GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 03:39 PM CST
It occurred to me today that 5 of the last 6 games I have bought recently were games I heard of first when I saw them being played on twitch. The sixth I had heard of but went and checked out some streams before plopping down the 60 bucks. It sure would be nice to see a decent GS4 presence on twitch. There are a couple of streamers but any twitch streamer will tell you how hard it can be to get started. So, I have a suggestion...

The hardest part about streaming twitch is getting a critical mass of followers so that totally new people can see the stream. But, GS already has a very close knit community we can harness to get that viewer count and push a GS stream up high in the browse lists.

Simu should try and do some official GS streams. Find one of those captivating personalities from radio free simucon and stream like once a week. Here comes the really smart part- use the twitch raffle system to select for IG prizes. Run a nice RP event for folks to see how GS plays (maybe something with a limited silence in the room so newbs can read the scroll) and also be raffling for GALD via twitch plug-in. I know plenty of GSers also watch twitch and the signup is free and easy. Instant viewers, GALD for players, free advertising (with links to F2P accounts and GSwiki in the profile on twitch), and more face time for Kveta (or whomever). Everyone wins.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 03:49 PM CST
Very cool idea!!
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 03:57 PM CST
Can't say as i'd enjoy watching someone else play Gemstone, but i'd definitely help out by at least turning the stream on and letting it run in the background. We could also subscribe to the Stream to bring a bit of cash directly to the GMs running it.

It wouldn't cost anything but a bit of time on the GM's part, so why not?
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 04:26 PM CST
I've thought about, and even briefly did a one-off, doing a GS stream on Twitch. It would probably be a better experience with a player doing it since much of what a GM has open when connected and doing stuff with us is protected by the NDA and wouldn't be able to be streamed (from what I've heard). Might they want to do it as a player, possibly but then that character would be outed as played by a GM - not the best thing around.

What sort of gameplay do you think folks would like to see who come in to watch a stream?

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 04:48 PM CST
I imagined it as being an RP event (maybe a harlequin troop performance or royal audience with some intrigue ala the green knight). Something that would be interesting to the players attending as well and that lets them interact to some extent. Streaming account could be normal player type account with another GM in the room handling the rewards portion or springing the surprises on the streamer.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 05:37 PM CST
Durakar is pretty spot on about things being protected. Even if a GM had just the Story window for SF open a lot of what scrolls across the screen would still need to be hidden somehow.

I do really like the concept in general, though. I've always wanted to do a "live-action stream" of an invasion with a GM talking on one end and a player participating in the invasion on the other end talking. Just have to find a way to realistically get it done.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 05:46 PM CST
What about Mentors? Do their bells and whistles disqualify them from something like this?
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 05:53 PM CST
Two GMs could work in tandem, with one GM rolling up a new character on a new non-GM account and streaming it. The other GM could play alongside them off of Twitch, and do whatever it is they had planned for that Twitch session and we'd only see it from the "player's" eyes.
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/14/2016 06:29 PM CST
>I do really like the concept in general, though. I've always wanted to do a "live-action stream" of an invasion with a GM talking on one end and a player participating in the invasion on the other end talking. Just have to find a way to realistically get it done.

This sounds really cool. I'd be down for doing some setup with this and handling the playerside. We can do a conference call setup with Skype or something similar to pipe in the GM as voice only (or with cam if they'd like). Any of you fine GMs want to collaborate on this?

>What about Mentors? Do their bells and whistles disqualify them from something like this?

These can be turned off and not used easily enough.

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
Re: GS4 and Twitch: Event suggestion. 02/15/2016 10:40 PM CST

The twitch stream chat for this event would be most epic with all of Gemstone's skilled textualists in it.