Gonna give it a try... 07/11/2011 07:21 PM CDT
Hiya gang,

Been gone from GS for about 10 years I guess, plus or minus a month or two. Been reading the forums, but things seem to have really changed a heck of a lot.

I got that I'll need to re-do things, like my stats and such, but nowhere could I find anything explaining simply how to do it and why I really should. (I'm a simple man, and not the brightest bulb. Also a two-finger typist because of carpal tunnel in both wrists).

I'm going to pop into the game tonight since I just got the word that I can now (obviously, since I'm posting!), and see what happens. I think I'm going to try that 'lich' thing also.

One more about playing...anyone know anything I need/can use (other than WINE) to play on my linux box instead of using windows? (I just recently, two weeks ago, installed an old windows a friend gave me 11 years ago, Win2K Pro. things have gotten so bloated for windows that being stuck on dial-up because of my monetary restrictions keeps me from downloading that 40MB monstrosity of a firewall that is free but has gotten so unbelievably humongous...can't remember the name of it right offhand at the moment, but it's been free since it came out years ago for windows...back when it used to be a 5MB download!!).

Thanks for any help. Sorry if it's not all clear. Just ask if you need more info.

Yonaton

Illegal aliens - the scourge of any self reliant country.
Re: Gonna give it a try... 07/11/2011 08:46 PM CDT
I'd suggest WINE + Wizard + Lich on a Linux platform.

I wouldn't suggest Stormfront -- but I would be interested to know if you decide to try it how you feel about its performance under Linux / WINE.

Other than that -- things have changed greatly. If you haven't been back in game for 10 years or so, you'll first be faced with the conversion options. And there's so much you need to know about current game mechanics to be successful! My advice, be sure you drop by the appropriate profession folder if you're converting a character, and get a summary of the changes.

Also, familiarize yourself with these sites:

http://www.krakiipedia.org

http://www.nilandia.com

http://www.gsguide.net

Welcome back!

Doug, portrayer of the elven arch-magus known as Dionket back in the day.
Re: Gonna give it a try... 07/11/2011 10:37 PM CDT
Hi Doug,

Yep, found those sites already. Like another person stated, there's actually *too much* info, and no way to try and absorb so much of it.

As for my old character, I don't want to convert it. I'd like to keep it just as it was when I had to leave so long ago, if that's possible. Do I just 'play the game' and let it do with my character whatever it needs to do?

The WINE thing...hmmm...I guess I can give it a try, can't hurt anything.

Re: Gonna give it a try... 07/11/2011 10:58 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure if you select an existing character to play, you're forced into conversion. The two game systems aren't exactly compatible with skill changes, and new mechanics.

If you don't want to force conversion, you might start a new character until you get your wings under you -- so to speak.

Doug
Re: Gonna give it a try... 07/13/2011 01:37 PM CDT
>If you don't want to force conversion, you might start a new character until you get your wings under you -- so to speak.

Definitely suggested. Especially if you haven't logged your existing character in yet (once you do, you have 30 days of fast migration to play around). That way you have a better understanding of things before you have to commit changes to your old character.

- Greminty
Re: Gonna give it a try... 07/13/2011 09:35 PM CDT
"I wouldn't suggest Stormfront -- but I would be interested to know if you decide to try it how you feel about its performance under Linux / WINE."

I went ahead and tried this anyway (I'm stubborn) and it worked pretty decently, on my system. There is a lag on redraw if, for example, I open up a map with gwenview and then minimize it...it takes maybe 5 or 6 seconds for the frontend to redraw. Not anything that bothers me personally. I haven't been able to get the map stuff to work yet (;narost, ;go2), and since I get lost way too easily, I really like that feature. Until I get it figured out I'll just log in on the (ugh!) windows drive and play there.

Re: Gonna give it a try... 07/13/2011 10:41 PM CDT
I think we can probably get Linux / WINE / Wizard / Lich singing along nicely. Stormfront, though -- when Lich and Stormfront are together, it's painful on Darwin (Mac). Like, deadly, painful.

I'll have to pull out one of my Slackware builds, and see what happens with that, I guess.

In the meantime, don't be afraid to put those four together. I think you'll be pleased.

Doug