Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/20/2014 11:13 PM CST
Changing the thread title, since this has nothing to do with simucoins. Well, except that hunting the Bowels might tempt you to stock up on that death salve or whatever it is.

The Bowels are a prime source of cheap deaths; here is a log of one of my very favorites! It's a post I made back in 2007; it shows the hazards of fire/plasma/lightning, and also the rolling krynch maneuver (the real one, not the poor quality knockoff our monks get). I usually dump logs, but I kept this one because it's a classic.

>>Now, speaking of cheap deaths, I must say .. this is just ... wrong! This is why lightning and fire flaring weapons are no-nos in the Bowels. One of the beggers nicked me with .. a drake flamberge??? Dinky damage, tiny spark of a flare, but then ...

The air around you suddenly explodes into flame!

You are scorched with searing flame!
... 25 points of damage!
Flames toast left cornea. Consider an eyepatch.
... 25 points of damage!
Back bursts into a lovely display of flames but you're too busy to notice.
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right arm toasts skin to elbows.
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to right hand. Gonna need lots of butter.
An Illoke elder is scorched with searing flame!
The heat wafts over the Illoke elder with little effect.
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right arm toasts skin to elbows.

The ground then quickly cools.
>
You are still stunned.
>
Surrounding rocks and dirt meld together as a greater earth elemental rises from the ground!
>
A massive boulder comes barrelling into view!
In a vain attempt, you roll to avoid the speeding boulder! The krynch strikes you squarely, crushing you beneath it and the ground!

... 25 points of damage!
You are knocked sideways several feet by a blow to the back.

Roundtime: 20 sec.
>
An Illoke elder swings a drake flamberge at you!
AS: +374 vs DS: +306 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +65 = +175
... and hits for 46 points of damage!
Slash to your chest!
That heart's not broken, it's only scratched.

> look
[Thanatoph Bowels, East Lobe]
At the eastern juncture of the quatrefoil, faded yellow symbols of rising suns grace the walls. Broken jars lie on the floor, spilling ground copal and frankincense powders. Several ora braziers lie scattered about, dusty and damaged. You also see a greater krynch, a greater earth elemental and an Illoke elder.
Obvious exits: southwest, west, northwest
>
A greater krynch pounds at you with its fist!
AS: +427 vs DS: +293 with AvD: +40 + d100 roll: +15 = +189
... and hits for 34 points of damage!
Blow leaves an imprint on your chest!

>
An Illoke elder swings a drake flamberge at you!
AS: +374 vs DS: +303 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +92 = +205
... and hits for 65 points of damage!
Blow to your chest causes your heart to skip a beat.

The deep blue glow leaves you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
Your sense of faith and conviction wanes.
The dim aura fades from around you.
You become solid again.
The white light leaves you.
The very powerful look leaves you.
You suddenly feel less protected.
A white glow rushes away from you.
Your breathing becomes more shallow.
You feel the protection of your deity's influence fade.
You feel less confident.
The opalescent aura fades from around you.
You feel your extra strength departing.
The powerful look leaves you.
The brilliant aura fades away from you.
You return to normal color.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 13 mins... <<

Now, THAT's cheap!

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 12:11 AM CST
Oh, you will notice that the explosion left me stunned but standing; it was the wretched krynch's rolling attack that knocked me down. This dropped my DS by the usual 50 for being prone; had that not happened, I might have survived the ensuing physical assaults until the stun wore off and I could Voln fog out of there.

As far as empath tactics ... Rorn, I'll have to check, but I'm not sure if I have any logs there from Guenn's stint there (the previous debacle was with my cleric). By that time, she was the third of my gals to hit the Bowels, so it was all old hat by then :) I also forget if she was a pure caster or a semi-semi at that time; I'll have to check. She's gone through several skill sets during her lifespan.

In the meantime, I can give some general advice.

Their spell-like maneuver attacks are more effective if you are under their level. If you are under 87-88 trains, I'd stick to the lesser critter area. If you look at the map, there is an area in the NW corner, located off from the central rooms. Elders, Jarls and greater elementals tend not to gen there, just krynches and lesser elementals. These guys are stone, and don't have bones, but if I recall, wither works well on them. Also, I used unbalance to knock them down and put them into RT first, giving me time to get some other spells off. Eventually, the elders and jarls will percolate into that area from the central hub rooms, but then you can just fog out and wait for them to despawn before coming back.

You also have to decide whether or not you want to risk the slowing effects of the gas. If not, you can use purify air, which negates this effect. Why would you want to NOT negate this? Well, because then you can tell which rooms have gas and which don't. If a room doesn't have gas, you can use plasma or lightning based attacks freely. Gas can enter a room at any time, but there are a number of messages (which I had highlighted somewhere) that let you know when it does so. Hissing noises, odd odor, breeze blowing debris around etc.

Peer is your friend. Never move into the next room without peering first,lest it already be occupied by 5-6 nasties.

Empathy is useful; not so much for actually defeating a swarm, but to keep them busy whacking each other while you beat a hasty retreat. It also can help you defeat a single foe, or even two; the short duration, however, means you will be casting it several times during a single combat. A bit of a mana drain there.

The area tends to generate swarms; don't push your luck and try to hunt until fried. Better to fog out with half a head of experience than get killed trying for more. Go to TSC and heal while the area calms down.

Jarls and elders, although gigantic in size, are not stone creatures; they are flesh and blood followers of Iloke. Bone shatter should work if I recall correctly. It has been a few years, I may go back and check on this, but I am pretty certain. Again, if you can knock them down with unbalance, this is helpful.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 05:22 AM CST
>I'd stick to the lesser critter area. If you look at the map, there is an area in the NW corner, locateElders, Jarls and greater elementals tend not to gen there, just krynches and lesser elementals.d off from the central rooms.

There is a region they don't gen, but they can move there under a couple of circumstances. Most hunters are not good enough to avoid dragging them in, but if you understand your quarry and are alone in there, you need only face lesser elementals and krynches.
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 07:59 AM CST

This may be obvious but add it just in case. Unpresence so jarls and elders do not fog to you and purify air so you do not get hit by the gas poison. Elders do dispell so i focus on them first then jarls. Elementals i only fight solo if they are alone. The bigger ones will ewave.
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 04:34 PM CST
>>purify air so you do not get hit by the gas poison.<<

As I mentioned, there are good and bad points to having purify air up. If you want to find rooms without gas because you want to use lightning or plasma spells/bolts (not fire, they are immune to that), you can leave off purify air and use the dizziness or lack thereof to find a gas free room so you can use your spells. Personally, I'd find this to be the riskier option, but that's an individual call. Note that the gas effects lessen and vanish if you stay in one room for a few rounds.

If you go with friends, you can put purify air on all but one person, and then use him like a canary in a mine to find the gas-free/gas filled rooms. The others can cover his butt if critters show up while he is dizzy.

Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 06:58 PM CST
My only advice is to use PEER so you don't walk into stonefist, get crush resist (I think that helps?), and write a script so that you PEER, then walk into the room and fire off whatever your preferred disabler is to prevent them from casting at you. Keep them on the ground and kill them. And don't use plasma/lightning/fire. I found this strategy effective in avoiding death, but painfully slow for my tastes and the reward never came close to matching the risk. The irony is I chose to go to the aqueduct in OTF instead and died many deaths due to gremlocks after finding way too many boxes! I guess I'm willing to stick my neck out and accept the risk as long as I can move fast and collect plenty of loot? Go figure!

~Taverkin
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 10:48 PM CST
>An Illoke elder swings a drake flamberge at you!

Wow that's a bad day. Look at me, I'm a fire resisting creature (although fire+cold might still work?) and I'll immolate the gas in the area so you are fried like a chicken!

>Their spell-like maneuver attacks are more effective if you are under their level. If you are under 87-88 trains, I'd stick to the lesser critter area. If you look at the map, there is an area in the NW corner, located off from the central rooms

Precisely what I did. However, please note that the two south-end rooms in either side there do spawn the other nasties, I believe. So avoid those two room within that area, and you should be set (until some idiot comes in and starts hanging out in those rooms).

>Gas can enter a room at any time, but there are a number of messages (which I had highlighted somewhere) that let you know when it does so. Hissing noises, odd odor, breeze blowing debris around etc.

Would be interested to see those lines. I just put away my fire staff and don't use 713 or 111 or 719. Too bad, too, because 719 would probably wreck some of the creatures there.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/21/2014 10:54 PM CST
First time:

>Peer is your friend. Never move into the next room without peering first,lest it already be occupied by 5-6 nasties.

Second time:

>My only advice is to use PEER so you don't walk into stonefist, get crush resist (I think that helps?), and write a script so that you PEER, then walk into the room and fire off whatever your preferred disabler is to prevent them from casting at you.

Third time:

If you don't use PEER, "you're an idiot"! (I put that in quotes since I am not personally targeting anyone with an insult; rather, I am saying this is a critical strategy that would be extremely stupid not to use.) I've been using PEER quite regularly since around level 30s, since RR is a lot harder than some other areas.

If you use lich, may I suggest this alias a friend gave me:

peek => ;eq multifput("set description off", "set roomnames off"); checkpaths.each { |x| fput("peer "+x); sleep 0.2}; multifput("set description on", "set roomnames on", "look")

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/22/2014 02:34 AM CST
>>Wow that's a bad day. Look at me, I'm a fire resisting creature (although fire+cold might still work?) and I'll immolate the gas in the area so you are fried like a chicken!<<

Heh! I was pretty pissed at the time, but now, years later, I can look back and laugh at it. It was a rather humorous example of everything bad that could possibly happen, going off all at once. A classic; one thing led to another like one of those old Rube Goldberg cartoons.

1) There had to be gas in there in the first place ... about a 50% chance
2) A critter had to be using a flaring weapon ... pretty rare, actually ... 1-2 %?
3) He had to actually hit me with it ... he got a really good die roll, and still barely nicked me for 2 HP damage
4) The weapon had to actually flare ... about a 1 in 5 chance with a drake weapon
5) Other critters entered the room ... including the krynch who knocked me down, threw me into RT, and then hit me with his overpowered pound attack

I'm no statistician, but we have to be looking at the something close to the proverbial one in a thousand chance. Which is why I kept the log: Fun Times!

Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/22/2014 11:01 AM CST

Oh forgot to mention two things. Illoke and elementals for that matter do not like earth or acid flares. A mage i hunt with used acid very effectively there.
Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 11/22/2014 02:58 PM CST
Acid works well against all the Iloke followers, both Stronghold and Bowels. That's one thing I forgot to mention when Rorn was asking for tactics for his empath to use there; my empath when she was a pure caster was 2x in spell aiming, and used crystal wands in both places. Useful for conserving mana, and doesn't set off the gas there.

Re: Bowels (was Simucoin store down) 12/06/2014 05:30 PM CST

Late to the thread, but Tan, I noticed you're a bit of an oak tree with no mobility and (my guess) no ranger spell mobility either. A difference between your training and the other poster who was running mobility and had negligible deaths... quick improvement may be to get a shot of mobility cast.

The only other thing was Dex of 75ish, but that would only matter if agi+dex plays into the formula (speculation since it affects roundtime and other movements).