Rogue stuff... 08/09/2011 02:16 PM CDT
I'm loving that I'm back in the game after 10+ years, and not too much has changed radically. The things that have changed radically, to me, are the levelling stuff and skill numbers but that stuff I don't mind at all, just so long as I can still play the game and it doesn't suddenly make my character a lousy level 3 picker when I could get -600+ stuff the day before, heh heh.

The main thing that's bothering me badly is the rogue guild skill things. Not all of them, just the lockpicking one. In Plat, there's so rarely enough people for my character to get any reps done. Then there's those who are so far above my characters level that I can't do those boxes anyway. Then there's the fact there's an awful lot of competition (there's more I'd like to say about this, but for now I'll see if I can 'fix' things IG and IC).

Would there be some way to make it slightly easier somehow for a rogue to go through ranks in the lockpicking skill? Hell, even the other skills could probably use the same lessening. I mean, somehow I learned how to disarm every trap there is, then suddenly this plate trap thing comes along and I can't learn it because...what/why?

Why can't I also maybe 'learn' to disarm this thing from the town 'smith? Maybe make it so he has to be bribed and one has to buy the tools from him and him only (or whatever town 'smith one wishes to 'learn' from). Make it so one can't just learn in one sitting but at least can, after the first lesson, go out and try to disarm at his/her own risk and the anger of a customer. Make it so that something like x number of times one needs to bribe the town 'smith until one is a master at it and as good as one could get from the guild training. Don't make the 'bribe' cheap, but then don't make each one a million silvers either...that'd be worse than going through the guild! At least this way I'd have a better chance at actually being able to be a high level rogue and not say to a customer something a level 5 rogue would say, ie 'I'm sorry, but this trap is too hard for me to get. I can't learn how to disarm the thing because my guild doesn't think I'm smart enough or good enough to teach until they make me jump through endless hoops and be their circus monkey for 10 more years of my life'.

I dunno. I may be way off on this, but I've had all this time now to keep thinking on it and trying to get opinions from others on it and I still keep coming up with the same conclusion as above. If someone else can say something in a light I haven't heard yet, great, and maybe it will make sense finally, but i kinda doubt it.

Hopefully this hasn't been gone over a million times already, but since I'm on dial-up (UGH!) going through the forums trying to find things takes more time than is worth too often. I also don't want any of the other guilds to think I want to be treated special. I have no clue how those guilds work or what one has to go through, so don't get angry at me, I'm just trying to get this into a perspective that makes far better sense for me and my character than what it does now.

Illegal aliens - the scourge of any self reliant country.
Re: Rogue stuff... 08/09/2011 03:24 PM CDT
For what it's worth, anyone can effectively "disarm" a plated box by using one of the vial trap components and POURing it on the box in question. Find someone who has gotten far enough in LM and see if you can procure some of theirs. You don't need guild training to do so, so it's something to tide you over until you learn to wedge. I know I personally end up giving them away to fellow rogues and/or tossing them at random critters because I collect more than I ever use, but I'm not in Plat, so...

The L behind the Laphrael

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a shoe.

http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael
Re: Rogue stuff... 08/09/2011 04:51 PM CDT
Just to help you along a little bit in Platinum (without commenting on the difficulty of guilds in general), audience reps only require 2 people and guild members count as 2; so if you can find another guild member, you can get audience reps done (assuming you have the boxes).