Cost of characters 12/14/2011 04:38 PM CST
I think a good way to increase character base would be to possibly offer more slots for character in the basic account. Allow those with the basic to have 5 characters for $15 a month. I know a few people who have closed down their accounts because they couldn't justify paying so much for one character. Allowing more characters for the same price would probably encourage a lot of them to return to the game to play some of the professions they never got a chance to because they didn't want to pay. I think after the 5 character slots are used up the $2.50 for additional characters should still be used. I don't think this would take away from the incentive to go premium either because you're still getting 3x the characters plus all the special perks that comes with premium.

For new players who stumble upon this game some way or another and see that they only get 1 character but have to pay $15 for it probably wouldn't get any farther then that. I know if I hadn't had family who played GS I wouldn't have gotten into it because of the price. With other MMORPG games offering the number of characters they do for $15, a little competitive pricing wouldn't be a half bad idea for Gemstone and Simutronics as a whole.

Would love to hear other peoples opinion about this, whether good and especially the bad about this because I couldn't find any cons.

The Legion's Ranger
Re: Cost of characters 12/15/2011 01:22 AM CST
Like it.

Doug
Re: Cost of characters 12/15/2011 09:00 AM CST

Like it too.

Bairyn
Re: Cost of characters 12/15/2011 11:52 AM CST
Can't say I can really think of a down side from a players perspective, but lets play devils advocate for a moment.

Sure Simutronics might lose a little revenue when people who have been paying an extra character slot or 5 on a basic. But would they get enough new blood, or returning old blood, to make up the difference?

This is a Niche game, and honestly most kids now-a-days go for the flash and quick feel good of accomplishment like from say.... WoW. GS is more centered around RP then items/skills/levels as a goal the way they have it setup.

So while I personally like the idea I'm not so sure Simutronics would go for it.

Senglent and his wayward kin.
Re: Cost of characters 12/15/2011 12:27 PM CST

I think this is a good idea as well. I know a lot of friends who left because of the cost of premium but didn't want to just play one character. They would have happily gone without the extra lockers, Mist Harbor and the merchants if they could have had two or three characters (or more) on a regular account for the regular account charge.
Re: Cost of characters 12/17/2011 12:19 AM CST
I honestly think this is a great idea from experience, I went to WoW for about 2 years because of the advantages of getting more characters for the same price. I was able to experience almost every single match of races/professions that I wanted to. While I don't think you should get a ton of extra characters for the same price I do think that 5 is a reasonable amount. It gives incentive for players who have left to come back and it also is a bit of a teaser. Players see how much better it is to have more than one character but can't settle with just 5 so they move up to premium not only for 3x the amount of characters but also for the other bonuses you get. I know that I consider leaving almost every time I come across a new game that is the same amount of money to play but I get so much more. If I were given more characters I probably would not leave the game at all.