Don't Forget to Vote! 03/01/2015 03:33 PM CST
It's the beginning of the month and that time again! Don't forget to vote for us daily at Top MUD Sites! Woo!

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-gemstone.html

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/14/2015 11:25 AM CDT
Could the information for this website be updated?

http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=GemStone+IV

"GemStone III (www.gemstone.net), the biggest multiplayer text-based
game ever, has been enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of players
since 1989, and gets better every day! Explore up to 30,000
unique rooms, enjoy custom items and character appearances,
hundreds of intelligent creatures to hunt and interact with,
unique spells, festivals, roleplaying events, and constant
improvements and expansions.

Visit the documenation section on our website for detailed info
on our races, professions, organizations, in-depth history, items
and more. http://www.play.net/gs3/info/index_of_docs.asp.

With a staff of over 100 professional GameMasters working day and
night, GemStone III is continually improving and expanding to meet
your needs and wishes. Over 1000 players during prime hours share
the fun every day - sign up for a FREE TRIAL and join the adventure!
Or contact melissam@simutronics.com directly if you would like a
free trial without the hassle of providing a credit card."

Point of Contact: email: melissam (at) simutronics (dot) com

I don't know if the site is quite as popular as topmudsites, but still worth using as it's a free advertising tool.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/14/2015 01:15 PM CDT
I emailed them last Sunday. I think wyrom tried at one point too but working on getting them to respond in some way.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/18/2015 03:36 PM CDT
As Geijon stated, we've tried a few times. And we can usually get them to respond to the inquiry, but never get the information to update the account. I've thought about just making a new account, but we really need to get that info updated so it's not conflicting.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/18/2015 03:56 PM CDT
I still "partake" in this voting but, it's honestly the biggest joke ever.

I am all for publicizing our game, but considering that this particular website is run by the game that always wins? I think by giving them page hits we're doing more of a favor for them than it does for us.

And if they won't update the GSIV info? Dude I started running a script to randomly tag that site every day within +/- 1 hour a long time ago. At least http://distrowatch.com/ is relatively more honest about the fact that these metrics mean absolutely nothing.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/18/2015 04:07 PM CDT
While the TopMUDSites itself isn't a great form of traffic for us, it has brought in a few new players since the drive for new player acquisition. I wish there were other avenues that didn't rely heavily on "voting" like this that had a lot of unbiased seekers of text-based RPGs.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:16 PM CDT
::cough cough::

eh um...I might have flamed the webmaster. He claimed this?

"As for the descriptions of the games, I'm sorry you don't like them (that was a lie but it's what I'm expected to say). The MUD owners choose their own description. I could set them all myself if you like but as you pointed out, they would probably then all just say "Not as good as Aardwolf"."

So um, apparently the description of GSIV on topmudsites is set by us and um...right because they are so honest and forthcoming.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:19 PM CDT
I've had good luck seeing movement on Mudconnector. We're at rank 72 and it requires you have a registered login to vote so it's not random. Largely though I've posted on the forum and one or two people have tried us out based on response.

http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=GemStone+IV

I've updated the main link off Players Corner too per suggestion.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:20 PM CDT
Can you expand on the distowatch comment Daid? It's tracking unique IPs on the votes or something?
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:24 PM CDT

>"As for the descriptions of the games, I'm sorry you don't like them (that was a lie but it's what I'm expected to say). The MUD owners choose their own description. I could set them all myself if you like but as you pointed out, they would probably then all just say "Not as good as Aardwolf"."

what was your issue with it? Wyrom told us he updated it himself.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:33 PM CDT
>Can you expand on the distowatch comment Daid? It's tracking unique IPs on the votes or something?

Of course! Never ask a daid to speak because...he will! I hadn't been to distrowatch in awhile and actually I was making crap up. But here goes!

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

"The counters are no longer displayed on the individual distributions pages, but all visits are logged. Only one hit per IP address per day is counted."

Not that I even see what-so-ever the concept of...competing with MUDs. Or "voting" as if like, clicking a weblink with ads was helping us? I don't mind feeling stupid, sometimes.

Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:35 PM CDT
I believe we're getting some crossed signals here.

I think we have access to the topmudsites description. It's mudconnect that has been the problem to get access to. It is the one with the WAAAAAAAY out of date info.

SGM Sleken
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:40 PM CDT
I read this part of the thread:

Wyrom wrote this:

>As Geijon stated, we've tried a few times. And we can usually get them to respond to the inquiry, but never get the information to update the account. I've thought about just making a new account, but we really need to get that info updated so it's not conflicting

And so I said this:

>>"As for the descriptions of the games, I'm sorry you don't like them (that was a lie but it's what I'm expected to say). The MUD owners choose their own description. I could set them all myself if you like but as you pointed out, they would probably then all just say "Not as good as Aardwolf"."

Vanessa, you inquired:

>what was your issue with it? Wyrom told us he updated it himself.

Um...as far as I see..he tried to update it failed. Don't ask my why I flamed the webmaster of a site and got a reply when um...well in any case I am 100% confident whatever Wyrom or Simu ever said to them was more polite than what I said.

Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:43 PM CDT
Also, I do want to just say, as a matter of fact, I never mentioned our game nor any support from anyone affiliated with this game in an email I may have sent.

In case anyone thought I was so far off...

Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:47 PM CDT
I updated the Players Corner Bump Gemstone IV to the top original link with /r/ MUD from Reddit. It seems to have about 2600 subscribers so not a small group of people who identify with MUD games.

I sent this to Wyrom and it was why he responded originally, but MudConnector said this when we tried to update some of it and now Wyrom is looking to get it fixed or remove it and resubmit. The response from Mudconnector was kind of abstract if you ask me.

Can you update the MUD logo to the Gemstone IV logo as http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/GemstoneIV_Logo.png

The current APM for the game can be contacted at GS4-Wyrom@play.net versus melissa@simutronics.com. She left for WoW in 2006 or so.

Thanks,
Geijon

Hi, we do not update the mud listings as they are owned by the people who submit them and it is their responsibility to keep them with update info. However, if the person that is currently associated with the listing is no longer involved somebody else from simutronics is more than welcome to submit a request to transfer the listing to a new tmc account...

Thank you,
Andy

Maybe I'm just not good enough as a player! I did say EQ on Melissa originally I think.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:51 PM CDT
I have read this post more carefully...

It is clear to me I made a rather serious mistake, and I apologize for that. Still, you'd have to be pretty amazed what email I got back....hmmm.....well anyway!

Woops?

Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:55 PM CDT

>>>"As for the descriptions of the games, I'm sorry you don't like them (that was a lie but it's what I'm expected to say). The MUD owners choose their own description. I could set them all myself if you like but as you pointed out, they would probably then all just say "Not as good as Aardwolf"."

I'm just really not following what site you're talking about when you mention Aardwolf.
GSIV MUD Promotion & advertising for players post template 03/19/2015 02:57 PM CDT
Looking for help from the players or staff as to what kind of entry should be posted on the topmudsite forums. This seems the common place for game attraction there.

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/advertising-players/

I'd think we could use this post elsewhere for MudConnector or if we want to point out friends to some kind of announcement and descriptor. I'd almost kind of call it a guild recruitment announcement to tell people what we're about, what we do, and how cool we are so you attempt to join. :)
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 02:59 PM CDT
<<I'm just really not following what site you're talking about when you mention Aardwolf.>>

Aardwolf is always number 1 by a broken amount over at www.topmudsites.com. There is additional bits to the story, but it's not worth relating. They do legitimately have the most players...until DR and GSIV opened a f2p option so we'll see :)
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 03:01 PM CDT

>Aardwolf is always number 1 by a broken amount over at www.topmudsites.com. There is additional bits to the story, but it's not worth relating. They do legitimately have the most players...until DR and GSIV opened a f2p option so we'll see :)

so you were talking about the topmudsites description?
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 03:04 PM CDT
>I'm just really not following what site you're talking about when you mention Aardwolf.

I mostly failed at reading comprehension, I think.

Though I am kind of annoyed that topmudsites is run by affiliates of Aardwolf yet finding this information on the website is either impossible or non-trivial.

I almost feel bad for my email to the web-admin, except the parts where he mostly was like "GFY" and gave strange commentary to issues I never cared about.

Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 03:11 PM CDT
Also, ummm..hey GM Aulis! From your avatar, I presume you also like the blog hyperbole and a half?

Sorry if I derailed this very nice post you made into a pile of mayhem. If you need my address to hunt me down...

Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 03:37 PM CDT
Is it at all out of the question for Wyrom to try to contact Melissa for the information? I imagine he could provide evidence of his current position for GS.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 03:40 PM CDT
I may have found a meme generator....

yay avatars!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 04:00 PM CDT
<<so you were talking about the topmudsites description?>>

No. Topmudsites is fixed. Our player base ranks 4th in players, but we are usually 9-15th in voting. Folks don't think Aardwolf generates all those votes legitimately because they only have about 75 more players that Dragonrealms.

MudConnector's description is wrong. That has a voting format that requires registration, which feels more accurate. Topmudsites doesn't require registration and it's IP based so your PC, your laptop, your phone can all vote and so can bots.

Forums and Reddit is probably the way to go on all of these so I've been posting in them recently and with positive responses.
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/19/2015 04:01 PM CDT

>No. Topmudsites is fixed. Our player base ranks 4th in players, but we are usually 9-15th in voting. Folks don't think Aardwolf generates all those votes legitimately because they only have about 75 more players that Dragonrealms.

yes, so why did his request to the other site even mention Aardwolf?
Re: Don't Forget to Vote! 03/20/2015 09:50 AM CDT
Sorry for the confusion here. Geijon and I had talked in emails, and that likely didn't translate here. TopMUDSites.com is updated, and I can update the description where needed. I updated it about F2P not too long ago. MudConnect is something both GM Solomon and I have tried to recover on several occasions.

~Wyrom, APM