Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 04:54 AM CDT
An odd request, but I'm trying to track down all of the established in-game time keeping devices. Basically, I'm looking for clock towers, horologes, sundials, perhaps even obelisks, stone monuments or other obscure water/sand devices. So far, all I've found is the horologe in Ta'Illistim's Museum and the clock tower in Solhaven's Ebondrift. Given the richness of our world, I'm sure there must be more. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 05:12 AM CDT

There were pocket watches at EG2013 and EG2014
Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 05:14 AM CDT
Thanks, I have all of those but they are now deemed out of genre apparently, so I'm focusing more on the larger timepieces that are still acceptable for documentation purposes. :)

Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 06:36 AM CDT
In the River's Rest Museum (a bard can pick it up and sing to it for a loresong, but I am no bard):

>w
[Museum, Exhibit Room]
A thick carpet covers the floor. The subtle scent of beeswax and incense infiltrates the room. A delicate maoral stand against the wall holds a small sand timer. Leaning against the wall are two giant palm frond fans. A pair of massive ivory tusks flank a long shelf.
Obvious exits: east
>look on stand
On the delicate maoral stand you see a sand timer.
>look at timer

This is a simple sand timer. It's small enough to fit into a belt pouch and sturdy enough to be carried around without fear of breaking. Yet the glass is cracked and there is no sand left inside.

Attached to the timer is a small tag stating, "During the last years of 4200 M.E. and the first years of 4300 a style of improvisational poetry competition known as 'mosha-ereh' (being in company of poetry) became popular among the educated classes along the southern coastal communities of Elanthia. A poet was given a topic, the timer turned and the poet was expected to extemporize on that topic before the sand ran out."

"This sand timer belonged to the poet Hakim Kharadh, who gained a wide reputation before his mysterious murder in 4292 M.E. Depending on the grain of sand used, Hakim's timer is thought to have been a two minute model."

I seem to recall having seen a sundial somewhere in or around the River's Rest Citadel as well.... but I can't remember where for the life of me.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 07:48 AM CDT
There's a clock tower in the Ebondrift neighborhood in Solhaven. It even has messaging for when it his certain hours, if I'm remembering correctly.

(After Bristenn uses the branding iron on a trivial wound)

Speaking to Bristenn, you say, "That's the sort of thing that makes me wish I didn't know you."
Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 10:53 AM CDT
There were hourglasses that would track different amounts of time sold at Ebon Gate in times past. They don't tell you what time it is but they do track the passage of time so not sure if that is in line with what you are seeking or not? I probably have a few ferreted away somewhere if you have an interest in seeing them.

Also, the various forges have hourglasses in the workrooms as well so you can see how much time is left on your room rental.

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/16/2015 05:28 PM CDT
Thank you Starchtin, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I'll send my bardess over to investigate.

Thanks Aydan. Already noted the Ebondrift clock, it's one of my favourite places in the game.

Thanks Robert, I have one of those hourglasses, along with a few other pocket-sized pieces but at the moment I'm trying to focus on the larger, permanent fixture types for historical reference.

Keep them coming guys, this is all good stuff!

Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/19/2015 12:16 PM CDT
I know where there's a HUGE clock tower!! I also know where there's a miniature one.

:)

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
Re: Elanthian Timepieces 08/20/2015 03:29 PM CDT
>>I know where there's a HUGE clock tower!! I also know where there's a miniature one.

Me too, on both counts, and I have them covered ;)