Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 03:12 PM CST
The month of October saw a nice gain in public notice for GemStone IV thanks to a tweet from Felicia Day. For those of you unaware, Felicia Day is the star of The Guild, the actress behind Penny in Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, a patron saint of geekdom, and a gorgeous redheaded vixen.

In honor of the immense efforts made by players to get GemStone IV noticed by the world of twitter, we're releasing +5 to Dexterity Vests via the GIFTBOX verb. Please remember that if things move beyond someone touching your vest, you should head to a private, latched room.

And yes, we do want to date your avatars. Every single one of you. Thanks to everyone who donated to TwitChange on our behalf.

Auchand

You may have heard of me.

My NaNoWriMo story-in-progress: http://story.shadowling.com
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 04:09 PM CST
Very nice move, thank you!
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 04:32 PM CST
>Thanks to everyone who donated to TwitChange on our behalf

You're welcome. But, what about us folks who donated that only play Shattered?

~ Drunken Durfin

Bunching your muscles tightly, you flex and proudly display an island with a huge erupting volcano tattoo on your arm.

Shedbolt exclaims, "Durfin won 500k!"
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 04:46 PM CST
Shattered players should be getting +5 Sexterity Hats!

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 04:58 PM CST
>giftbox
Giftboxes are no longer being distributed.

-E
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 05:57 PM CST
>Giftboxes are no longer being distributed.

This is fixed. I'm not sure why it didn't work earlier, but we love our Platinum and Shattered special kids as well.

Also, as far as the appearances of the vests, they're supposed to look like Codex's and Zaboo's clothes from The Guild.

Auchand

My NaNoWriMo story-in-progress: http://story.shadowling.com
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 07:24 PM CST
>This is fixed. I'm not sure why it didn't work earlier, but we love our Platinum and Shattered special kids as well.

Is it either Shattered or Prime, or can a Prime character and a Shattered character on the same account both get a box?
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/24/2010 10:06 PM CST
>This is fixed. I'm not sure why it didn't work earlier, but we love our Platinum and Shattered special kids as well.

Awesome!

>Also, as far as the appearances of the vests, they're supposed to look like Codex's and Zaboo's clothes from The Guild.

Hilarious!

~ Drunken Durfin

Bunching your muscles tightly, you flex and proudly display an island with a huge erupting volcano tattoo on your arm.

Shedbolt exclaims, "Durfin won 500k!"
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/25/2010 01:07 PM CST
<<Is it either Shattered or Prime, or can a Prime character and a Shattered character on the same account both get a box?

I'm pretty sure it is instance based, since all giftbox items previously have been. I've been able to get them, on the same account, on both a Prime and a Platinum character. So I imagine you could get one on a Shattered character too.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/26/2010 02:11 AM CST
>>Also, as far as the appearances of the vests, they're supposed to look like Codex's and Zaboo's clothes from The Guild.<<

Prior to this promotion, I had never heard of Felicia Day or The Guild.

By total coincidence, I sat across from a big Guild / Felicia Day fan at Thanksgiving dinner tonight and he went on at length about her.

Seems like she was the perfect tweet promotion selection. Kudos to you who took this ram by the horns. I hope we get more grassroots GS promotion like this.

-E
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/26/2010 12:34 PM CST
<<I'm pretty sure it is instance based, since all giftbox items previously have been. I've been able to get them, on the same account, on both a Prime and a Platinum character.>>

I can confirm this, I obtained the giftbox in Prime & Shattered, same account.

<<Prior to this promotion, I had never heard of Felicia Day or The Guild.>>

Same here, and I'd also like to offer appreciation and thanks for the effort & donations involved to market the game. Hopefully, we get some keepers out the interest!

Roblar's player
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/26/2010 10:05 PM CST
>Seems like she was the perfect tweet promotion selection. Kudos to you who took this ram by the horns. I hope we get more grassroots GS promotion like this.

Yeah, she was perfect. That is why I chimed in that she would be the best choice rather than Levar Burton.

~Jay

"You know nothing Mr. Burton!" - Big Trouble in Little China
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 09:51 AM CST
>Duane takes your vest and peers at it through a large green crystal lens. He hands it back, saying, "Sorry, Necen, I can't recharge this."

The vests seem to have something wonky about them in terms of recharging. Could someone fix it?

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 10:55 AM CST
Maybe it's just full?
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 11:07 AM CST
>Maybe it's just full?

That's a different message - "I believe your [item] is already fully charged."

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 03:01 PM CST
Emerdan upon investigation into the chargabilty of the vest mentioned in a Plat folder. That upon his looking into them they are in fact not rechargable. He mentioned that we should bring it up here to find out if it was intentional or not.

So I'm bringing it up, is it possible for these vests to be made rechargable? or is this a one shot use it till it crumbles (actually persists, just runs out of charges) giftbox item?

Thanks

Senglent and his wayward kin
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 03:28 PM CST
It wasn't really an investigation... I claimed a giftbox and just looked at how the vest was built. To me (I'm not an expert on enhancives), it looks like it was set up to not be rechargeable, but that's as far as I looked (i.e., did I go confirm that the AG system looked for x, y, or z before saying no? I didn't). Is it intended to be that way? I have no idea. That's where we are. [shrugs]

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
~
"If you love, love without reservation. If you fight, fight without fear."
"Why's it always the ... that pass the test?"
"Not bad... let's do that again."
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 04:21 PM CST
>So I'm bringing it up, is it possible for these vests to be made rechargable? or is this a one shot use it till it crumbles (actually persists, just runs out of charges) giftbox item?

One of the stipulations given to us regarding this particular release was that they be made non-rechargeable via the AG.

It's worth noting that these are actually the work/brainchild of a few different people.

GM Sirina encouraged the project, GM Wyrom originally had the "wouldn't it be cool if," I did the design work, and GM Mestys gave the mechanical approvals.

Auchand

The ongoing live write of my novel-in-progress: http://story.shadowling.com
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 04:30 PM CST
Ugh. Not rechargeable, eh? Good to know.
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 04:38 PM CST
Non-rechargable really puts a damper on it, not gonna lie.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 04:40 PM CST
>Non-rechargable really puts a damper on it, not gonna lie.

^. I don't understand why it needs to be limited in such a fashion.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 05:06 PM CST
perhaps because it was a spiff release, not intended to be a permanent addition for any character.

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 05:10 PM CST
That's disappointing.

Might have well have just had a table in each town giving account attuned enhancive potions. Calling it a giftbox item, gives the wrong impression.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 06:55 PM CST
any chance the quote "One of the stipulations given to us regarding this particular release was that they be made non-rechargeable via the AG." means that you CAN charge it by another means?
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 07:34 PM CST
Next question.

What are the alteration limitations on the vests?

I had assumed that because they were pin-worn, there would be a great amount of flexibility. Since, even though they are a "homage" to the Guild characters, they are, lets admit it, rather ugly.

Can they then be altered into most any other pin-worn within reason? Or must they always be "vest"-like?

Hugs,

~Jay

"Seriously, when I see "Uninvited" cartoon hearts flutter around my head."
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 11:25 PM CST
>I had assumed that because they were pin-worn, there would be a great amount of flexibility. Since, even though they are a "homage" to the Guild characters, they are, lets admit it, rather ugly.

Wow, classy.

>What are the alteration limitations on the vests?

They should remain vests or something with which the ezscript should make sense.

Auchand

The ongoing live write of my novel-in-progress:
http://story.shadowling.com
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 11:30 PM CST
>Wow, classy.

Did you take offense? I mean the design is just a text rendering of something someone else designed. If you did, I apologize for kicking the baby.

Ah, I forgot the EZscript. I will adjust accordingly. Thanks.

Hugs,

~Jay

"Seriously, when I see "Uninvited" cartoon hearts flutter around my head."
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/28/2010 11:30 PM CST
Cool, I read the build correctly at least.

Shots ;)

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
~
"If you love, love without reservation. If you fight, fight without fear."
"Why's it always the ... that pass the test?"
"Not bad... let's do that again."
Re: Better Than a Real World Quest 11/29/2010 01:24 AM CST
Still merchant rechargeable tho, yeah?