Build-A-Swamp ! 07/28/2010 11:51 PM CDT
Ever have that urge to let your "inner creepy" out? Here's your chance! We are looking for some fun submissions to help us Build-A-Swamp.. a big one, a creepy-crawly one, a "stand the hair up on the back of your neck" swamp.

>Do I have to join anything or sign up for something?

Not at all. Send in 10 words, or several hundred, totally up to you. Email to my play.net - subject SWAMP. Include your character name if you like, but not mandatory.

>Is this a contest?

Nope, this is just for the fun of seeing the shadows of your imagination brought to life within our text based world.

>Will this be built in game?

Absolutely! However, the exact location is, for now, a closely guarded secret written in undecipherable runes on a tiny parchment locked in a vultite safe, guarded by griffins and one-legged gnomes with pet mastiffs. (That is GM speak for not yet ready for release.)

Some images to spur your creativity have been posted on the GS Facebook with some ideas that might help you get started.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=188929&id=60194690885

If Facebook is just not your thing, any Google search for keywords Swamp, Swamp flora, Swamp animals will garner plenty of ideas and interesting facts to weave within your imaginings.

We are looking for any or all of the following:

Room descriptions - Aim for 2 or 3 sentences. Describe how the room looks, feels, smells. Some rooms focus on a broad view of the surroundings, while others focus on a specific feature - a tree or grove of them, the moss draping from branches, a hummock within the stagnant waters.

Descriptions of items in the environment - Pick one plant and paint it with your words. I have a peculiar penchant for carnivorous plants, but then, who doesn't? Trees, vines, lichen, moss, mud, swamp scum. Describe planked raised walkways if you would like a way to move around in there that does not involve wading up to your knees in muck.

Descriptions of swamp creatures - Alligators, egrets, snakes, insects, turtles, leeches, and others. Describe what you see when you LOOK at them or put together some actions of how they move, what they sound like, and what you might see them doing. Imagine yourself standing in game when one of your own creations comes slithering into the room!

For continuity, please use a general location of habitat, flora and fauna native to the Southeastern U.S. - Mississippi, Florida, the Carolinas, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama etc.

I am looking forward to being both inspired and totally creeped out by your creativity. Please send your ideas to GS4-Flannihan@play.net and don't agonize over perfection. We will be taking snippets here and there, cutting, pasting, rearranging as needed. Submissions accepted until August 31, 2010.

Good luck and try to keep your boots dry!

Flannihan
Text based: Because the book is ALWAYS better than the movie.

This message was originally posted in General Roleplaying, The World of Elanthia. To discuss the above follow the link below.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=9&topic=14&message=2123