.
(Sure there's a couple, but mammoths and sabre-teeth aren't undead, and I can walk away from the glacie so I don't get hand damage.)
...and then just ring right back to the Landing.
Re: GMs: troll regeneration? 05/14/2018 03:13 PM CDT
<No, 55th level stone trolls. Don't care for undead because reasons.>

Tomb trolls aren't undead... though the flesh golems with them are they can be easily avoided most of the time.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.