Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/06/2018 05:18 AM CDT
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused as to the purpose and benefit of the long-term experience pool, and the long-term experience boost. I've read the wiki article a few times, and I think I'm missing something. Could someone explain the practical purpose of the long-term experience pool and why I would want to convert present field experience to long-term experience using the boost? I guess I just don't understand the benefit of converting 500 "now" experience into 250 "later" experience...which suggests that I really don't understand the underlying benefit of the whole long-term experience pool. I have long-term experience boosts piling up, and I feel like I'm supposed to be using them ha.

Thanks!

J

A plains orc warrior begins a lumbering run toward you. Just before he reaches you, he heaves himself into the air in a flying kick.

You nimbly lean out of the way and the plains orc warrior sails northeast.
Re: Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/06/2018 06:43 AM CDT
So once you're fried, your mind is full and you cannot add anymore experience until you absorb some experience.

Scenario#1
You have a bandit bounty and fry your mind with 5 bandits left to kill. You could use a long term experience boost here to empty your mind, finish killing the 5 required bandits, and then going to town to turn in the bounty and saturate your mind.

Scenario#2
You're grinding GoS prestige points or Voln favor. A quick way to advance in either society is to just buckle down and grind favor. Long term experience boosts would allow you to grind away wihout basically throwing away a ton of experience.

Scenario#3
Duskruin Arena. A lot of folks use long term experience boosts while grinding the arena for bloodscrip.

Scenario#4
Reim. You're going to fry incredibly fast in a group in Reim, but you only have 2 hours to complete it. You could sit around and wait for your mind to empty everytime you fill it up or you could pop those long term experience boosts and max out your Reim Scrip while grinding your way to the finish.

The bottom line is that long term experience boosts provide a second pool of experience to draw from. If you can fry relatively fast, let's say 5 min, your going to absorb way more experience over the long term by utilizing the boosts. Someone absorbing from 2 pools of experience is flat out going to level faster than someone drawing from one pool. The main determinate here is your time.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.
Re: Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/06/2018 08:59 AM CDT
I have several characters with many 100s unused, not yet 1000 on a character, but getting there. You need to be playing quite a lot and quite long periods at a time to make them pay off. You also need to have a primary objective which is other than gaining field experience, but which is nevertheless handing out significant amounts of field experience.

Reim/warcamp/arena are all the sort of situation where using them can easily pay off, AG culls sometimes. Maybe 5 left on a combatant cull would be enough with all the bykill involved in Nelemar, but 5 left on a bandit cull is going to be a marginal gain at best, it would take me a good 10 bandits to refry, I struggle to make numbed from belled on the smaller culls.

My main uses all his in Reim, and about 1 Reim per week uses them all up. He levels at about 80k exp per week, and thats enough to absorb his LTE bucket, but it wouldn't have to be much less for using the lot to fill it faster than it empties. I reckon if you are under 50k per week you probably couldn't absorb it all anyway if you used all the boosts. (and on my 20k per week alts its pointless using any at all).

>So once you're fried, your mind is full and you cannot add anymore experience until you absorb some experience.

Fried covers the top 10% of your bucket, so you could well have around 100 still available when you first hit fried. Also when your mind is full critters are worth less field experience. e.g. if I hit fried with 5 sirens (sirens average 50 exp each at belled for a capped character) left to cull, and only killed those sirens, I might well be adding field experience with every kill. If I was taking down GWEs instead (150 each at cap) one more after fried and I'm almost certainly full.
Re: Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/06/2018 09:29 AM CDT
Another point is that if you've been doing all of that over time, you've got this huge pool of points sitting there to be absorbed, without you having to do anything.

Which it does, 250 points per day.

So if you find yourself unable to login for a year--two broken hands in traction, deployed overseas, Being Bubba's Besty in county lockup, whatever--when you get back, you could very well find yourself a level (around the ~70-ish range) or two (around the ~20-ish range) higher...
Re: Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/06/2018 11:24 AM CDT
The only character I make regular use of them with is my sorcerer who usually hunts til he can't pick up any more loot so he can get necro juice faster. He usually bells about half-way through a hunt so I'm not actually losing anything by using them.

The only other time I've found them worth using is when I'm somewhere my chances of dying are fairly high in an area I'm not likely to get rescued in. If I get a dangerous critter task for something difficult for me to kill somewhere like RR (for example), I'll use them while looking for it since I'll just lose the exp anyway if I'm unsuccessful.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/06/2018 06:41 PM CDT
Thanks everyone...great thread and very informative. If anyone that revises the wiki is around, might want to add some of these examples and suggested uses. They really help.

J

A plains orc warrior begins a lumbering run toward you. Just before he reaches you, he heaves himself into the air in a flying kick.

You nimbly lean out of the way and the plains orc warrior sails northeast.
Re: Long-Term Experience and Boost 07/07/2018 11:23 AM CDT
Which page, specifically, are you thinking needs more information?

This one? https://gswiki.play.net/Experience_pool#Long-term_Experience_Boost