Against the Koarites 02/25/2013 09:55 PM CST
The dire shortage of logic across Elanith has left the perfect vacuum for the cultivation of the Koarite faith. I have made this point clear in my essay on the atheistic tradition of the Faendryl, "What gods are these? Just as infinite regress points back toward a greater reality than these Arkati, common sense reveals that myopia warrants meager admiration."

It is possible to launch a successful critique of Arkati devotion using only the tools of formal logic. I suspect, however, that you want something more from me. Why be content with mere abstractions when there is immediate need to identify and uproot the pernicious effects of Arkati worship? And why settle for your customary dry toast when I offer honeyed words?

To this end, let us consider the dominance the Church of Koar enjoys in the human empire. In the capital city of Tamzyrr, the architecture of its imposing and aptly named Temple of the Steps ensures pilgrims are weary and supplicant before reaching the seat of the Koarite Patriarch. Note carefully that Koar himself is not cooped up within the temple in the manner of a pet lizard. The pilgrims dragging themselves ever upward encounter the so-called "king of the gods" only in their imagination while in the actual world they fall at the feet of Church authority. This is unfortunate for the Koarite laity but it is in the nature of humans to seek subjugation so that their short lives will have the illusion of greater meaning. It is often those who know poverty and sickness most intimately who fall prey to cheats and tricksters. What poverty is more desperate than a short human life? What sickness can be worse than their always impending death? At least when humans worked the Elven fields they had the good fortune to look up and actually see their gods in the flesh. Aside from the injustice of the relationship between the Church and its adherents, two other problems present themselves in the person of the Koarite Patriarch.

The author of "Worship in the Empire" takes a special interest in the interior decorating of the Koarite leader, "His humble chair is seated at the end of the Whispers Hall, and at the other, a great circular window that views upon the home of our emperors and empresses." Here we have a clear sign of an unhealthy division that slices down into the marrow of human society. Think for a moment on your own internal organs. Would it make sense for the heart to be governed by a separate intelligence from the mind? And if they were to come to cross-purposes, would that be to your benefit? And let us carry the fantasy further, would it be best to have your heart evacuate your chest and inhabitant a distant tower from which it could voyeuristically gaze upon the rest of you? To tear apart the temporal and spiritual authorities in a society is like tearing out your heart and setting it to its own devices. It is obvious that there can be only one supreme authority in a society, one assent among subjects, and one promise of ascent to a race. One cannot serve two masters or accept the promise of two salvations. A clever apologist may try to massage the contradiction by arguing that the human emperors are "chosen by Koar himself" but this only demonstrates the competing claims destined to rip Tamzyrr apart. Human society is accidental society and its chaotic foundation is preserved in the unnatural schism of spiritual and temporal power.

The fickleness of the Arkati, perhaps best exemplified by their so-called king, is not in any way abated by the intercession of the Koarite Church. All mortal races are condemned to live in an increasingly cruel and chaotic world. The only sure remedy for our predicament is found in the capacity to create rightly ordered societies set against the madness of the wilds. Historically, the Arkati are said to have aided in this process when it has amused them to do so, but there is as much if not more historical evidence for their indiscriminate violence. In "The Hymn of Sacred Blood" I write, "The embrace of the Arkati is like the arms of a lover with ever-wandering eyes; it can bring only pain and enhanced insecurity." This remains true. The hierarchy and rites of the Koarite Church provide a false sense of mortal control over Arkati whims but what appears in the guise of covenant is more akin to the empty remorse of an abusive lover. Amongst the Faendryl, by comparison, a people are risen up toward the pinnacle of existence in their Patriarch. Under the Patriarch of Koar, the laity are fed false hope and then crushed beneath the iron weight of a silken slipper.

Koarites, if I could pray, I would pray for you. Instead it is my lot to provide you with reasoned argument and passionate plea with the hope, a true and grounded hope, that you might find a better path.

Silvean Rashere
Re: Against the Koarites 02/26/2013 10:57 PM CST
I had never considered the purpose behind the architecture of the Temple of the Steps. The imagery on that point in particular is extremely poignant, being one of (albeit gently) forced homage. Years ago when first I set foot outside elven lands, the way in which the humans perceive the Arkati was one of the more striking differences I had observed between our cultures. In general, we Vaalor do honor the Arkati, but as Patrons. To those unfamiliar with such a notion, I have often described the practice as paying homage to our Patrons' ideals much more so than to the Patron himself.

To use Koar as an example yet again, the ruler of Liabo demonstrates those virtues that House Vaalor values in a King; in a sense, Koar is a symbolic representation of our own King's sovereignty over the Vaalor people. In the same manner, Eonak exemplifies fortitude as well as industry, and the epitome of the House's warrior tradition is embodied in Kai. I wonder: in your view, are the value of these virtues diminished by giving them "form", in a manner of speaking, in our Patron Arkati?

Teveriel Anduin Vaalor

Re: Against the Koarites 02/27/2013 08:58 AM CST
Excellent.

GM Scribes
Re: Against the Koarites 02/27/2013 09:58 AM CST
Teveriel, your response aptly demonstrates that the Arkati work best as a thought experiment. Through some peculiarity of their breed, they have become exemplars of individual categories. Charl is the guardian of scuttling creatures on the sea floor. Ivas identifies with trysting lovers and tangled sheets. Or, more seriously, Koar is a representation of sovereignty. I think there is something to be gained by this intellectually; a sound thought experiment is a worthy pursuit. I certainly favor the patronage model still in use among the Elven Nations over the groveling degradation of the humans.

Ultimately, I believe the Arkati are a limitation and an imposition. We are burdened by their example because it threatens to arrest our ability to see beyond it. Can we not seek a sovereignty beyond Koar? Let us grow up and grow beyond the exemplars. Close the book of drills and erase the chalkboard; it is time to move on. I will write more on this in a more appropriate forum at some point.

In regard to humans, the core of their problem is that they are more interested in individual salvation than universal progress. The accidents of history have given them the freedom to dwell upon their abbreviated lifespan and, as a result, they have all become beggars after immortality beneath the heels of the Arkati. At their best, humans innovate creative solutions to a variety of practical problems. This capacity abandons them when they dabble in abstractions. They are ill-suited for metaphysics and inevitably seek the easy answer to escape their malaise.

Silvean Rashere
Re: Against the Koarites 02/27/2013 03:28 PM CST
Superb. I'm always delighted to see a new essay of Silvean's, they never disappoint.

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Against the Koarites 02/27/2013 09:29 PM CST
Agreed. Very much looking forward to more of these.

~ Teveriel, Player of.
Re: Against the Koarites 03/05/2013 07:34 PM CST
The Living Law of Tamzyrr

The Empire has been a nation devoted to Koar for just over three and a half centuries, and in this brief span since its adoption of the Godking as patron Arkati, she has grown and learned many things. It is true that humans are ever cognizant of time, which chases them much more rapidly than it does the other races, but it is through their devotion to the ideals of Koargard that humanity escapes brutishness -- it is indeed the Empire’s very devotion to the Godking which ensures that the Sun Throne ever moves toward a greater purpose.

The Godking’s sphere of influence over Law and Justice leads the Empire necessarily to bend its thoughts to the just and proper application of the law. One might ask, what individual decides what is just and what is proper? That very question is the foundation of the strength of the Empire.

Of course there have been would-be Emperors who believe their cause just, their interpretation of the law proper -- indeed the priest Temiln and his faction attempted to make the claim that the Church of Koar itself should rule in Tamzyrr in 4799, resulting in that great schism. It was through the law that Emperor Ommindar the Stout routed Temiln’s campaign, which was determined to violate the the Rysus Codex, the following year.

Thereafter, Ommindar proclaimed, through the Act of Prevalence, that the Patriarch of Koar would henceforth serve at the pleasure the Emperor, solidifying the power of the Empire firmly upon the Sun Throne. As one can see, this battle over the law and the tenets of the Koarite faith resulted in the Empire’s becoming closer to the Godking, and ultimately strengthening the Sun Throne.

Where indeed the long-lived elves have not been convinced to alter their judgement on the actions of those long-ago Faendryl, the Empire permits ordlyn and hathlyn to live within her borders so long as they abide by the Rysus Codex and Chaston’s Edict. While the actions of an individual may prove to be unjust, the direction of the Empire as a whole leads ever toward the ideal of Koargard. Therefore, it can be said that it is the very human tendency toward action and impulsiveness that endears the Sun Throne to the Godking, and results in the evolution of the living law, justice, and their application.

Siegrahm Bartley
Amateur Historian of Elstreth
Re: Against the Koarites 03/09/2013 09:38 PM CST
One finds oneself in the odd position of noting that the individual calling signing himself as Mr. Bartley has a point as regards the otherwise excellent logic used in Lord Rashere's latest missive.

The Church of Koar is, in fact, essentially an extension of the Human Imperial Power, and when the Church attempted to undo that servitude, it was brought to heel. In essence, then, the Church of Koar is a tool of state power in order to bind subjects of Tamzyrr through religious belief as well as political loyalty.

Of course, in a different way, this reinforces Lord Rashere's point. The fact that religious worship is used to turn subjects of Tamzyrr into obedient servants of the same reinforces the idea that religious worship of Arkati fundamentally serves to lower the individual. How could it do otherwise? To define oneself as a worshiper is to define oneself as a supplicant. Having accepted another as your Master, you will follow, rather than lead a path of your own choosing. The Empire, then, seeks not Citizens in the truest sense of the word, but loyal followers and subjects.

The structure and symbolism of the Church proper then, is not an accident, but is precisely intended to serve as a physical symbol of the religious aspect of the kind of political control that the Empire feels is necessary for its own security and stability.

Chaston's Edict serves a similar function: by creating a common and alien enemy who is legally separated and artificially held at the lowest level of Human society, the Empire creates another point of common action for its subjects and assures that the lowest Human subjects under its rule do not become restless through the simple expedient of giving them the assurance that they are not, in fact, the lowest rung of society.

Of course, Tamzyrr is not alone in attempting this form of unity in religious belief and political stability, but the details do matter: among Elven societies a tendency towards a particular Arkati tends to be prevalent, but the crucial difference of seeing the Arkati as patron rather than a higher being deserving of worship does create a difference in the possible mental horizons of people living under such and arraignment.

-Aeillien Mandoragan

Re: Against the Koarites 03/12/2013 08:47 PM CDT
The best part of reading history is the threshing by which facts and happenings are separated from wistful flourish. Siegrahm Bartley believes the direction of the human empire "leads ever to the ideal of Koargard," for instance. Perhaps.

I once observed a prophetess who ripped out the entrails of living animals for the purpose of divining future events. In steaming innards and mucid lung, she found symbol and portent. I am reminded of those steaming innards when I reflect on the chaotic trends of human society. To look for pattern and omen in those greasy particulars is to come at the facts of the world from the wrong direction. I choose instead to engage a dialectic between the world of my senses and metaphysical truths. This process leads to insight into the myopic and limited nature of the Arkati and this is why I call their worship false hope.

Still, it was rightly observed that hope, even false hope, is a powerful thing. It serves to blind the Koarites to the weight of imperial power and the lowering of the individual. Aeillien has already offered useful insight on this.

I have previously referred to the Faendryl relationship to their Patriarch as one of "infinite hope." I should have said "certainty." This better reflects the important distinction between disordered and rightly ordered society, between a people ground down and those who are risen up.

It is a pleasure to have interlocutors.

Silvean Rashere