An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/07/2017 08:45 PM CDT
Reports of an ominous web blanketing the entire sky have been springing from coast to coast! Rumors have it that small spidersilk cocoons have been falling from the web and making their way into treasure chests found across Elanthia! Opening these cocoons don't appear to be much of a treat, as insect carapaces are in most of them! These carapaces can also be broken open for all sorts of mundane loot, but some lucky adventurers have reported finding some really rare things! Be on the look out for these cocoons throughout the week (7/7 through 7/14).

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/07/2017 08:53 PM CDT
way to accidentally announce "nothing special"
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/07/2017 11:11 PM CDT
Very neat. Does 125 blow up the cocoons? If so, I guess I'll be hitting the locksmith!

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/07/2017 11:15 PM CDT
It can I believe.

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/08/2017 11:25 PM CDT
Over 9000 cocoons have been found already!!

We should break 10k by morning.

Those of you that automate the retrieval of items from treasure chests, we are noticing you are leaving the cocoons behind. The janitor is really getting a ton of these! At least 50 cocoons with special items have been trashed!

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/08/2017 11:54 PM CDT

>Those of you that automate the retrieval of items from treasure chests, we are noticing you are leaving the cocoons behind. The janitor is really getting a ton of these! At least 50 cocoons with special items have been trashed!

As I might not have any time to hunt this week, I'll gladly take them if you want to collect them from the janitor for me.
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/09/2017 12:11 AM CDT
Janitor dumpster diving!

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/09/2017 02:21 AM CDT
sigh 9000? and i have found 2 crappy ones lol
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/09/2017 02:21 AM CDT

sure that wasn't 900?
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/09/2017 06:55 AM CDT

>Janitor dumpster diving!

I have no issues with saving perfectly good items from the trash.
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/09/2017 12:26 PM CDT
Has anyone found any special items other than the exp/rpa orbs?

>Janitor dumpster diving!

This could potentially replace the EG Dig/Games, you'd have people pouring money into it I'm sure.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/09/2017 01:33 PM CDT
>>sure that wasn't 900?

I'm sure.

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/12/2017 01:51 PM CDT
In case anyone is not aware, cocoons will poof on 8/1 (per Wyrom) so do not sit on those boxes too long.

:D

Askip
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/13/2017 02:22 PM CDT
I have added the expiration to ANALYZE. It is 1am on 8/1, so don't save them until 8/1 and do a mass opening.

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/14/2017 03:20 PM CDT
As neat as these cocoons are, they're just as stupidly annoying to open up as the clumps of sand/dirt/jars/etc you find when digging. Please, for the love of everything else that is tedious in the game, remove the whole aspect of cutting your hand(s) when opening these things up.

>As you reach inside your insect carapace and break it apart, something from inside the carapace falls to the ground. You somehow managed to cut yourself and wring your hand in pain!

I know, it's the last day to find these cocoons in treasure boxes and I probably won't have to deal with them much longer, but out of the 23 cocoons that I've opened, I've cut my hand 3 times.

On a side note, I found nothing good out of them:
Around 2k in silver (total from about 1/3 of all I opened)
A cup valued around 400 silver
A necklace valued around 600 silver
2 wands (glass & bloodwood)
Various gems, nothing of much value

I've gone through just over 200 boxes on various characters and found 23 cocoons. That's roughly 1 cocoon every 8 boxes. So that's probably about par for everyone else....or am I just unlucky? Feels low, but then again I'm not out there just hammering the pavement trying to farm boxes and cocoons. Just doing normal hunting as I normally do.

Anyway, thanks for the cocoons, but please do us a favor and remove the chance that you cut your hand. If you're unlucky enough and upon opening a couple of them in a row, you can end up with a rank 2 hand wound....this aspect with the cocoons/jars/clumps of dirt/sand/etc makes me want to literally bang my head on my desk.

-Drumpel
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/14/2017 04:20 PM CDT

On Beldannon i got nothing but carapaces. On Ushakaron i got an awesome orange orb. I probably went through 300boxes maybe more. 20-30 cocoons maybe more.

I understand they were really rare but damn that sucked.
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/14/2017 04:32 PM CDT
Odd, I've never cut my hand on anything like this.
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/14/2017 05:54 PM CDT
>> Be on the look out for these cocoons throughout the week (7/7 through 7/14).

Mailer that just went out says throughout the month. They sticking around a bit longer?
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/14/2017 11:53 PM CDT
>>As neat as these cocoons are, they're just as stupidly annoying to open up as the clumps of sand/dirt/jars/etc you find when digging. Please, for the love of everything else that is tedious in the game, remove the whole aspect of cutting your hand(s) when opening these things up.

The carapaces are the exact same thing from digging. But fair enough. The carapaces associated with this event will no longer injure. Those that do injure, the rate has been reduced significantly.

>>I know, it's the last day to find these cocoons in treasure boxes and I probably won't have to deal with them much longer, but out of the 23 cocoons that I've opened, I've cut my hand 3 times.

Just so you know, 3 injures was SO below the average too.

>>I've gone through just over 200 boxes on various characters and found 23 cocoons. That's roughly 1 cocoon every 8 boxes. So that's probably about par for everyone else....or am I just unlucky? Feels low, but then again I'm not out there just hammering the pavement trying to farm boxes and cocoons. Just doing normal hunting as I normally do.

Those numbers are accurate. Cocoons are loaded into a treasure chest at a rate of about 12%. At the time of this post, 13310 cocoons have been generated. The rate for orbs is already pretty high.

>>On a side note, I found nothing good out of them:

With the injure update, I also upped the odds of gems and dropped the odds of junk (horseshoes, etc).

>>Mailer that just went out says throughout the month. They sticking around a bit longer?

Yeah, we'll keep cocoons going for the month.

One other thing, orbs aren't the only thing that can be found. There are some ultra rare finds.

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 09:20 AM CDT
>The carapaces are the exact same thing from digging. But fair enough. The carapaces associated with this event will no longer injure. Those that do injure, the rate has been reduced significantly.

Yeah! No more injury! Thank you.

>With the injure update, I also upped the odds of gems and dropped the odds of junk (horseshoes, etc).
>Yeah, we'll keep cocoons going for the month.
>One other thing, orbs aren't the only thing that can be found. There are some ultra rare finds.

Good to know they'll be hanging around for the month. Also, awesome update with the more gem drops and less junk finds.

-Drumpel
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 10:28 AM CDT
>>One other thing, orbs aren't the only thing that can be found. There are some ultra rare finds.

I want details! What's been found so far? What teasers can you give us for what remains?

Do we get a higher drop rate % in Platinum? LOL.

~Issalya

You see High Inquisitor Brinret Ithillote the Executor of Vengeance.
She appears to be of elven descent.
He is very tall and appears to be full grown.
You whisper aloud, "I'm so confused right now."
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 11:48 AM CDT
Did you forget to keep them on in Platinum? I just went through a dozen SoS boxes without finding one. Normally I find 2 or 3.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 01:50 PM CDT
>>I want details! What's been found so far? What teasers can you give us for what remains?

No teasers. Those that have found something can share though!

>>Do we get a higher drop rate % in Platinum? LOL.

Platinum has higher tier orbs.

>>Did you forget to keep them on in Platinum? I just went through a dozen SoS boxes without finding one. Normally I find 2 or 3.

Cocoons? They're on. I'd have to manually turn them off.

Wyrom, PM
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 03:42 PM CDT
Do the rates of cocoons slow down when hunting pressure pushes loot down?

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 04:05 PM CDT

Maybe you accidentally turned them off. You should check. :)
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 04:22 PM CDT
>No teasers. Those that have found something can share though!

I found a slime covered doorknob.

~ Methais
Re: An Ominous Web Blankets the Sky! 07/15/2017 07:48 PM CDT
>>Do the rates of cocoons slow down when hunting pressure pushes loot down?

Any box has a chance to generate them. I see them populating in boxes in Platinum though!

Wyrom, PM